How to find out what caused the server load heavy?

My site is disabled by my webhosting ( Site5 ) about 1~2 times a month.
    I hate the feeling to ask them reopen my site while my visitors keep writing to complain.
    Everytime, my webhosting said that my site caused the server load too high to be allowed open. And they shut down my site. They seems not be able to help me to figure out the reason.

Why makes me confused is about the time. Most of the situation happened on not peak time. I check the AWStats, my site is fine even on the most visitors day.

I tried to ask some more advance programmer to check my web scripting and data amounts. They said that should be fine( 3000 visitors a day, 6GB bandwith mostly, less than 60MB database ). I have updated PHPbb and PHPadsnew to the most latest version.
    Though parts of web scrpting is made by myself, my friends said that will be all right.

If it is not related to the web scripting, anyone can provide me a idea how to find out the problem of server load? Especially that my webhosting only can be able to provide me awstats.

I suspect that my site is attacked by Teleport or something like that.
    (AWstats show my site was once vistited by some teleport users)
    Does teleport or other software alike damage the server load?
    Last edited by mark0168; 12-07-2005 at 08:57 PM.

well if they told you your site was using to much ask them for some data to backup the story.

I mean it could be anything that's causing it but without some info from them your not going to fix it.

Also is that 6gb bandwidth per day?
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

If you are able to Telnet in, you can run top to find some interesting stats.

check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467098

It might have some useful information to help you find out what's causing the load overages.

R

Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Also is that 6gb bandwidth per day?
    Not every single day. Mostly 3~6gb a day.

Quote Originally Posted by mark0168
    Not every single day. Mostly 3~6gb a day.
    Hmm 3-6gb per day running phpbb and phpads would seem kida high for shared hosting. Put other users into the resource pool and you could be the one slowing things down.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver
    Hmm 3-6gb per day running phpbb and phpads would seem kida high for shared hosting. Put other users into the resource pool and you could be the one slowing things down.
    I fully agree 3-6 GB a day is a lot for a shared package running phpbb & phpads.

See you have to remember that most host place anywhere from 50 accounts and up on a shared server so if your pulling the 3-6 your killing there other customers with slowness or they just want you gone because your using to much bandwidth.

I recommend looking for a semi-dedicated or a VPS server as if you try to put that on any shared account there all going to say the same thing and your going to keep moving host to host.
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

I know first hand that PHPadsnew puts a bit of stress on the server. That coupled with a high traffic forum = justification for heavy load.