VPS Right for me?

We are getting ready to go live with our site and I am looking for a hosting package that meets our needs.

We have been developing the site over at westhost and I like that I can compile and install my own apps, but there are some things I can't do over there (like install apps into the /lib directory since its not true root access.)

The site we are building runs on linux and is very database intensive, but it won't have a lot of traffic. Maybe 500 visitors per day, and around 5000 page views per day. Each page view will be on average probably 2-3 hits on the database. Also, we need root access as we have several custom cmd line apps that we will need to compile and run on the server (they are not memory resident apps though). The major point is that the site needs to be fast...actually real fast.

So heres my questions:
    1. Is VPS the right solution? Will a single site running on it be "real fast"? (nice vague measurement right.

2. How much guaranteed memory do I need? Is it a simple matter of the more memory the faster the site even with a small number of users?

3. What control panel should I use? (cpanel, plesk, directadmin, webmin???) Whats the difference between these?

4. How reliable is VPS?

Thanks for your time,
    Jason

If your database queries aren't extremely heavy you probably don't even need a VPS. You can do good in a shared enviroment as 500 visitors/5000 page views/15000 db queries per day from a "do I need VPS"-point of view is not very much at all.

ticoroman: performance wise he might not need it, but I think you missed this part:

Quote Originally Posted by jchancel
    We have been developing the site over at westhost and I like that I can compile and install my own apps, but there are some things I can't do over there (like install apps into the /lib directory since its not true root access.)

To answer your questions:

1. Yes it will be, unless you choose a host that doesn't maintain their servers properly. You will need to make sure you have sufficient resources available for your site of course, but from what you described that shouldn't be a problem.

2. Some things like SQL tend to use quite a bit of RAM (the more concurrent queries, the higher the ram usage). But basically every other service also uses ram, and the more the service is used the higher the ram usage will be. From what you described I don't think you'll need more than 256mb ram.

3. For the most simplicity I'd recommend cPanel or Plesk. DirectAdmin is also a great control panel, and offers much more flexibility if you want to install your own applications, but it is a bit less user friendly (in my opinion). cPanel and Plesk are both very user friendly. cPanel in particular basically takes control of the entire vps and all of its services, which makes it very easy to manage. Then again the disadvantage is that if you want to run a custom configuration (on the webserver for instance), there's a good chance that won't be possible (in that case plesk or directadmin would be your best bet).

4. That completely depends on how well the host maintains their servers. If the host properly maintains their servers, VPS is as reliable as a dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    ticoroman: performance wise he might not need it, but I think you missed this part
    Yes I did miss that part. I'm sorry.

I think that a VPS would probably be best for you. That leaves you room to upgrade, and the host can't balk at you for being too intensive.
    Revolutionary Host! Revolutionizing the way you look at hosting!
    Revolutionary Host

Memory - should get 512MB or more. Don't get any less.
    A high spec VPS or a dedicated server is your best bet.

Thanks for everyones input. I went ahead and got 2 VPS accounts (one over at DEHE, and the other at powerVPS).

One will be the primary server and the other is going to be the backup. Now I get to set everything up including sql replication. We will see how that goes.

Anyways, one thing I noticed right off the bat, both of these new VPS accounts are 10x faster than westhost. Also, both of their service depts have been extremely responsive. Seriously, they both responded to tickets within 5 min. Actually, with DEHE, they fixed on of my problems so fast I thought maybe I was just imaging that I had broken something...

Anyways, thanks for everyones help.

Actually, with DEHE, they fixed on of my problems so fast I thought maybe I was just imaging that I had broken something...
    haha!! very funny!

I see a lot of people going with other companies. People should be checking out the services at http://www.justhostz.com . The have VPS packages with Plesk starting as low as $14.95 a month. They are also starting to offer Windows VPS with Plesk for windows Solutions.

RevMagi