Question Coursework question about business organisational structures

Hi,

I'm currently working through my coursework assignment in Business Information Systems, however, I am having difficulty diagrammtically representing a matrix organisational structure. Flat and hierarchical are simple enough, but I can't find many examples on the 'net and when I do,- they are all conflicting.

Can anyone explain to me or show me what a matrix organisational structure looks like so that I can get some sleep tonight!

Thanks in advance,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I am also taking this course (exam Saturday 17th EEK!). Basically, the example is of professors in a university. Along the top it has; Undergraduate, masters, phd, research, executive development, and community service. Along the side it has Accounting, administrative studies, finance, information and decision sciences, marketing, organizational behaviour, and quantitative methods. The definition in my book is "A structure that creates dual lines of authority; combines functional and product departmentalization." So basically, each person reports to two people in the heirarchichal structure, that of say the accounting department head, and the undergraduate program head, depending on what areas they fall under.

Hope that helps.
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Thanks for you help cwatson.
    I still don't fully understand - but i'm starting to get a better picture. I'll get out my books and see if I can get any joy with those.

Thanks again,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

4. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!