sub domains resolve to old host

hi guys, recently i have been forced into changing hosts.

single main site with many subdomains (that are simply scripted to point to main site)

Anyway, time has passed, main site nw correctly points to new host but all sub domains still point to old host.

I thought it was a propogating issue but i have created a new trial subdomain at new host and this too points back to old host..

Im so confused how this is so :red:

Thanks a bunch

Drinkingteddy

Where is the DNS held? If it's at the registrar and has a wildcard pointing to the old host that could explain it. If it's local to the new host, check it for a similar wildcard pointing to the old IP.
    If you can post the domain name, maybe we can see what's wrong...
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

thanks bear, the domain is airport.sc

I see no reference to subdomains at all in the DNS records I was able to view. It's possible that Verio (whom I believe is your host) has set up incorrect "wildcard" subdomain records for your name. You will need to ask them directly to look into it.

thanks..

its weird because some sub domains resolve as they should heathrow.airport.sc and some dont southampton.airport.sc

For me, they both resolve to the same IP: 72.36.250.218
    However, 'heathrow' shows the default Cpanel configuration page. This points to an error in the local DNS file or httpd.conf, and not going to the old host, as you'd suggested.

yeah, thats the weird thing bear, heathrow.airport.sc was working fine and ive not changed anything.. Now it shows the default Cpanel page. Another thats kinda working is kirkwall.airport.sc this resolves to new server along with main site but as you rightly say, all other sub domains still resolve to old server..

I dont know zip about this. Im so confused as to why the main site resolves correctly, one or two sub sites resolve correctly and all others resolve to the old server. The NS at the host point to the new server so i just automatically thought the sub sites would do so also.

But thanks ever so much for your help, but as a newb, this dilemma is killing me.. Why the heck would all my sub sites continue to resolve at old host?????????

They aren't resolving to an "old host", but instead to the default cpanel index page on your current host. THis means that the DNS is not set up properly for the subdomains, and it's getting the "I can't find it" Cpanel page instead.

How were these subdomains set up?
    Were they created on the old account, and moved over?
    Were they created only at the new account?

If you hadn't created these after you moved, then they might need to be recreated. Can you ask your new host for assistance?

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    They aren't resolving to an "old host", but instead to the default cpanel index page on your current host. THis means that the DNS is not set up properly for the subdomains, and it's getting the "I can't find it" Cpanel page instead.

How were these subdomains set up?
    Were they created on the old account, and moved over?
    Were they created only at the new account?

If you hadn't created these after you moved, then they might need to be recreated. Can you ask your new host for assistance?
    1. The sub domains were set up using the park on top of main site using the DNS functions in new host cpanel. Oddly, heathrow.airport.sc worked fine and then without any changes resolved to the default cpanel page.
    2. They were all created on the old account and then all re-set up on new host.

Ive done this using a backend "park" button the guy who wrote the script created. Trouble is, i have discrepancies i.e. they all worked, then they didnt, now some work, some resolve to old server and some to new - and an identical method was used to set them all up.

www.airport.sc is the main site, with links to all sub pages...

but regardless, thanks again for your help, invaluable...

Hmm, you don't park subdomains. Parking is typically for FQDN (fully qualified domain names: domain.com) pointing at the same files as the main domain.

If this is a Cpanel server, you need to use the "subdomain" link to set these up as actual subdomains for them to work properly. Maybe the script you've been using was for an older version of Cpanel, and the new one doesn't work exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Hmm, you don't park subdomains. Parking is typically for FQDN (fully qualified domain names: domain.com) pointing at the same files as the main domain.

If this is a Cpanel server, you need to use the "subdomain" link to set these up as actual subdomains for them to work properly. Maybe the script you've been using was for an older version of Cpanel, and the new one doesn't work exactly the same.
    Well, latest news is that site now has re-propagated back to old server...Without me doing anything..

Have checked registrar and it points to new server so how can this be so..?

dns problems

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingteddy
    Well, latest news is that site now has re-propagated back to old server...Without me doing anything..

Have checked registrar and it points to new server so how can this be so..?
    When you check are you checking from your end? Try checking from dnsstuff.com or from some other remote location.

Also, what DNS servers are you using during your check?

Try whois to tell you what dns is hosting your web then do a DIG on that DNS to see if it's so. Manually remove all the cached stuff on your PC.

well, im slowly getting to the problem, http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/traver...port.sc&type=A

Looks like the Atlas parent server conflicts with my requirements..

Any ideas how to sort this, registrar issue i guess ?