Good Please Help Me! i saw this offer,

Now i can't find it any where again..

the offer was something like

buy a dedicated serer for 24 months, and pay for all months, get the server permanently yours!

was so similar to that! but the firefox decided to crash on me! please help!!!

Martyn

thanks for much for your help!

Be very cautious with pre-paying for a server, there have been several people on WHT that have been ripped off after paying for a year or more. Basically after 1-2 months there is no way to get your money back if the company goes belly up. ie chargeback, paypal dispute.

Think about it you pay $2-3000 for 2 years of hosting, the company goes belly up in 6 months, they keep the extra money and of course they would never actually send you the server.

Two of the ones I can name off the top of my head are the angelnetworks and arcstudios. I was personnaly ripped off by arcstudios, but fortunetly I was able to reverse the visa charges. I have two LT servers now, one prepaid for a year.

If it is a major company you're a bit safer but still, no one knows what companies will still be around in 2 years and if you have repeated problems it could be very difficult to get a refund of the partial remaining amount.
    Last edited by TFArchive; 12-07-2005 at 10:08 AM.

no its pay on a montly basics. just if you pay for that long etc.. etc

are you referring to a rent-to-own service?
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

no its pay on a montly basics. just if you pay for that long etc.. etc
    Which is it? You pay monthly, or for a long time?

- Tomer
    Christmas time is among us, get your loved ones Designer Fragrances

I know Ezzi.net used to do rent to own. Not sure if they still do it though.

The problem with that deal, in my opinion, is that in 24 months, that server is going to be bottom of the line... so you will have paid well over the cost today of buying the server outright, and by the time it is paid off, it will be nearly obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel74
    The problem with that deal, in my opinion, is that in 24 months, that server is going to be bottom of the line... so you will have paid well over the cost today of buying the server outright, and by the time it is paid off, it will be nearly obsolete.
    The flip side is that they will also have received service for 2 years , that has some value does it not?
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Certainly, that is true.

But it seems to me the best option is to just buy a server up-front if you need to own it... I guess if you can't afford to do that, it might not be a terrible option, although it would probably be cheaper to charge it to a credit card and make payments than do it that way through the DC.

IMHO, makes more sense to lease than to "rent to own", because at least with a lease you can always upgrade the server and you're not stuck with old, obsolete hardware that you paid 1000% interest on.

Edit:
    If the term were less (say, 3-6 months instead of 24 months) it might be worth it.

I'd stay away from a 24 month RTO unless the deal is something really nice, and look into what the shipping charges will be at the end of the 24 months if you make it that long.

We don't do RTO right now, but when we did, we only did 6 or 12 months, 24 months is a long time, if you are paying more for the RTO than you would for the dedicated, do the math and consider how much value a computer loses after two years.

Also, if you keep your server online past the RTO period, what do they charge you? You should also keep in mind that once you own that server, you are responsible for its hardware, if 24 months and 1 day into your plan, the hard drive fails, are you going to be laying out cash to buy another?