Hosting Gameservers.

Okay, I'm planning on buying the L2-AMD-SEMP-2600-A server from Layered Tech, just to start off. I'm wondering how many gameservers (Counter-strike 1.6) it can hold. Here are the server specs:
    • AMD Sempron 2600
    • 80GB IDE Hard Drive
    • 512MB DDR RAM
    • Bandwidth: 1000GB
    • IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
    • Private VLAN
    • Basic Resource Monitoring
    • FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
    • 100% Self Managed and Dedicated

Probably around 5-6, more if you get 1024+ ram.

EDIT: That's without any customers complaining, anyway.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding more RAM to it later on when I need more servers, but what will the quality be of each server?

EDIT: What do you mean "That's without any customers complaining, anyway."?

The quality should be pretty good with only 5-6 servers, minimal choke and regular ping. The professional gaming hosters keep their loads to a minimum - if you're starting out you may want to experiment with it and see how many customers you can get on there without any lag. Do frequent checkups on your customers and see what they say. My friend put about 8 customers on one box with similar specs and had complaints all the time until he finally cancelled the box & refunded his customers.

8 customers as in servers?

Yes, 8 gaming servers ranging between 16 and 20 slots. (When I say gaming servers I'm referring to Steam games, also)

Okay, now, what control panel and OS would you recommend for the use of hosting gameservers?

Also, I should mention that you'll find about a dozen topics on this with the search feature.

Okay, now, what control panel and OS would you recommend for the use of hosting gameservers?
    I would always recommend FreeBSD, although windows is fairly popular for gaming servers. As far as control panel...there are a few gaming control panels out there, I don't think any are all that great though.

So when you set up a gaming server, you do it directly through FreeBSD?

I highly highly highly recommend TCAdmin. They're proven for windows. Linux version is being tested right now. Simply the best. tcadmin.com

As far as running game servers. Expect each cs1.6 server to use up to 100 MB RAM. I've been running them on Dual Xeon 2.8 ghz machines. A full 16 man cs1.6 may use 1-4% cpu. Source servers can use much more >20% when full.

You should be looking at dual processors. Also, you want each client to have their own (unshared) ip address..so 5 usable is not enough. Try more RAM as Serpico suggested. The hard drive will work fine.

Well, I'll host 4-5 servers for now and then i'll get another 512 MB of RAM, my plan is to get enough clients so i don't have to pay the server cost with my money, so then i can use my money to expand the server's capabilities. Another quick question, which OS should I get? Windows 2003 Web or Standard? Oh and I'll upgrade to 13 usable IPs too.
    Last edited by unixping; 12-07-2005 at 03:05 AM.

How much bandwidth does one server use?

First off, I am assuming you will be running these servers at the hlds standard tickrate. 4-5 servers running on that amount of proccessor speed and ram seems highly unprobable. I had a Athlon 64 3500 with 2GB of DDR running 4 servers (2 at 500 tick, 2 at 250 tick) and there were some fairly decent CPU spikes when the servers filled up. You may want to rethink the sempron and the 512MB of RAM but that is just my advice. Good luck

Ouch. 5-6 Games on a Sempron?

suggestion... don't use celeron or sempron for game servers... max I think you can host on that is 2-3 16 slot servers. I definitely recommend that you stick with 2.4 kernel on this one.
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeavenger
    suggestion... don't use celeron or sempron for game servers... max I think you can host on that is 2-3 16 slot servers. I definitely recommend that you stick with 2.4 kernel on this one.
    A 2.4 kernel is worthless when you are hosting servers with 100fps or more because a 2.4 kernel has a 100Hz timer while a 2.6 kernel has a 1000Hz timer. If the OP decides to use Windows, he will not need to worry about this at all as the high resolution timer can be activated simply by opening windows media player.

well, considering his specs yeah, I would recommend stick at 100hz.
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

Agreed, Semprons are more the beginner's webserver than anything else. If you have ever tried playing games on one you would know exactly why.

Don't ever underestimate the power of AMD. But yeah, 5-6 gameservers would be too much for Sempron, I would recommend to get as much as ram as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich
    Ouch. 5-6 Games on a Sempron?

thats what I as thinkin. Might want to jump that to an amd64/p4 with a gig and then you can squeeze a bit more out of it....unless the servers are empty all the time then you are in business!

Okay, how many servers (at 500 tick, at 250 tick)can I run with these specs?
    • AMD 64 Athlon 3200+
    • 80GB IDE Hard Drive
    • 1024MB RAM
    • Private VLAN

dual processors....NOW!

If you are serious at all you'll want to be using Dual CPU servers
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

The big problem with hosting more than 1 HLDS on a single machine is that at any time you build stats, or you change the map, the other HLDS instances will lag momentarily, but that can get hectic.

Dual CPU eliminates this problem, and have SCSI drives or RAID 0 SATA will help too.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Quote Originally Posted by unixping
    Okay, how many servers (at 500 tick, at 250 tick)can I run with these specs?
    • AMD 64 Athlon 3200+
    • 80GB IDE Hard Drive
    • 1024MB RAM
    • Private VLAN
    maybe 60 slots max at 500 tickrate
    Devoted Host
    Quality Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    http://devotedhost.net/
    MegaBlog!

Quote Originally Posted by dhAndrew
    maybe 60 slots max at 500 tickrate

where are you getting this exact figure from?

Quote Originally Posted by rmurray321
    where are you getting this exact figure from?
    a dual 3ghz xeon can handle about 80-90 players cpu wise at 500tickrate and since its a bit slower being an amd 3200 I doubt it could handle more than 60.
    Devoted Host
    Quality Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    http://devotedhost.net/
    MegaBlog!