Ex-U.S. attorney general defending Saddam?

I find this very interesting that former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark is on the deffense team of Saddam trial.

What do you guys think? Is he doing this for money or maybe because he believes there is a lot of truth to be uncovered here?

Here is an article on CNN befor he joined the team.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...hussein.trial/
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

It's really not much different than any defense lawyer representing any other infamous defendant. That's the way the system works; everyone gets a lawyer. Clark also, in fact, worked on the defense team for Slobodan Milosevic.

Of course, Clark has long been a critic of U.S. foreign policy and has questioned the legality of U.S. involvement in Iraq in particular.

Anyway, here's his explanation: Why I'm Willing to Defend Hussein.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Thanks for the link, I find this very interesting... In my opinion it is very different to have a normal lawyer than a former US attorney defending you.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

Quote Originally Posted by wbpro
    In my opinion it is very different to have a normal lawyer than a former US attorney defending you.
    Sure, but it's what Clark's been doing since leaving office. He's also defended David Koresh of the Branch Davidians, Leonard Peltier, Karl Linnas (former Nazi concentration camp commander)... and this is at least his third war crimes trial defense.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC
    It's really not much different than any defense lawyer representing any other infamous defendant. That's the way the system works; everyone gets a lawyer. Clark also, in fact, worked on the defense team for Slobodan Milosevic.

Of course, Clark has long been a critic of U.S. foreign policy and has questioned the legality of U.S. involvement in Iraq in particular.

Anyway, here's his explanation: Why I'm Willing to Defend Hussein.

that link was good and, i tihnk its fair enough, because IMO, i do believe that it'd be very hard to get a fair trial, since the bush administration is really trying to condemn him.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Clark has questioned the legality of U.S. involvement in Iraq in particular.
    Quite rightly may I add.

Him defending Saddam helps the trial be more fair, as by having a westerner, it ensures (better) coverage in USA - and more pressure on Bush (god dont you wish that those kids instead of shooting thier schools shot him instead).

A defense attorney serves a MAJOR part in any FAIR court system. That is, they question all the facts and make sure that only those that are without a doubt true are those that become fact by law.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

In my opinion I dont think he is doing it for the money, he must have one very good reason and belief to be in saddams defense, not mattering the fact that he is an attorney and is doing his "job"

Quote Originally Posted by VLTalk
    In my opinion I dont think he is doing it for the money, he must have one very good reason and belief to be in saddams defense, not mattering the fact that he is an attorney and is doing his "job"
    And that reason is more than likely not that he believes Saddam is innocent. Rather it makes America look better and the trial is more than fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Xshare
    A defense attorney serves a MAJOR part in any FAIR court system. That is, they question all the facts and make sure that only those that are without a doubt true are those that become fact by law.
    Re-read the topic again .

Quote Originally Posted by VLTalk
    In my opinion I dont think he is doing it for the money, he must have one very good reason
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    And that reason is more than likely not that he believes Saddam is innocent. Rather it makes America look better and the trial is more than fair.
    Apparently neither of you have read Clark's explanation that I linked to above. If you have, there's no room for speculation as to why he's doing it; he makes it very clear.

Apparently neither of you have read Clark's explanation that I linked to above. If you have, there's no room for speculation as to why he's doing it; he makes it very clear.
    I summarized that "explanation" into much simpler terms, no speculation.

you are right, my bad

Ramsey Clark has been representing Saddam's interests for a long time. As some may recall, an argument made against Bush using military force to remove Saddam was that it was unnecessary because economic sanctions were "working". That was sort of true. Saddam could not afford both palaces and WMD's and opted for palaces. But throughout the period of economic sanctions, Clark was lobbying for their removal, because they were harming the Iraqi people. That was sort of true. Oil-for-food money was not enough for both food and palaces, and Saddam opted for palaces.