Which is better using - in name or .net?

Hi,

I'm in doubt with which domain I would be better off, using a - in the name or take the .net extention. The domain will be (not my intended name, just as an example) dream-cars.com or dreamcars.net.

Which one would be better for a money related site? I can't decide. Maybe both???

Michel
    I talk Playstation portable @ www.PSPtalk.net
    Buy and sell in Singapore www.SGPads.com

I would go with a - vs .net in the name of a company
    Domain Maven

if the site is related to interNET services go for .net if it is a presential website go for .com bythe way secure both lol lol

The chances are that if your site takes off you will want both (com and net). So you should just go with the one with the "-".

Yeah, if you can get a .com, grab up the .net and .org too. But if it's not a big deal, get the other one too and hold it. I had to settle for a .net, but grabbed the .org too. The .com is being hoarded by someone. Anything since then, I try to get all three even if I don't know if I will use it. (If it's worthwhile.)

Hmmm, now a slightly different question as well. If someone picks up the .net, is there a chance thats helping your .com site? If they are promoting, probably a lot of people will try the .com instead of .net, which is free traffic :-). You wouldn't loose anything, since I can not imagine anyone typing .net instead of .com.

Maybe a thought not to register .net when you take the .com?

Michel

Good point. A good example is OLN.net, OLN.com looks similar but yet different, and I stumbled onto it.

Ok, I have decided to opt for the com with the - in the name. I won't register the net, lets see if I get some traffic from there :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Siemi
    Hi,

I'm in doubt with which domain I would be better off, using a - in the name or take the .net extention. The domain will be (not my intended name, just as an example) dream-cars.com or dreamcars.net.

Which one would be better for a money related site? I can't decide. Maybe both???

Michel
    Grab .com if you can for your commercial web page, and I'd get .net too for other things (like servers, etc.). .COM tends to be worth more and easier to remember, even if it has a dash.

I don't like .net. But why not try another name?

Quote Originally Posted by Siemi
    Hi,

Michel
    hi, if me, i would take both.. however, i still prefer a domain name without a "-". So, if i have to choose only one, then i'll take .net
    SEO Explained in Video | The SEO Experts that increase your website traffic. Here you go: SEO