SMS Service Status

Hi Guys,

Im thinking of adding a SMS service status option for my customers. Basically something along the lines of either, if something goes wrong they get a sms or, they get sms every now and again assuring them the server is ok...something like that.
    Now im sure I can manage to code something locally but im not sure of how to send the message.
    Do I need to sign up with someone and pay them a subscription to use a gateway of somesort?

Many thanks
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Yes, you will need to sign up with a SMS gateway provider. They will give you documentation in the form of an API that will allow you to interface with their systems in your application to send messages.

Generally, you buy bulk messages (like say 100 SMS messages) and refill your account when you run out. Some also provide subscription services.

One gateway provider that I have worked with before is Click A Tell.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

OK thanks guys

Oh, is the technology easy to integrate?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have wondered this for awhile...

What is the difference between going the SMS route versus email? What are the costs and limitations associated with each?

I have always used the email-to-phone route in the past - there is no burden on the sender this way. Anyone care to comment?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Using an SMS gateway usually produces extra costs for the sender, but no complications for the receiver. Using mail function produces no extra costs for the sender, but sometimes the reciever must go through extra hassle to get the notice (some providers require users to send an SMS to receive the actual message) and/or extra costs (some providers ask monthly fee for this).
    As for technical aspect, sending an email is definately simpler. But gateways usually provide a simple way of connecting their server from within a script, sometimes even with examples in different scripting languages (PHP, ASP, Perl).

In addition, there are only a few companies that provide this email-to-phone feature; I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is only available in the US. Elsewhere, where GSM service is widespread, SMS and MMS are the way to go.

Atleast where I live, there is no cost to the reciever of the SMS message, only the sender.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Try clickatell.com - one of the cheapest providers I've found, and their service seems reasonable and very flexible. They have a whole variety of ways you can connect - via SMTP, SNPP, and HTTP, plus others I think.

At least in my country, every provider has email-to-SMS feature. But it costs. Although fyrestrtr is right, use SMS, it's more reliable and the receiving the notice requires no client interaction.