Domain has Expired but I Still Cannot Buy

There is a domain name I have been watching for sometime now and is over two weeks past its expiration date. When I go to the address it says something like 'If you own this domain please contact us immediately!' Is there a certain buffer period before a domain is able to be snapped up? I have been doing WHOIS searches every day and thus far it does not seem that it has been renewed.

Jon

Expired domains go into a 30 days Grace Redemption period and then a 5 days Deletion period before it's available.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Ocean-

Thanks a lot.

Jon

keep in mind some registrars have their own grace period prior to going into redemption. So, it could be up to 65 days on average from expiration date until it's drops from the registry for public purchase.

It could be even longer than 65 days. It all depends on the registrar. OpenSRS/Tucows used to (and may still, I'm not sure) have an 80 day period before an expired domain could be registered.
    datapimp - You only get one soul, ya dig?

tucows has a 42 day grace period (which is close to the maximum 45 days allowed)
    Domain Maven

Don't forget, even when it is available, one must fight the drop sharks to get it.

clubdrop

or

Snapnames

Those may help. gl.

Better off paying the renewal these days. I decided at the last minute I wanted to keep a name I let drop. After the pending delete phase the registrar renewed and kept the name.

Quote Originally Posted by LexTalionis
    Don't forget, even when it is available, one must fight the drop sharks to get it.

clubdrop

or

Snapnames

Those may help. gl.
    How does Club Drop compare to Snapnames - are they an Enom reseller?
    Internet Phone Systems - Get a professional UK phone presence for your business.
    Feel free to give us a bell on 0845 NUMBERS (686 2377) For some friendly advice.

Note that sometimes you can also transfer an expired domain (which will renew it) as long as you are keeping it within the registrar.

For example OpenSRS will let you transfer another OpenSRS domain even if it's expired. Not sure about other registrars but I've done this a couple of times to get an expired domain.

Im waiting for a domain too. Its hosted by godaddy. It actually expired in october this year. but godaddy seem to be holding it until october next year according to the whois.
    Future Hosting Networks
    http://www.future-hosting.net
    http://www.ircd-hosting.net <IRCD'S
    http://www.dedicateds.net <DED'S

registry adds 1 year wiating for he registrar to renew after the grace period is dne, it will be deleted and the domain expire date will go back.

just keep watching it
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi