tempted with varhosting

Pls. help me out. I'm mighty tempted to get the budgetreseller from varhosting that's like $10 for 5mb. But after digging for some reviews, I saw a lot of horror stories. You see I don't expect great uptime for that amount. Most of my clients will be NOOBs requiring just html. But if I do get a client that uses mysql, I can't have his database be erased. I heard this happened quite a few times with the budget reseller plan holders.

So now, I'm thinking about getting the $20 power reseller plan. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it? Are the databases stable and is the free customer end-support ok? Can anyone point me to a similar plan from a good host? $20 or below - the disk space can be lower. I'm not really concerned about some downtimes, since this seems to be what goes with most shared plans. What I'm afraid of is the possibility of my client's files or database being erased - how do you explain that?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by howardroark
    Pls. help me out. I'm mighty tempted to get the budgetreseller from varhosting that's like $10 for 5mb. But after digging for some reviews, I saw a lot of horror stories. You see I don't expect great uptime for that amount. Most of my clients will be NOOBs requiring just html. But if I do get a client that uses mysql, I can't have his database be erased. I heard this happened quite a few times with the budget reseller plan holders.

So now, I'm thinking about getting the $20 power reseller plan. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it? Are the databases stable and is the free customer end-support ok? Can anyone point me to a similar plan from a good host? $20 or below - the disk space can be lower. I'm not really concerned about some downtimes, since this seems to be what goes with most shared plans. What I'm afraid of is the possibility of my client's files or database being erased - how do you explain that?
    I started out with the budget reseller from Varhosting and it was horrible. After a month I upgraded to their power reseller plan THR2 and its a much better server and the support they offer my clients is a huge plus. I am on node104 which seems to be a good one to be on; not much down time. I've been with them since April and have no plans to leave. BGFweb.net is also good, I have a reseller account with them too.

The company you decide to go with will be your backbone. The key things you will need is 1) Reliable support 2) Stability 3) Experienced staff -- These are the three keys to making your company successful. Good luck.

You may have to try their PremiumReseller plans if you need more stability.

Hi howard:

Your client files and databases will not get erased. mySQL databases can only be dropped via your control panel, via SQL or via the command line by removing the files in /var/lib/mysql.

Cheers,
    Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

I'm using varhosting since january last year. I had good times and bad times. BUT my sites didnt suffer. I had all kinds of problems that support solved. A thing i dont like is that i think support arent native english speakers as sometimes i feel they dont understand what i'm saying. Overall i have high OK rate with them. I was on node100, celeron server, which actually is really really good server. Now i got moved to UK server as i wanted europe. I'm still transfering my accounts so can't give you a right opinion now. All i can say is that EU server is way way faster then the US ones, for me. Cause i'm from EU.

I'm satisfied. I bugged support like 5 times a day last days as i need help on settings up things on the new account. Only nice and respectous answers.
    Ill make a review of the 3 hosts i'm using (mkoh/varhosting/resellerzoom) soon. I'm currently satisfied with mkoh, very satisfied with resellerzoom, EXTREMLY satisfied with varhosting. I'm not thinking of changing provider. They ROCK. Especially ROJ.

Quote Originally Posted by howardroark

If you're at all planning to grow as a web host it would be a bad idea to start off knowing you're going to be providing your clients marginal service.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

varhosting

I have had an account with varhosting for almost a year now. Initially I located them through WHT and found them to be very helpful. Support was awesome, setup time was good.

I currently have the largest budget plan with them. The first problem i had occurred right out of the gate. node103 suffered a DOS attack i believe it was, and crippled the server I was promptly moved to node106, which at the time was considered a power reseller server. After that my poblems resolved themselves for quite a while. experienced great uptime support was very friendly and quick.

Then var started to expand into VPS and and a new line of premium reseller acocunts, dual opetron server i believe.

As they grew over the past year uptime became significantly worse and support seemed to become less and less supportive (live support that is) instead of being able to fix the problems as you spoke with them.. you were refered to the helpdesk where you would create a ticket outlinign the same issue you just spoke to them about to find out hours later that the SAME chat operator had just taken care of your helpdesk ticket...

I'd say overall I got about what i paid for and for someone with an application that isnt mission critical etc. persnal site or a bunch of friend's sites. go for it. But I would definetly weigh your options.

If you heard people got food poisoning at a restaurant... would you go eat there with your clients?

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt
    If you heard people got food poisoning at a restaurant... would you go eat there with your clients?

haha...good analogy there Matt
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

almost a year with them so far so good but don't go for budget reseller

what about their windows plan? is it good? or...

i still doubt with their quality...
    when i ask them for WRMINI package on live chat, they don't know anything about this package.. really weird..

Quote Originally Posted by l1onheart
    what about their windows plan? is it good? or...

i still doubt with their quality...
    when i ask them for WRMINI package on live chat, they don't know anything about this package.. really weird..
    maybe they outsource their support to someone who doesnt know much
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSchroeder
    As they grew over the past year uptime became significantly worse and support seemed to become less and less supportive (live support that is) instead of being able to fix the problems as you spoke with them.. you were refered to the helpdesk where you would create a ticket outlinign the same issue you just spoke to them about to find out hours later that the SAME chat operator had just taken care of your helpdesk ticket...

I'd say overall I got about what i paid for and for someone with an application that isnt mission critical etc. persnal site or a bunch of friend's sites. go for it. But I would definetly weigh your options.
    I think Mike is correct. Consider varhosting if you aren't running a mission critical site. After all their pricing is very nominal for a reasonable good support.

But lately they do have more downtimes. My site had 2 downtome in the last week. But both the times, it came up within 30 minutes after i contacted the support over chat.

Summary, has downtimes (I guess others have them too) but support responds.

I think only expensive hosting plans can gaurantee minimal downtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt
    This is the best analogy I've ever heard on the subject, good job! And I couldn't agree more.

node 103 down yesterday and today cant even complain on their furum as they need to resend Forum email confirmation which they never do! and online help is not online!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro
    maybe they outsource their support to someone who doesnt know much
    They own an outsourcing company called TripodSupport. Do a review on them and you'll find many horror stories. My personal experience with the sales rep wasn't all that great...

I had a customer decide between us and VarHosting. They chose VarHosting (they activated the account instantly which is what he wanted. We on the other hand have a 24 hour setup time), however, a week later, I get an email saying he is really unhappy with them and asked to move to us.

Personally, I have had no personal experience with VarHosting, but I have heard a lot of negative things here...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

Why do people keep signing up with these clowns?

I have had experience of them, and it was a tale of woe.

Empty promises about how things were going to get better - that was 12 months ago, and it hasn't. now reading their own support forum, even the promises and spin has stopped. In fact things have got a lot worse!.

I honestly don't appreciate being called a clown but I do apologize for the problems on node103 that meant the downtime you faced almac.

Regards,
    Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

I would be wary, I was with varhosting for about 8 months and this is what happened while I was there. The server I was on node100 was 100% full so I could not access my cPanel for 2 weeks, which happened several times. Also, when I asked for support on this issue, they said they were working on it to no avail. to add to that, the server was down at least a week out a month constantly. If you go with var, I would recommend staying away from node100 and now it looks like 103 as well!
    Andrew Kuriger
    I.T. Specific LLC. !!NOW OFFERING VPS ON ALL SERVERS!!
    BurstNET™ Discount Reseller!
    www.ITSpecific.com

with this bad feedbacks i find myself lucky or whatever you call it but somehow i did not experienced such thing ...and latley their support is doing fine.in fact after one year with them i decided to use theier end user support(helpdesk and live chat)...its working as i expected. maybe i was just fortunate that im located in a diffirent server. i think.

Hey Roj, why is it that you are able to post on this forum, but always neglect your paying customers on your OWN support forums. Since you are obviously online at some point, so why is it that perfectly legitimate client and support questions remain unanswered for weeks on your own forums??.

Your clients are being continuously ignored and yet you have copious amounts of time to post on WHT, now by anybodies imagination that is downright RUDE.

let me remind you of some of your unanswered posts on your own support forums.

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=916.0

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=920.0

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=912.0

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=915.0

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=907.0

http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=923

These are just a few recent topics, I could easily post more going back months to prove that it isn't a recent issue either, but take a look at their forums for yourself, and ask the following questions:-

(a) Where are the support staff and why aren't they re-assuring their clients and answering their questions. Remember this is Varhostings OWN support forums, yet their staff never use it

(b) Many VH clients are resorting to posting their questions on the support forum out of sheer desperation because their support tickets are going unanswered for hours!. How many support staff can you see answering questions on the threads, and how many recent posts are by Roj?.

(c) The common theme is that live help is always busy, so making it superfluous

Roj, you may have answered the Node 103 downtime here, but haven't bothered to carry out the same courtesy on your own forums!.
    Last edited by Chris1973; 05-27-2006 at 05:15 AM.

all my sites on VH are currently down.

As I am one of the persons made some of the posts in the varhosting forum I will say that this is not the way I expect to have support from Varhosting/Bungeecode. No this posts is more to communicate with other customers on the same host.

About the support I normaly have contact over the chat very fast. 10 minutes. And when doing a support ticket in my "end-user" system they normaly comes back within an hour.

But it happens that I become a bit frustrated because I se a bad comunication between the helpdesk persons and the second line onsite persons. So many time I have the answer "we are working on it" but they can not explan whats the problem and how long they expect the stop.

But on the other hand I have what I pay for.

To compare my Bungecode 2 Gb reseller with enduser support that cost £6.99
    To have the same from InnoHosting (that made some posts in this tread) I have to pay £9.99 plus £ 8.99 and then I do not have private nameservers.

Hans

all my sites with VH down again

I am faced with my fourth downtime in the last 10 days. Last one was yesterday.

I am not sure if this is a regular affair now Or if this a temporary issue that VH is facing.

Check the varhosting forum thread ..
    http://www.varhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=921.0

As Chris1973 observed, Sad but true, I have not seen any response from Roj to any of my posts on varhosting forum.

I had a very good first impression of VH. I want to give them one more chance.

thanks,
    poonam