Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which OS to Pick

I was looking into a server from Layered Tech. They have a bunch of OS's I can choose from. Which one would you recommend and why?

FreeBSD 4.x
    FreeBSD 5.x
    Fedora Core 3
    Fedora Core 3
    Debian Stable
    Debian Sarge
    OpenBSD 3.x
    NetBSD 2.x
    CentOS 3.x
    CentOS 4.x
    Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 - Extra $27/mo - what makes this one worth more?

Regards,

Dave

It depends what you want to do with this server. I know that Red Hat is a top line OS, it is something that the community trusts. I think it is also really good if you want to use Oracle.
    Need C Class Diversity For Your SEO Campaigns?

Get SEO Hosting From Arctic Hosting

Well it will be for web hosting, just not sure why it costs more from LT but places like theplanet and servermatrix offer it for free.

I'd pick that one
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Quote Originally Posted by justadollarhostin
    I'd pick that one
    Which one?

I <3 CentOS 4.x for hosting
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Tebow
    I <3 CentOS 4.x for hosting
    Why, what do you love about it, what does it do that the others don't?

Oh wow my wonderful techie has already posted lol
    I'll have to second his vote for CentOS 4.x (4.2 actually)

Let me list some reasons:

First, you dont have to pay the extra $27 per month that you do with Red Hat Enterprise, yet it's the same exact thing (minus the support from redhat).

To our extent of testing the O.S. it had one little hiccup with the SCSI drives on one of the machines, when compiling the kernel for 4.2 you NEED to have a thing or two compiled into it (thanks rack911). CentOS 4.2 is a fairly flexible and stable operating system that provides what Red Hat Enterprise does without the cost. I also like the fact that the performance on it is very good (40% faster from fedora core 3, tested using same machine encoding/decoding files)
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Quote Originally Posted by Jako
    Which one?
    That one! *points*

I hope you can start to see the point of my posts There is no perfect operating system. All you are getting is what everybody else likes to run, and this is not their machine. Instead look to what you are familiar with and what runs best with your application set. If you don't have experience with any of them, then you should look to whatever company is going to be taking care of your machine to what they work best with.

If I created a "favorite pizza topping thread", the winner most likely would not match what is right for me.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I've heard a lot of good things about centOS, looks like I will go with that. If you guys have any other suggestions, let me know.

Slackware! Oh wait its not on the list

More Unix-like

OpenBSD for maximum security at perhaps some reduction in user friendliness
    FreeBSD for good stability and performance under load
    NetBSD if you are already used to using it

Linux solutions

Debian stable for a very stable platform with good user-friendly but with generally slightly older versions of software packages

Debian sarge if you want to perhaps give up a bit of stability for more current applications.

Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 - Extra $27/mo - what makes this one worth more?

If you are already used to using RedHat. Stable commercial version costs more because there is support directly from RedHat and the licence costs the host a fee, which they pass on.

CentOS if you want most of the RedHat features and way of doing things in a free no licence version

I would not use Fedora on a production machine (though many do) as it remains a test bed/experimentation distribution.

In the end it depends what you are used to using and your needs. Any are reasonable choices. Realize that if you want cPanel/WHM it works better on Linux than BSD.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

CentOS 4.X+

It's RHEL (red hat enterprise) but free!
    Perfect, updated quickly by developers and flawless: Enjoy!

It wouldn't be smart taking the advice of anyone here -- you should use the one that fits your technical abilities the best.

I personally recommend FreeBSD just because that's the one I'm the most comfortable with. If you're using apackaging system that you aren't intimately familiar with, you're begging to be exploited sooner or later!

Btw, RedHat Enterprise is more because it isn't free. They've got to pass along the cost of offering that to you -- nothing wrong with that, but it probably isn't necessary for you.

HostingEnthusiast,

If he had already known his own flavour/technical abilities: He wouldn't be here asking.

CentOS for sure!
    NEW Hosting solution coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by David
    HostingEnthusiast,

If he had already known his own flavour/technical abilities: He wouldn't be here asking.
    Exactly.

And before I go off looking like a retard or anything: Just remember that just about every package retrieval system (apt-get, yum, etc.) can be installed on everything.

If you're comfortable with apt-get - get it!
    If you're comfortable with yum - get it!

//Note: I'm level1 but my beating stick is level3!

I still stand by the simple answer of: Pick the one that's best for you.

He has not given us anything to actually go by in deciding what type of OS he should choose. What if I told you all of a suddent that he wanted to do streaming WMV's? Wouldn't everybody then start saying Windows!!! What if I told you he wanted to run a LiveJournal.com clone? Well Debian would be the way to go.

Actually guys, he is going to be offering shell services (anybody who knows LT knows this won't be the case, but if it was) I'm sure we'd hear many people, even Linux lovers, saying *BSD is the way to go.

Nevermind, he is looking to run such and such control panel that doesn't support BSD, well time for CentOS!

The list could go on and on and on.

Here's how you choose the best OS (notice they are in an order, but not a specific order. The position on the order has no weight in my post).

1. What your applications are going to run best on.
    2. What you like/have experience with.
    3*. What your admin likes/has experience with.

* = Replaces number 2 if it does not apply.

edit:
    I'm level1 but my beating stick is level3!
    That was a good one, definatley made me chuckle.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

doublep,

I'm afraid your post made little sense.
    Care to elaborate?

he said his custom freebsd kernel is stuck in his duh.

he's just accumilating posts so he can spam
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting • Managed Dedicated Servers • SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 • www.webair.com • 24/7/365 Support • Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Well, I think my post had some content beside the slight cynicism, although I doubt many of you agree with my choice of FreeBSD

Honestly, do any of you here believe that posting on a message board is the best way to gain insight into which OS you would like the most? I think every technical board that I've seen that question asked on was specifically made as a troll and/or caused a huge flame war.

When I'm truly interested in learning about something, I do a search to find existing resources that are worth looking at (such as previous forum posts or someone's personal rants on the subject), then I look to technical docs from the ones that seem suited best. If there are any questions left, of course posting on a message board is a great way to not only learn a lot more but also have the replies there for anyone who posts in the future.

But, either way, I guess as long as there aren't any flamewars started because of it, it can't be too bad, and I can continue to suggest that he bow before the might that is FreeBSD

CentOS would be my choice.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

As an addendum, if you are not sufficiently informed to chose the OS for your server, I'd advise hirring a systems administrator who is knowledgeable and acapable and discussing it with them as they are likely going to be the one managing your server.

HostingEnthusiast said: It wouldn't be smart taking the advice of anyone here -- you should use the one that fits your technical abilities the best.
    Thanks for the blanket insult. Does it include yourself?
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

For generic webhosting, with cPanel, CentOS 4.x is probably the best.
    RHEL costs more because RH give you support for the price. CentOS is RHEL, but without the support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast