Hosting for an European from the States

Hi!

I'm planning to relocate my site and possibly opening a reseller channel for various web sites that I work on. I've been looking at some hosts (Bluehost, Micfo, Hostgator), and then searching this forum for user comments, but I am unable to reach a decision. Therefore, I would like to ask you directly - what host do you suggest for me (based on the parameters below)?

The qualities I'd like in a host are:

- stable (as in, the company won't just disappear overnight)
    - reliable (support works, billing works, services work as promised, etc)
    - flexible (willing to negotiate some terms and customize the hosting plan(s) at a later date)

Hosting plan minimum requirements:

- 40-60GB traffic/mo
    - 1GB of space
    - PHP4 (non safe-mode)
    - some stats (awstats, etc)
    - MySQL
    - POP3
    - FTP access
    - Apache htaccess
    - shell access/SSH
    - domain registration/renewal included in monthly price
    - no set-up fees
    - accepts a credit card
    - site goes offline when transfer limit exceeded (no surcharges)
    - unlimited & free mail/ftp/etc accounts

The following features would be a definite plus:

- cron jobs / ability to use eggdrop
    - JSP/servlets
    - HTTPS/SSL
    - mailing lists
    - IMAP
    - reselling opportunities

Micfo's "MG Special" package seems to fulfil pretty much all of these, but some forum searches here got me concerned about their stability and reliability. What's their status today? Are there any other hosts that I should consider?

I am also slightly concerned about taking the hosting out-of-country/out-of-continent, the payment side makes me nervous. If you live in Europe and are hosted somewhere else, please let me know how it has been for you.

Thank you in advance for any information!

edit: Forgot something - I'm prepared to pay around $10-$15/mo for the service (with a one-year plan at a time).

I can tell you that most webhosts will be able to provide you with cronjobs, however eggdrops will be out of the question for most providers, reason being most uplinks prohibit irc, therefore that rule has to get passed down.

As for
    HTTPS/SSL
    - mailing lists
    - IMAP
    - reselling opportunities
    almost any host can provide you with that, if the host has CPanel then IMAP support is already there, along with mailing lists.

Feel free to ask any other questions, I'm available.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

http://www.resellerzoom.com/ is a great website, but I don't think it has JSP.
    Need C Class Diversity For Your SEO Campaigns?

Get SEO Hosting From Arctic Hosting

(Due to fighting against the vbCode restriction which decided to kick in for some reason, this post is a bit.. spartan.)

>> I can tell you that most webhosts will be able to provide you with cronjobs, however eggdrops will be out of the question for most providers, reason being most uplinks prohibit irc, therefore that rule has to get passed down.

Oh, I can live without it. Just thought it'd be nice to have that possibility, but it is in no way a requirement.

>> Feel free to ask any other questions, I'm available.

Here you go!

1) Is Micfo reliable these days?

2) How does Site5 cater to the following points?

- domain registration/renewal included in monthly price
    - site goes offline when transfer limit exceeded (no surcharges) (the Site5 site only mentions that overage is $2.5 for a GB)
    - cron jobs / ability to use eggdrop

3) Do you know of any other established hosts & hosting plans I could take a look at (if they are yours, drop me a private message and convince me.. or something? )?

I'm not sure if answering these questions in public goes against the advertisement clauses in the rules, but how about a private message?

>>resellerzoom.com is a great website, but I don't think it has JSP.

Thanks! I was just about to contemplate on reselling being relatively expensive to start, but those plans seem great for rolling out.

I can't edit anymore (sorry for the double post), but just disregard the private message suggestion. It would seem that that feature is limited here as well.

Hi nanobunny!
    Regarding your question:
    I am also slightly concerned about taking the hosting out-of-country/out-of-continent, the payment side makes me nervous. If you live in Europe and are hosted somewhere else, please let me know how it has been for you.
    -- Well, I live in n. Europe myself, and have accounts with some US-based companies. It works very well for me. My audiences are primarily US-people anyway.

-- Host recommendation: I see you have already looked at some companies that may be good choices. Use your intuition to choose among them...
    Yes, it is true Micfo went downhill some months ago. Since then they have moved to a new datacenter and after that I've heard very little about them. Present status undecided, IMHO.

PS: hosts are not allowed to offer their services here as I'm sure you know.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Hehe, I suppose I'll just close my eyes and pick one in random. Thanks for the information. My audiences are in the same country as I am in, but I don't think that should be a problem at least with the reliable hosts. And yeah, I am aware that public offers are not allowed, so I figured that PM offers should be OK - but if that was against the rules as well, I apologize.