* Help a newbie set up the DNS (with ZoneEdit)

Hey guys, please help me out if you can.

This is the first time I am ever setting up my own website and its really confusing.

I want to use ZoneEdit but I don't know how to make my website work.

I already have my domain and a webhost. I just need to set up the DNS with ZoneEdit.

I have nameservers that the webhost gave me but I want to use ZoneEdit's nameservers instead so I can handle my DNS with ZoneEdit and just use my webhost for hosting the site.

How can I do this? Im confusing myself over here.

I've been playing around with all the settings for 2 straight days with no sleep and I can't get this to work.

I have ZoneEdit's nameservers working properly with my domain (I set it up with the registrar). But how can I get ZoneEdit to use my webhost for hosting the site?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.
    Last edited by seven-; 12-04-2005 at 01:15 AM.

You would point your domain to ZE, then setup the A, MX, CNAMES, MAIL, etc. records to point to your host. That means you need to acquire the server IP addresses for each fo those records.

Does ZE actuall provide this information or is it up to you to figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by seven-
    I want to use ZoneEdit but I don't know how to make my website work.

How can I do this? Im confusing myself over here.

I've been playing around with all the settings for 2 straight days with no sleep and I can't get this to work.
    I would advise against using Zoneedit (or any other similar service) if you do not have even a basic understanding of DNS records. You are making things difficult for yourself when it is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by gearworx
    The basic Zonedit setup is really just a web interface to enter DNS records into, it would be the same as you entering records manually into a DNS zone on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by gearworx
    You would point your domain to ZE, then setup the A, MX, CNAMES, MAIL, etc. records to point to your host. That means you need to acquire the server IP addresses for each fo those records.

Thanks for the quick reply, gearworx.

It's a whole bunch of blank boxes that I have to fill in.

Like the A and MX Records...

I don't care about the MX and mail right now. First I want to get my site up and running. Do you know how I can figure out the correct A Record? I think this is what I need in order to get the site working with my webhost.

FHL-Wullie, if I use the webhosts nameservers, everything works fine. But what I am trying to do is use zoneedits nameservers instead so that I can manage the DNS. I am hoping I will learn about this in the process

The A record should be the IP number of your web server. Your host should prob already told you this if not try asking them.

If you are using a FTP client and connecting using IP then that IP is what you put for the A record.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    The A record should be the IP number of your web server. Your host should prob already told you this if not try asking them.
    Well that's good to know

Is there any way of finding out the IP number of my web server without asking the webhost?

I emailed them just now anyways, but maybe I can figure this out before I go to bed without having to wait for their reply.

Any Idea?

If you r using Cpanel and http://xx.xx.xx.xx/~yourusername/ is the given direct access url then xx.xx.xx.xx is your IP
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Check our uptime

The way I access CPanel is like this:

h**p://mydomain.com/cpanel

They dont give me the IP at all

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    I would advise against using Zoneedit (or any other similar service) if you do not have even a basic understanding of DNS records. You are making things difficult for yourself when it is not necessary...
    Ok so for the past 3 days, while on my journey to hell and back, I have learned absolutely nothing and possibly snipped a couple of years off my life due to agonizing sleepless stress.

So yeah, I decided to take your wise advice. Now where is my bed.

Hmm, I don't see why your host can't give you your IP. That's pretty bad customer support.

Ok, here's a "stupid" (but it works) way of finding your IP on your own.

1) Use your webhost DNS:
    example:
    ns1.yourwebhost.com
    ns2.yourwebhost.com

2) Wait for DNS propagation (could take couple mins or as long as 48hrs)

3) HostName Test your domain here:
    http://www.websitepulse.com//tools.php3
    this will output the IP of your webserver.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Check our uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    Hmm, I don't see why your host can't give you your IP. That's pretty bad customer support.

Ok, here's a "stupid" (but it works) way of finding your IP on your own.

1) Use your webhost DNS:
    example:
    ns1.yourwebhost.com
    ns2.yourwebhost.com

2) Wait for DNS propagation (could take couple mins or as long as 48hrs)

3) HostName Test your domain here:
    http://www.websitepulse.com//tools.php3
    this will output the IP of your webserver.
    Oh, actually they did give me the IP.

I just gave up while breaking my head trying to figure out what to do with it.

LOL. It doesn't matter now anyways because I ditched zoneedit. Im just going to use the nameservers my webhost gave me and set it up with the domain registrar.

Thanks for all the help though