How to know the amount of RAM VPS is given?

Hello,
    I recently upgraded my RAM on my VPS and was wondering how to know if RAM has got added as I`m totaly new with VPS and this is my first vps and would be greatful if someone can help me out ?

Ok, I'm guessing it you are using Virtuozzo. So log in to your power panel.

Go to 'Resources' located under VPS Management.

Click the 'Extended' button. Click 'Auxiliary UBC Parameters'.

You should now see an extended area. Within 'privvmpages' you should see your soft limit. Divide this by 1024 to gain your RAM in megabytes.
    It's Scott!

I`m using Virtuozzo . Now i see the following so it means i have 128 MB of RAM ?
    Auxiliary UBC ParametersIDCurrent UseSoft LimitHard LimitUnitsDescription privvmpages 51,516 126,750 126,750 4KB pages Memory allocation limit

If the figure under soft limits is 131072, then yes you have 128mb.
    It's Scott!

thanks a ton..

No problem, if you have anymore questions, I'm sure the community would be glad to help you out!
    It's Scott!

Hello .
    My VPS Provider claims this.
    The 126,750 value that you see is not bytes but 4KB pages. So 126,750
    does not represent 128 MB of RAM. I hope that clears thing up for you.
    I`m confused..

What your host stated is correct.

The 126,750 value is in 4 kilobyte pages. Small calculation:

126,750 x 4 = 507,000 kilobytes.
    507,000 / 1024 = roughly 495mb

Looks like it was meant to be a 512MB VE. You may want to have your host increase it a bit to make it exact if I am correct.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

How about Xen? Is there anyway to check the amount of RAM i have?

"cat /proc/meminfo" in your shell

or simply type "top"
    www.xelhosting.com
    High performance Xen VPS hosting since 2005

My soft limit is 14,680,064!!!
    14,680,064 / 1024 = 14336

Suppose to be a 256mb VPS

You are probably looking at the wrong number.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    You are probably looking at the wrong number.
    http://www.seaniboy.co.uk/bb/vps.jpg

That is your allocation limit. However, I'm not sure who your host is, but your host is allowing you to use up to 56 GIGAbytes (!!) of RAM.

Calculation:

14,680,064 * 4 / 1024 / 1024 = 56GB.

Unless your host actually has 56 gigabytes of ram in that machine (which is extremely unlikely), this is a serious misconfiguration, which can basically mess up their entire machine.

I'm just wondering, who is your host?

That is your allocation limit. However, I'm not sure who your host is, but your host is allowing you to use up to 56 GIGAbytes (!!) of RAM.

Calculation:

14,680,064 * 4 / 1024 / 1024 = 56GB.

Unless your host actually has 56 gigabytes of ram in that machine (which is extremely unlikely), this is a serious misconfiguration, which can basically mess up their entire machine.

I'm just wondering, who is your host?
    It's Host Easier. I may have to point this out to them

My understading is that it is the oomguarpages under the Secondary UBC parameters that tells you how much memory has been allocated to your VPS. 131,072 * 4 / 1024 = 512mb. The meminfo command tells you how much memory is on the entire server not the VPS.
    internet Computing Solutions - www.icoso.com
    Web Site Hosting/Design - Internet/Network Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by icoso
    My understading is that it is the oomguarpages under the Secondary UBC parameters that tells you how much memory has been allocated to your VPS. 131,072 * 4 / 1024 = 512mb.
    That's not correct. oomguarpages tells you how much ram is guaranteed to your vps, not how much is allocated.

Hi

Please could some one help me with this, I hve two VPS's and not quite sure on there specs

VPS1 Ram 128 running VZPP and directadmin
    privvmpages (soft limit)32,768 (hard limit)127,000 4k

VPS2 Ram 256 running VZPP and Plesk
    privvmpages (soft limit)235,929 (hard limit)262,144 4k

VPS2 equates to 230mb, iv emailed them and they say its right at 2572224 kB

Why are both the VPS displaying totaly different values for there given ram etc..

Is the soft limit the normal running, and the hard limit is when modules get unloaded

Cheers

Keith

Hello Apoc,

I know you have already stated this, but I am still asking...some techs feel that setting the PRIVVMPAGES to 7 times the actual memory is like setting it to unlimited (and that in fact this is the default VZ setting). So...are you sure it's a serious misconfiguration that could bust the entire node?

I am not implying anything...I am not a VZ tech...I am just asking because I NEED to know this...

Thanks!

Regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyB78; 02-11-2006 at 12:35 PM.

apoc knows far more about this than I do but I think what he was saying is that your host has set a limit which without doubt exceeds the memory in your server. That means that you are allowed to use ALL the memory in the server and will therefore cause problems for other users on the node. I doubt it will result in an error or a crash but he knows this far better than I do.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Well...I am counting on him knowing much more than we do...this is why I asked.

As for what he meant (wether this would actually crash the machine or just bust the resource isolation) I am still waiting on him to clear things up a little bit.

For Xen, you can also simply execute the command "free" to view your current memory allocation.
    ~ Brian
    VPSLAND.com - VPS Hosting Leader since 2005
    Linux and Windows VPS Hosting
    http://www.vpsland.com

Hello. I'm with the "managed" Tektonic plan which offers 512mb ram, 256mb guaranteed.

My privmpages soft limit = 65,536 * 4kb (256mb) while the hard limit is 69,632kb. My ooomguardpages soft limit is 26,112, which corresponds to about 104mb of memory. Do you think this makes sense at all?

[edited for not so correct information]

For Virtuozzo, check the barrier on vmguarpages under /proc/user_beancounters. This is the amount of memory allocated to you. Privvmpages display the amount of memory you are currently using. Oomguarpages display the amount of memory you are allow to burst.
    Last edited by FHDave; 03-16-2006 at 02:24 AM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by seunosewa
    Hello. I'm with the "managed" Tektonic plan which offers 512mb ram, 256mb guaranteed.

My privmpages soft limit = 65,536 * 4kb (256mb) while the hard limit is 69,632kb. My ooomguardpages soft limit is 26,112, which corresponds to about 104mb of memory. Do you think this makes sense at all?
    What is your vmguarpages?
    Last edited by FHDave; 03-16-2006 at 02:17 AM.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

Soft limit of vmguarpages equals 33,792.

That's not correct. oomguarpages tells you how much ram is guaranteed to your vps, not how much is allocated.

you mean vmguarpages? the barrier on oomguarpages (out of memory) tells you the amount of memory a VPS can burst to, without any guarantee of succesfful allocation beyond the vmguarpages.

Quote Originally Posted by seunosewa
    Soft limit of vmguarpages equals 33,792.
    By soft limit, you mean "barrier", right?

That tells you that your VPS is guaranteed roughly 33,792 pages of memory, or roughly ~132 MB memory.

The barrier on your oomguarpages value is set smaller to your vmguarpages. This does not make too much sense. It should be set to at least equal, if not more than the vmguarpages.

Now, your VPS is guaranteed at least 132 MB memory. What is the "held" value on your privvmpages? This "held" value tells you the amount of memory (in 4K pages) your VPS is currently holding/using.
    Last edited by FHDave; 03-16-2006 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xelhosting
    "cat /proc/meminfo" in your shell

or simply type "top"
    Xelhosting use Xen, but you should really not use cat /proc/meminfo to see how much ram you actually have. For xen specific VMs, use this:

Code:
    # cat /proc/xen/balloon
    Current allocation:  1536000 kB
    Requested target:    1536000 kB
    Low-mem balloon:           0 kB
    High-mem balloon:          0 kB
    Xen hard limit:          ??? kB
    Note that Xen uses dedicated RAM, and not overbooked like with Virtuzzo providers usually do . Xen has the performance of a dedicated host and the price of VPS <<<SELF-PROMOTION REMOVED!>>>
    --
    Johan
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 03-18-2006 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForumBV
    Note that Xen uses dedicated RAM, and not overbooked like with Virtuzzo providers usually do .
    That tells me how little you (or your provider) know about Virtuozzo. With Virtuozzo, you can assign a VPS a fix amount of memory with no capability to use more than the fix amount of memory or a guaranteed amount of memory with a capability to burst more (when more memory can be allocated).