* Looking for Ded. Svr with these specs... <=$80 per Month

Right now I'm hosting with ServInt on their basic VPS plan. While I think ServInt is a great company with a super helpdesk, I think their VPS sucks (sorry bobfarmer, get a reasonable dedicated solution!). Now I'm looking to move to a dedicated server. I've been looking around and as usual there seem to be about a million to choose from. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

Desired Specs
    • Single Processor - (preferably AMD, but doesn't have to be)
    • min. 512 MB RAM
    • min. 20 GB HD
    • min 50-100GB Transfer - (preferably on an uncapped min. 10 Mb switch)
    • min 3 IPs
    • 24/7/365 support for reboots/emergencies (I don't need much for support since I'm a UNIX geek by trade)
    • cPanel - (Yeah, I'm a UNIX geek but I'm also lazy and some of my users need ease of use)
    • Preferable OS: CENTOS, Solaris, SLES, GENTOO, RHEL - Dunno if cPanel even supports all these...
    • A stable company that wont disappear in a few months; someone that has good bandwidth so my sites don't crawl, and maybe multiple interconnects. Should be located in the US.

Now the kicker, I'm looking to spend up to $80 bucks a month at the most! (Did I mention I'm cheap too?)

There you are, have at it (or me). I'm curious to hear who you love, who you loathe, and why.

Thanks!
    -Jonathan
    Last edited by AntiGenX; 12-03-2005 at 12:53 PM.

cPanel is kind of pricey in the dedicated market; as ayksolutions says, expect $25/monthish just for cPanel.

I'd recommend you take a look at LayeredTech. They offer machines starting at $65/month (that meet/exceed your desired specifications), although cPanel is another $25/month, for $90/month total.

LayeredTech (like most any place these days, really) gives you 1,000 GB bandwidth, 80 GB disk, and 512 MB RAM.

Depending on how important price is, it might be worth considering replacing cPanel with something else. I've found that clients love it, but as an admin, I hate the thing. It depends on what you're doing with the machine. There's stuff that will fulfill the same basic role for free, but it really doesn't compare in terms of quality. (Check out usermin/webmin/virtualmin for example.)

$65 is one of the lower prices I've seen for dedicated boxes, though you might find better cPanel pricing at another place.

We have some servers with LT, and are extremely pleased with them.

Though, since you're tight for cash, Hivel could do it for about that.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=459952

The 2.1 celly gives you what you want for $49, with cpanel at $25, pulls in at $74

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

you can probably find it for around 80$, i've seen servers sell for 50$/month with setup fees so if cpanel is 25/month that makes it 75/month
    also consider VPS servers. FDCservers has them for as low as 40/month with cpanel
    Ben S.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiGenX
    Right now I'm hosting with ServInt on their basic VPS plan.
    Hi,

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but I'm assuming you're moving away because of performance issues. May I ask you which plan you currently are? 256, 512 or 768?

Thank you!

Regards,

Jaime
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by Apolo
    Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but I'm assuming you're moving away because of performance issues. May I ask you which plan you currently are? 256, 512 or 768?
    I have the basic VPS, that would be the 256.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by AntiGenX
    I have the basic VPS, that would be the 256
    Oh, I see. Thanks for your reply Jonathan.

Now I'm assuming you're moving away because of issues other than performance, since one could think you could upgrade to their next plan, instead of thinking of a dedicated server.

Thanks again.
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

wow,.. the dinix special does look impressive.. anyone have any experience with them?

As far as specs, thats definitely possible. However the cPanel is what's going to cause you to have to raise your budget a bit.

Yes, i have a good experinece with them, i am their customer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by aingaran
    wow,.. the dinix special does look impressive.. anyone have any experience with them?
    do a search, there are dozens of reviews (not positive) mycroftx has been so over zealous in promoting them lately he just seems questionable.

their prices are too cheap which means they'r probably cutting from somewhere and its most likely support
    Ben S.

Quote Originally Posted by commit1Anthony
    As far as specs, thats definitely possible. However the cPanel is what's going to cause you to have to raise your budget a bit.
    I'd agree with that.

Could you consider something like DirectAdmin, which tends to be cheaper, or are your users already familiar with cPanel (and would rather not "retrain")?

Depending on your needs (and your users) you could also consider one of the open-source alternatives such as http://www.vhcs.net/new/ (there are a couple of others mentioned on here in the last couple of months, a quick search should find them). I've not used anything like that myself, but some of them are starting to look pretty much "basic feature complete", and given your Unix experience setting them up should not be too difficult (though almost certainly more legwork than installing cPanel/DirectAdmin/OtherCommercialSolution)