Pilot Reports 'Missile' Fired at Jetliner Near LAX

http://www.kyw1060.com/news_archives...wsitemid=50753

(11/28/05)
    FBI agents and Homeland Security officials spent the weekend investigating the report of a possible missile fired at an American Airlines plane taking off from Los Angeles International Airport.

Sources tell ABC News the pilot of American Airlines Flight 621, en route to Chicago, radioed air traffic controllers after takeoff from LAX. He told them a missile had been fired at the aircraft and missed.

The plane was over water when the pilot said he saw a smoke trail pass by the cockpit.

FBI agents believe it was a flare or a bottle rocket, but say they may never know if that's what it actually was.
    Bottle Rocket??? Bottle Rocket are they nuts or just plain DUMB? In case you don't know what a bottle rocket is. It is a rocket about the size of a firecracker "1 1/2 inches" with straw size stick glue to it. They apparantly are tryiong to cover this up BIG TIME (LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE INVOLVING THIS STUPID WAR)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

It might be bigger, or the smoke could have been from...

According to Daily Pundit
    UPDATE: I just talked with an FBI spokesman from the Los Angeles bureau who told me that the sighting was of "a contrail." The spokesman added that "all investigative leads were vetted and the results were negative." The investigation is now closed.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Bottle Rocket??? Bottle Rocket are they nuts or just plain DUMB? In case you don't know what a bottle rocket is. It is a rocket about the size of a firecracker "1 1/2 inches" with straw size stick glue to it.
    In fairness, "bottle rockets" can be a lot bigger than that. I buy rockets every 4th of July and New Years where the stick is a couple feet long and the rocket is the 6 or 8 inches long.

But ... even these are good for only a few hundred feet. The extra rocket is there to propel a fancy payload, not get bigtime alititude. There's no way they'd get even close to an commercial jet that's been in the air for more than a few seconds.

Sound like another B.S response from the FBI to mislead people...

It might have been an amateur rocket, but the altitude seems rather much too high.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

The plane was over water when the pilot said he saw a smoke trail pass by the cockpit.
    I doubt it was a bottle rocket if the plan is over water...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

More than likely it was a contrail and the angle the pilot saw it at made it appear as if was coming towards his plane. Shoulder launched AA missiles are heat seekers and would be launched from behind the aircraft in order to home in on the engines. Also a shoulder launched missile would be picked up on radar and a review of the ATC data would show it. The high power rockets I launch are often picked up by ATC (prior to launching an FAA waiver is required) and the only significant metal onboard is the motor casing. Also since the plane was over water at that time the "missile" would have had to been launched from a boat and the pilot should have been able to spot the vessel at the other end of the smoke trail (reports indicate the plane was at 6000' at the time).
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

The whole conspiracy argument cracks me up. If this went the other way and the FBI made a big deal out of it saying it was likely a terrorist attack, I'll bet the same people would be saying, "It's obviously a conspiracy! The Bush Administration is trying to drum up support for their counter-terrorist activities!"
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by drizzle
    The whole conspiracy argument cracks me up. If this went the other way and the FBI made a big deal out of it saying it was likely a terrorist attack, I'll bet the same people would be saying, "It's obviously a conspiracy! The Bush Administration is trying to drum up support for their counter-terrorist activities!"

got to agree with you