Win2K to Win2003 is it worth it?

My host has offered me a $40 deal to upgrade my server to Win 2003 from Win 2K. Is it worth it?

yes, IIS6 along is worth the upgrade. it's more stable and better by desgin.

Absolutely. As mention, IIS6 is great. This is the best server OS to date from Microsoft. Very stable and very secure. By default, everything is locked down and you have to specifically allow services. You can't go wrong.

Thanks for the advice, looks like it is time for an upgrade.

If you are running a Win2000 server and it has clients on it, with no problems, I'd recommend NOT upgrading to Win2003. Both of the platforms are equally stable. We run large Win2000 servers with no issues at all.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    If you are running a Win2000 server and it has clients on it, with no problems, I'd recommend NOT upgrading to Win2003. Both of the platforms are equally stable. We run large Win2000 servers with no issues at all.
    i believe IIS6 use different type of worker process than IIS5. there are a lot of flaws in IIS5 that Microsoft finally did it right in IIS6 but like you say if it's working, no need to break it.

personally, i'll switch tho.

IIS6 allows you to divide websites into different pools, and they are run by separate worker processes.

In IIS5 all sites run from one worker process but you can isolate heavy-usage sites in their own worker process by changing them to high-isolation mode.

Why IIS6 has advantages, IIS5 works perfectly well
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I wouldn't recommend upgrading if the site works well too. If you really want to have Win 2003, I would recommend migrating rather than upgrading. With Windows, you won't know what you might break during the upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan
    I wouldn't recommend upgrading if the site works well too. If you really want to have Win 2003, I would recommend migrating rather than upgrading. With Windows, you won't know what you might break during the upgrading.

So so very very true.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan
    isn't that the same for all OS? better backup before upgrade so you can restore back if it goes wrong.

I'd definitely agree *not* to upgrade a working patched-up server. If you want to go to Win 2003 (which is better than 2000) then get a new server.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

Win 2003 has alot of advantages to it, especially IIS6. However there is always the risk of problems during the upgrade. You need to weigh up whether the benfits you'll get are worth the risk.