Thread: configuring DNS

configuring DNS

hello

I think I'm having a basic problem, but I don't get to fix it...

I have domain.com and 1 server with IPs 1.0.0.0-4 and other with IP 2.0.0.0-4, ok?
    then I have ns1.domain.com related to 1.0.0.0 and ns2.domain.com related to 1.0.0.1 (DNS and RDNS)
    I also have domain.com and server1.domain.com related to 1.0.0.0 (domain.com DNS are configured as ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com)

now I want to have server2.domain.com related to 2.0.0.0... but I'm not getting to

I configured the second server hostname as "server2.domain.com" and configured (on server1 DNS), server2.domain.com to point to 2.0.0.0...
    it works, but I don't get to send E-Mails from server2... I get messages like "Sender address rejected: Domain not found", "450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [2.0.0.0]"... but sometimes it works!

So I don't know what to do...
    also, is there a way to make server2.domain.com points to 2.0.0.0 even is server1 is down (maybe setting a domain host on the domain?)?

thanks

usually this error show that you have not RDNS for your hostname. you should ask your DC that they assign it as required.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168

Quote Originally Posted by rustelekom
    usually this error show that you have not RDNS for your hostname. you should ask your DC that they assign it as required.
    they did 2-3 hours ago... is it needed to wait like more than that for propagation?

Quote Originally Posted by Lem0nHead
    they did 2-3 hours ago... is it needed to wait like more than that for propagation?
    Yes,

I have seen it take up to 12 hours.

-[Unknown]
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

yes, usually it may take around 24-48 hours. just check here http://remote.12dt.com/rns/
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168