Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 60
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32

    Atlanta Colocation?

    Hello,

    My area seems to have no good/inexpensive providers looked in Dallas I get pretty good pings from a few there. But I am getting 20's ms pings from one in Atlanta called nuclearfallout.com Can anyone point me to a good colocation in that area. Price matters I need under $200 month I just play some online games and host a few websites.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780
    There is so many providers in Atlanta. The building 56 Marrieta housed a lot of these. Have you look at gnax.com or tenants of Internap?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp
    There is so many providers in Atlanta. The building 56 Marrieta housed a lot of these. Have you look at gnax.com or tenants of Internap?
    Hmmm,

    GNAX is too expensive for what I want. I want unmetered because I don't want to be caught in overages. And I want good speed/bandwidth because I use it for gaming server. How do I find out who is tenants of Internap? I think that nuclearfallout.com is internap but not sure.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    887
    GNAX is NOT too expensive for what you NEED
    If you want quality network, low ping times, good customer support, go with GNAX.

    Internap is more expensive then GNAX

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nugent
    GNAX is NOT too expensive for what you NEED
    If you want quality network, low ping times, good customer support, go with GNAX.

    Internap is more expensive then GNAX
    Well it looks expensive to me but maybe I am looking at it wrong. I got messed up with CIHOST 1/3 rack @ 6mps for $187 but the service and the lag is terrible! So trying not to make the same mistake.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,780

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    3,301
    If you want unmetered or rediculous bandwidth quotas for cheap, you should be utilizing dedicated servers, not colocation, particularly with your target budget of $200/mo.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Well they use COGENT badwidth which I am learning is not very good. I am looking for colocation and not dedicated because I have built a speedy box Dual 3.4 xeons so obviously want to use it rather than rent a much slower box.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    887
    If by 'they' you are referring to GNAX using Cogent, that is correct. GNAX also uses BTN, Level3, Telia, Savvis, Global Crossing plus private peering. That combination provides not only an excellent mix of national and international carriers, but great reliability as well. GNAX also uses Route Science boxen to maximize routing / minimize latency.

    And obviously you built your box in a 1U chassis to minimize your colo costs, right?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    No I built it in a 4u rack/tower from supermicro. Didn't know any better at the time.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    No I built it in a 4u rack/tower from supermicro. Didn't know any better at the time.

    part of your problem is you have gotten used to bottom pricing of cheap network and now you want to continue that pricing but get a network that actually performs well.

    you get what you pay for.

    how much bandwidth are you looking for and how big of an "unmetered" connection are you looking for?

    I think you will have problems finding anything for 200 much less unmetered.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,167
    GNAX is as good of a deal as you'll find in Atlanta for a quality network at a fair price. You'd better slap those components in a 1U chassis and ship it to sailor as soon as you can

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    I think you will have problems finding anything for 200 much less unmetered.
    Could always get 1mbit unmetered

    Cogent is probably a good option here but it would be smart to mix the Cogent with some other carriers.

    Oh, and as usual, gnax come highly recommended.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Who deals with Internap in Atlanta? I get a real good ping to there. Sailor I understand that maybe my first venture into colocating was misguided at best. But trying not to make that mistake again. I just want to get what I need connection wise for the games and few websites I use and not be hit with overages down the road. I got messed up with CIHOST and the price spoiled me butthe connection and service is horrible. I built my server because then I could get the most bang out of my buck. Tell me where I can get a Dual Xeon 3.4 2mb cache, 8 gigs of ram Dual ssci 160's 10000 rpm in raid 800 gigs of sata storage and it not cost me $300+ per month just for the server before providing space and bandwidth and I'll look into it. Thats why I built it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    Who deals with Internap in Atlanta? I get a real good ping to there. Sailor I understand that maybe my first venture into colocating was misguided at best. But trying not to make that mistake again. I just want to get what I need connection wise for the games and few websites I use and not be hit with overages down the road. I got messed up with CIHOST and the price spoiled me butthe connection and service is horrible. I built my server because then I could get the most bang out of my buck. Tell me where I can get a Dual Xeon 3.4 2mb cache, 8 gigs of ram Dual ssci 160's 10000 rpm in raid 800 gigs of sata storage and it not cost me $300+ per month just for the server before providing space and bandwidth and I'll look into it. Thats why I built it.

    im sorry - I really cant - you are still stuck in the world of expecting to get a corvette on a yugo budget. when your budget expectations come up a bit you willfind there are a lot of good optoins for you.

    I agree with the other posters that you will find internap to be even more pricey than some other options mentioned on here. there are several opytions that are as good as internap but a lot cheaper.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    im sorry - I really cant - you are still stuck in the world of expecting to get a corvette on a yugo budget. when your budget expectations come up a bit you willfind there are a lot of good optoins for you.

    I agree with the other posters that you will find internap to be even more pricey than some other options mentioned on here. there are several opytions that are as good as internap but a lot cheaper.
    Ok what options are there, GNAX charges by the u so for a 4u I'm already at $100 per month before I get started. I understand it's a space thing but looks liek there aren't many options out there to me. So that is what I am looking for options for premium or premium/cogent combination or something. But I really need to use the box I have because I have to much invested in it already.

    Thanks

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,114
    We have space in 3 of the best Atlanta data centers. We've got a minimum of 11 cabinets in each. I can't think of one that could even come close to that pricing even with the quantity we have.

    Personally I wouldn't put my gear in a data center that offered that pricing. What that's telling you is they probably don't operate a quality facility and that they are way over selling their bandwidth.

    Also, if you need 4u why do you need a 1/3 of a cabinet. For a locking cabinet $200-$400 is normally the price for the 1/3 cabinet space alone.

    Just an opinion/observation here: I'm always curious why so many gamers think the data industry must/should finance their hobby.
    Last edited by mgphoto; 12-03-2005 at 06:50 PM.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by mgphoto
    We have space in 3 of the best Atlanta data centers. We've got a minimum of 11 cabinets in each. I can't think of one that could even come close to that pricing even with the quantity we have.

    Personally I wouldn't put my gear in a data center that offered that pricing. What that's telling you is they probably don't operate a quality facility and that they are way over selling their bandwidth.

    Also, if you need 4u why do you need a 1/3 of a cabinet. For a locking cabinet $200-$400 is normally the price for the 1/3 cabinet space alone.

    Just an opinion/observation here: I'm always curious why so many gamers think the data industry must/should finance their hobby.
    LOL, I don't think anyone should finance my hobby. I have a 1/3 rack because that is what the deal came with, thats it. Look at thier website if you don't believe me. I am just looking for something that will get me where I need to be. I need the bandwidth that 5-10 mbps affords me but will in no way download/upload 2000 gb per month. I have a dedicated gameserver at serverbeach that has 2000gb per month also. No idea why everyone can do dedicated with bandwidth but no colocated.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,419
    Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    Ok what options are there, GNAX charges by the u so for a 4u I'm already at $100 per month before I get started. I understand it's a space thing but looks liek there aren't many options out there to me. So that is what I am looking for options for premium or premium/cogent combination or something. But I really need to use the box I have because I have to much invested in it already.

    Thanks
    repackage the server to a 1u or sell it and rent a dedicated - I think the latter is the best option. take it on the chin as a learning experience. we have all had them.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    LOL, I don't think anyone should finance my hobby. I have a 1/3 rack because that is what the deal came with, thats it. Look at thier website if you don't believe me. I am just looking for something that will get me where I need to be. I need the bandwidth that 5-10 mbps affords me but will in no way download/upload 2000 gb per month. I have a dedicated gameserver at serverbeach that has 2000gb per month also. No idea why everyone can do dedicated with bandwidth but no colocated.
    As others have mentioned, you're simply just not going to find anything of any respectable quality for your budget. For a 4U server, you're looking at AT LEAST $100/month for the space alone, and that's cheap, especially in Atlanta. Even if you can find a good deal on bandwidth, expect to tack on another $300+/month for 10Mbps bandwidth.

    If you can squeeze your server into a 1U chassis, and you can revise your bandwidth requirements down to 5Mbps, then you might be able to hit slightly under $250/month.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet
    As others have mentioned, you're simply just not going to find anything of any respectable quality for your budget. For a 4U server, you're looking at AT LEAST $100/month for the space alone, and that's cheap, especially in Atlanta. Even if you can find a good deal on bandwidth, expect to tack on another $300+/month for 10Mbps bandwidth.

    If you can squeeze your server into a 1U chassis, and you can revise your bandwidth requirements down to 5Mbps, then you might be able to hit slightly under $250/month.
    Looks like I am going to have to keep my server in Dallas, Just can't afford to build the server over again in a 1u chasis. And I can get 5meg unmetered at colo4dallas.com for $249 and they don't charge by the U. Just wanted in Atlanta cause I could drive there and I got a good ping but oh well.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32

    Atlanta Colocation Pricing vs Dallas?

    1-4U & Tower 5Mbps-Unmetered 8 (5 usable) 1 1 outlet 100% $249 $50
    I get this price for Colo4dallas.com http://www.colo4dallas.com/single_server.asp can anyone in Atlanta offer a similar pricing structure. I really only need 5-6 mbps everything seems to go from 1 to 10 mbps with nothing in between. With 10 I would just be paying for badwidth I wouldn't use. Tried to find pricing in Jacksonville FL where I am located and it is even higher.

    Thanks for the help!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    Posts
    2,085
    5meg unmetered for $249.. is that including or excluding the rackspace and power? If it's just for the connectivity: that's expensive.

    In my opinion colocation isn't worth it unless you can fill up at least one rack, anything less then that will simply cost you more than when you'd get dedicated servers.

    As you can see, the hardware may have been cheaper but the colo and bandwidth costs are a lot higher. Unless you deal with larger quantities colo just isn't worth it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    887
    keep it to one thread, would you please?

    and dont compare high quality bandwidth from GNAX with Cogent bandwidth from colo4dallas-- they are not the same.

    And no, you are not going to find colo in Jacksonville.

    lookit, we realize that you are a newbie, but multiple posts on the boards will not accomplish what you want. Listening to all the responses, and doing what they suggest, will get you closer to what you desire.

    However, dont go into the Porshe dealership witha a Volkswagen budget and a Yugo trade-in

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nugent
    keep it to one thread, would you please?

    and dont compare high quality bandwidth from GNAX with Cogent bandwidth from colo4dallas-- they are not the same.

    And no, you are not going to find colo in Jacksonville.

    lookit, we realize that you are a newbie, but multiple posts on the boards will not accomplish what you want. Listening to all the responses, and doing what they suggest, will get you closer to what you desire.

    However, dont go into the Porshe dealership witha a Volkswagen budget and a Yugo trade-in
    For starters the threads are differnt but whatever. 2- that colo4dallas link is not cogent it is level3 and internap. So maybe before you go off scolding someone you colud read the post. Thought this place was for help?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    5meg unmetered for $249.. is that including or excluding the rackspace and power? If it's just for the connectivity: that's expensive.

    In my opinion colocation isn't worth it unless you can fill up at least one rack, anything less then that will simply cost you more than when you'd get dedicated servers.

    As you can see, the hardware may have been cheaper but the colo and bandwidth costs are a lot higher. Unless you deal with larger quantities colo just isn't worth it.
    The plice is for 1-u to 4u or Tower. All for $249 And no you can't rent a dedicated speedy box for less than $300 per month. So in 10 months my box pays for itself.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nugent
    keep it to one thread, would you please?

    and dont compare high quality bandwidth from GNAX with Cogent bandwidth from colo4dallas-- they are not the same.

    And no, you are not going to find colo in Jacksonville.

    lookit, we realize that you are a newbie, but multiple posts on the boards will not accomplish what you want. Listening to all the responses, and doing what they suggest, will get you closer to what you desire.

    However, dont go into the Porshe dealership witha a Volkswagen budget and a Yugo trade-in

    When was the last time you looked at Colo4Dallas? They have never had cogent as part of the premium network for as long as I have been there. you need to go to http://www.americanwebhost.com/, a division of C4D, to get the cogent only product.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    The plice is for 1-u to 4u or Tower. All for $249 And no you can't rent a dedicated speedy box for less than $300 per month. So in 10 months my box pays for itself.
    Uhm, yeah if you don't colo your box anywhere, it might pay off. If you do colo the server, the costs are going to be higher than with a dedicated server, if you want anything close to quality.

    You're probably forgetting that apart from the $249/mo colo costs you are also facing the costs of the server itself. From the description of your server it probably costs $3-4k. Spread that out over 10 months (as you suggested), and your total costs are about $600/mo. You can get a good dedicated server on quality bandwidth in atlanta for much less than that.

    It may start paying off in about.. 2 years. But then again, your box won't be worth anything anymore by then, so no matter how you twist or turn it, colo is a more expensive solution.
    Last edited by Apoc; 12-04-2005 at 10:07 PM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Thanks for all the help, it appears they deleted another thread I had started trying to compare Atlanta to Dallas so I guess I will shut up. But someone like GNAX is $579 per month on Dedicated Dual XEON 3.0 so still imo the box pays for itself in a little over 1 year. But I'm a noob.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    Posts
    2,085
    You're jumping to conclusions way too fast. Gnax is mainly doing sales through their resellers (and large colocators). I wonder why that would be

    Additionally, for the $249/mo colocation you are referring to you don't get (quality) Atlanta based colocation. So you're not comparing the right things here.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    You're jumping to conclusions way too fast. Gnax is mainly doing sales through their resellers (and large colocators). I wonder why that would be

    Additionally, for the $249/mo colocation you are referring to you don't get (quality) Atlanta based colocation. So you're not comparing the right things here.
    Tell me if I'm wrong but isn't Level3, Internap quality bandwidth? This is from thier website " Single Server 1-4U & Tower Purchased by megs of bandwidth.

    Single Server colocation. 1U-4U rackmount and tower servers up to 20" tall.

    Bandwidth via Level (3) and Internap BGP. 10Mbps port. Have constant set bandwidth without any overage.

    Internap is good in Atlanta I have a good ping there. I would love to go there but with no one offering a similar package for quality bandwidth it appears that I am comparing apples connection wise.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,641
    Are you in Colo4Dallas now? If not , I think it would be a great place to keep your box. I have been with them since frebruary with one of there dedicated boxes, and I moved my main cluster into my own cabinet in april. Service has been flawless and I havent had any issues what so ever. When ever I have needed the techs, they have been right there and very helpful. I have no experience with any of the Gnax resellers, but I can highly reccomend Colo4Dallas, they are first class all the way.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by ResellersHQ
    Are you in Colo4Dallas now? If not , I think it would be a great place to keep your box. I have been with them since frebruary with one of there dedicated boxes, and I moved my main cluster into my own cabinet in april. Service has been flawless and I havent had any issues what so ever. When ever I have needed the techs, they have been right there and very helpful. I have no experience with any of the Gnax resellers, but I can highly reccomend Colo4Dallas, they are first class all the way.
    Cool! Thanks for the help. No the server now is at CIHOST be affraid be very affraid. I wanted Atlanta because it is closer to me and I ping better there but I am not able to get a price that I can live with.



  34. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    ACman,

    also, what's detail configuration of the dual xeon box you already have ? converting that to 1U may not be as expensive as you thought.....
    It is a SuperMicro Box with Dual 160 gig scsii hot swap in raid. Dual Xeon 3.4ghz 2mb Cache. 2-Segate 300gig Sata Drives. If I had done more reseach I would have built the smaller box but I didn't dig deep enough before I stuck my neck out there.


  35. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    32
    Here is the model of the system 7044H-X8R no add on scsii card. It is 2x160 gig scsii mirrored. So actually 1 drive.

  36. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,114
    Listen to [email protected] he's the man when it comes to servers. I don't know anyone who knows more than him. We love him.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

  37. Quote Originally Posted by ACman
    Here is the model of the system 7044H-X8R no add on scsii card. It is 2x160 gig scsii mirrored. So actually 1 drive.
    well, the server board in 7044H superserver can fit supermicro SC813S-500C 1U chassis just fine, but you must give up the capabilities of (1) redundant power supplies (2) hot-swap SCA because you need to remove SCSI bakplane in order to accommodate both SCSI and SATA drives.

    unless you are willing to accept those, staying with what you already have there perhaps is the right choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •