Verio - From severe hurricane down time to earth quakes and power problems

Greetings:

Just in from NTT/Verio:

=== START

Dear RapidSite Dealer,

This fall proved to be challenging with hurricane Wilma causing power outages across south Florida, which included power to our Boca Raton data center. We realize the business impact this had to customers with hosting in the Florida data center. As a result of the power outage, we have further evaluated our disaster recovery process and one of the actions we are taking to ensure this does not recur is relocating customers currently in the Florida datacenter to Verio’s premier datacenter facility in San Jose, California.

The migration of the shared web hosting accounts will occur over the next six months. You will receive further communication in regards to the migration details as the information becomes available. The migration announcements and FAQ will also be posted in the RapidSite Dealer Kit for your review:
    http://rapidsite.net/kit/

We are committed to taking necessary measures to prevent this type of event from happening in the future. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Kind Regards,
    RapidSite Management

=== END

Hmmm...

From my understanding the Hurricane Wilma incident had to do with improper quality assurance testing of the diesel backup power system, policies, and procedures rather than structural issues.

So, clients are going to be moved from the Boca Raton facility (whose only problem from a pure data center perspective was the power issue -- granted severe) to the San Jose, California facility where one now has to worry about power outages due to brown and black outs as well as earth quakes.

Is it just me or is Verio uses the Hurricane Wilma excuse to consolidate and close down yet another data center?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

That is one hell of a move... I'm feeling for the colo clients that will be down again for a long time.
    bye

Yeah this sounds like a disaster in the making. At least they announced it early enough so that clients will have enough time to switch to a different provider.

"Is it just me or is Verio uses the Hurricane Wilma excuse to consolidate and close down yet another data center?"

That actually sounds about right.
    The thing you have to consider though - is even though they're putting all their eggs into one basket (slowly but surely they appear to be) that it might not actually be a bad thing entirely.

With a central location to concentrate on they can migrate their employees and keep things top-notch.

Having everyone spread around too much would have too many 'possible problems'. I wouldn't see the above migration as a scary thing.

With that said: I had heard verio has provided decent service overall - was I misinformed?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I believe they are only moving shared server clients (If I read right). I believe all dedicated customers are fine.

Anyone from BocaCom around? I'm sure they would know. I would really doubt that Verio will close that data center. I think they are just going to leave it open for dedicated clients.
    NEW Hosting solution coming soon....

Yeah that data center is huge, Verio would not close it. This is just for shared customers.

What facility in San Jose are they going too? Another Verio DC?

May I ask if RapidSite a Verio company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp
    What facility in San Jose are they going too? Another Verio DC?

May I ask if RapidSite a Verio company?
    Yes, there is currently a DC in San Jose.

I am confused. They are moving _TO_ Calif? LOL I thought companies were moving OUT of Calif due to high energy costs, exorbitant real estate and labor costs, and ridiculous laws.

BTW, it is probably the Lundy Ave data center in San Jose.

Greetings David:

Quote Originally Posted by David
    With a central location to concentrate on they can migrate their employees and keep things top-notch.

Hmmm... I didn't know human beings were like computers that could be migrated without a say<grin>.

Seriously, for the 42 years I've been in Pennsylvania (I cannot speak for other states), when I've seen companies pick up and move locations, most employees do not follow. Maybe it will be different that the Floridia people will want to switch out potential hurricanes for earth quakes and power outages ;-)

Thank you.

P.S. Yes, RapidSite is a division of Verio.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicnet
    Maybe it will be different that the Floridia people will want to switch out potential hurricanes for earth quakes and power outages ;-)

Well, two days in a row of downtime is just too much for a *premium* (or at least a big one) provider. Fortunately we had only one server at that location, so not much impact here.

I think the generator issue is being addressed once and for all, and overall the facility is top-notch. I don't really see a real reason for the move to take place, but, well, it's Verio's business... I just would like to know what's behind scenes...

Regards,

If ya'll would just move all your DC's to Washington, you'd never have a problem. Washington is the safest state, lol!

Regards,
    Anthony B.

Greetings:

Verio has a facility in Dulles, VA; they don't have a facility in Washington, DC as far as I know.

The Dulles, VA facility has performed very well over the years.

I just don't understand why because of quality assurance, policy, and procedure failures on their part (the Hurricane Wilma issue involved no structural damage from what I'm told), that they would want to put the servers in a state highly prone to earth quakes; and currently going through power issues.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Mayble they got some kind'a deal in cali

dynamicnet,

Er, I've heard of people following companies around often: Most wouldn't just drop whatever high paying job they have in return for starting over at al alternate company.

//Just my two cents.
    I no longer think they're just leaving FL alltogether - just migrating some users.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hi David:

"I've heard of people following companies around often: Most wouldn't just drop whatever high paying job they have in return for starting over at al alternate company."

I agree with you that some people will follow a company with little concern over where the company relocates.

However, leaving one job does not mean starting over at another job. I can only speak for our geographic location (Eastern PA), but over the years, I see as many vertical climbs upward as I do horizontals.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if Verio finds a way to either keep existing dedicated IP addresses (as they own both facilities) or if users who maintain their own DNS will have fun with new IP's.

That plus deal with the power issues in California, and the threat of earth quakes.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

The dedicated IP issue is something I'd be worried about - that could turn into quite the problem.
    David

From the outside looking in, it seems Verio is having many internal management issues from the removal of all executive positions, to the constant yo-yo effect of their pricing and plans, especially with regards to shared hosting. These changes and problems, combined with the Florida debacle, seems to have forced their Japanese management team to decide cart blanche to move all shared hosting into one datacenter. As far as the reasons for this, I do not know (I'll leave the compsiracy theories to others).

It is always interesting watching Verio over the years. I used to have respect for the company, but these past few years have shown me a company that is slipping in terms of support, reliability, and a leader in business class hosting. Our company competes with Verio for many of the same business clientele, and we've seen a large influx of ex-Verio clients these past 12 months. It also seems they overfill their VPS platforms, as many have complained of very slow sites and FTP speeds on Verio's VPS offerings.

I would definitely ask them what will happen with IP addresses, as this can be a nightmare if sprung on you at the last second. If you have a few months lead time, you can map out all accounts and nameservers, and flag those that will be most affected. Also find out if they are physically moving servers, or copying data from each server onto new servers in the Cali DC.

- John C.

Greetings John:

When we first started in the industry back in November 1996, we started as a reseller of Hiway Technologies who the following month opened up Rapidsite; then, Verio purchased them a year or two later.

Some of our growth was with Verio where at our peak we were sepending over $25,000 per month for their services.

But starting in 2001, Verio customer service started to go down hill.

I still remember a conference call that Jake Winemiller and I were on where we were told outright by two Verio managers that Verio did not care about customer retention what so ever; they were interested in only brand new sales.

NOTE: This was only a few months after a write up of a Verio client spending close to $50,000 per month left due to poor customer service.

Our mouths were on the floor for the remaining conversation.

Since then, they closed the Philadelphia co-location facility on extreme short notice causing hardship for a client we put directly into Verio's hands for that center that was getting DS-3 connectivity from Verio (Philadelphia).

Just a few months ago, we lost a Cobalt RAQ mount customer where Verio closed another facility on short notice.

While we moved almost everything out of Verio's hands (starting in 2001 we moved to a co-location business model), we still have some non H-Sphere, shared Window 200x clinets in their Florida facility.

I will be calling about the IP address issue; but if they were going to consolidate to just one data center, I wish it would have been the Dulles, VA facility over the San Jose, CA facility.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings John:

When we first started in the industry back in November 1996, we started as a reseller of Hiway Technologies who the following month opened up Rapidsite; then, Verio purchased them a year or two later.

Some of our growth was with Verio where at our peak we were sepending over $25,000 per month for their services.

But starting in 2001, Verio customer service started to go down hill.

I still remember a conference call that Jake Winemiller and I were on where we were told outright by two Verio managers that Verio did not care about customer retention what so ever; they were interested in only brand new sales.

NOTE: This was only a few months after a write up of a Verio client spending close to $50,000 per month left due to poor customer service.

Our mouths were on the floor for the remaining conversation.

Since then, they closed the Philadelphia co-location facility on extreme short notice causing hardship for a client we put directly into Verio's hands for that center that was getting DS-3 connectivity from Verio (Philadelphia).

Just a few months ago, we lost a Cobalt RAQ mount customer where Verio closed another facility on short notice.

While we moved almost everything out of Verio's hands (starting in 2001 we moved to a co-location business model), we still have some non H-Sphere, shared Window 200x clinets in their Florida facility.

I will be calling about the IP address issue; but if they were going to consolidate to just one data center, I wish it would have been the Dulles, VA facility over the San Jose, CA facility.

Thank you.

Are you talking about the Sterling, Virginia DC?

I think most of the smaller Verio dc's have been closing. We have servers in Sterling VA, Boca Raton FL, San Jose CA, and London UK. We've had AWESOME luck with Verio in all of those DC's other than the downtime in the Boca Raton FL dc with the generator issue.

I think the issue with Verio is consolidation. I think they expanded too fast and are trying to work their way back to quality core service. I still think Verio's network is hard to beat, so we will be a customer for awhile.

Greetings:

Rackspace.com, inflow.com, and a number of other's have the same or better network as Verio.com.

We've been hit with a number of the consolidations; I wish they would take the time to think about the impact of their decisions prior to making them.

In any event, Dulles, VA is one location we still have some rental equipment along with several shared accounts in Florida.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I had been a loyal, and I mean loyal customer with IServer before they were swallowed by Verio.

I stuck with them during the forced migrations and other growth pains. Last year enough was enough after some amazingly horrible customer service.

With the exception of one employee, I had the real feeling that they could care less about customer retention. It was all about new clients.

As discussed elsewhere at WHT, I finally gave them the boot. Even then their negligent staff made the move as difficult as possible.

I have no doubt the troubles in this thread topic relate to self serving arrogance. And the generator issues? No excuse for that in this day and age, let alone in Florida.

Where are they moving the boxes? To some cheap real estate at their new San Andreas Fault Center?