Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHAT is going on with Pathfinder Hosting?!!

I was originally with Tekadvantage. They were bought out by Pathfinder Hosting in the UK. While I've had some problems in the past with Pathfinder, generally they have been OK and I have stuck with them.

For the past 12 hours I have been unable to receive any emails or log in to my email server. I have emailed numerous times to different email address they show on their site with no response. A few hours I can understand but not 12.

I cannot pay my bill or send a support ticket from inside the client log-in because I can't get in to the client log-in as an error shows up. Numerous pages on their site do not show up when clicked on. I've called their phone number and fax number even tried directory assistance. NO LUCK

I'm in the middle of a few projects and normally receive about 100 or more emails per day. So...now I'm beginning to get pissed and thinking of going elsewhere.

The bottom line is I need to contact Mr. Jonathan Bloor and get him to confirm my emails and let me know WTF is going on. While I know downtime is sometimes uncontrollable, when I see pages on a site not working, the forum never has been in use since the changeover and I don't receive responses to my emails in a timely fashion I start getting nervous and I start losing money.

Does anyone know what is going on with this host? Thanks.

Do they have a phone number? You might try giving them a call, they're probably swamped if they have a major outage but once you get through they should be able to tell you what's up. Or at least some good BS about what's happening
    Red Rock Servers.
    Rock solid hosting at rock bottom prices
    http://redrockservers.net

Phone number doesn't work, Fax number doesn't work and they don't answer their emails. The longer they go without even respond to our emails, the more frustrated I get. Regardless of how major the outage may or may not be, an email or a post on their website AND WORKING PHONE NUMBERS would be appropriate. Not receiving emails is costly and obviously detrimental to business. I know things happen but the accumulation of pages not working, phone numbers not working, emails not responded to....no excuse for it really and I'm ready to make the move.

If they supply you with phone numbers and they don't work then that would be a huge concern, especially been as it's the middle of the working day in the UK. I'd grab any backups you have and look for another provider unless you hear anything from them soon.

I looked at their server statis page which shows one machine as down but the rest up, not sure if this helps or not but it looks like it might not be a problem with all their machines
    AMN WebTech
    We offer a variety of plans at competitive rates.
    Visit us for further details www.amnwebtech.co.uk

Try calling from a landline? What kind of advice is that? I AM CALLING FROM A LANDLINE ALREADY!

Make a backup of your account as soon as possible, try looking for a new web host if you do not hear from them in the next 24 hours.

Give them at least a day to respond, 12 hours is a long time but considering the situation they might already be aware of the issue and trying to fix it. Although that does not explain why their phone numbers do not work.

Sorry, but I think you better start switching your site over now. Unless you are really going about requesting support the wrong way (which it doesn't sound like it's the case from your post), they are having a serious problem. With something as severe as what you described, any legitimate company would have something posted on their site about the problem.

If you want to check to be sure, try sending a sales request from a different e-mail address and see if they respond. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thaiboxinggear
    Try calling from a landline? What kind of advice is that? I AM CALLING FROM A LANDLINE ALREADY!
    heh, got to say I thought the same thing when I read that post
    AMN WebTech

10. Thanks...I'm backing up everything and anything I can right this second.

My site, MY SQL and my admin and CPanel are still all up. It's my email I cannot receive. I used to have Squirrel Mail, Neomail and Horde. I can't log into Squirrel Mail as I get the following error:
    Error connecting to IMAP server: localhost.
    61 : Connection refused

I think they did away with Horde but I never used it. Neo Mail is not receiving any mail.

I am not receiving emails via Outlook or Outlook Express either.

If it was just this I wouldn't be as concerned but with no working phone numbers, no responses to emails and alot of pages not working on the site, it's troublesome. I don't understand why he'd be going out of business as he was publicly advertising for help but hey, ya never know.

BTW - I have tried emailing from two of my email accounts other than my domains and sent emails to 4 different emails of theirs. Who knows what's wrong...

The only thing that I don't really understand is this:

Full Backups

Generate/Download a Full Backup
    Note: You cannot restore these backups, they can only be restored by your administrator.

11. Is a 0871 number a toll-free number inside of the UK which can't be reached from outside of the country???

That probably means its going to do something equivalent to tarring your MySQL database files (meaning it wont generate a .sql file for you) so you need access as the MySQL user (which is generally only left for the root/admin) to restore it later. Most companies will probably work with you on this later or, if all else fails, you can probably install the same MySQL version on your home computer and generate a dump.

Btw, the situation doesn't sound quite as serious if it's only e-mail that's down, although having disconnected phone numbers is definitely scary.

Unless there's a newer configuration, cPanel does store your e-mail within your home directory. If you ftp in, you can problem go to the mail/your-domain.com directory and download the inbox files for any account you want to check. I admin that it's a hack, but it will give you access at least.

Inbox files are plain text, but they will be pretty big. It is just a file with every single e-mail for a particular user. Newer cPanel installs might use something called Maildir which stores each e-mail as a separate file (which would be easier on you).

If the POP3 server is down, though, there's a good chance the SMTP server is as well, but that isn't guaranteed to be a problem.

The 0871 number is a local rate number in the uk. I just tried calling the status line for you and I get an answer although the message is very short I couldn't catch what it said. I think these numbers are for UK use only which will explain your problems. So things might not be as bad as they seem however they probably should've responded to an email by now.
    AMN WebTech

14. Thanks for calling that number. Nevertheless, I may switch companies anyway unless there is a very good reason why my emails haven't been responded too.

15. I just received the following message on another forum:

Scott,

I am having some trouble with the server used for Pathfinder Hosting's main site which is on a seperate box to the client sites. I've ended up having to move it and this is now complete bar upgrading ClientExec, our billing software. Over the weekend I will be announcing details of an acquisition I have made which will allow us to grow significantly, including new staff 24/7. If you PM me I can help you whilst the files ftp up.

Thats good... sounds like they want to make sure you stick with them... I'm sure they'll be able to resolve your POP3 issues now.

17. Yes it sounds promising...however....waiting 15 hours for a response to an email and not having working phone lines is unacceptable. I will wait over the weekend but after that, if I'm not satisfied, it's time to make a move.

Well I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us updated as to the outcome
    AMN WebTech

Quote Originally Posted by thaiboxinggear
    I just received the following message on another forum:

Scott,

I am having some trouble with the server used for Pathfinder Hosting's main site which is on a seperate box to the client sites. I've ended up having to move it and this is now complete bar upgrading ClientExec, our billing software. Over the weekend I will be announcing details of an acquisition I have made which will allow us to grow significantly, including new staff 24/7. If you PM me I can help you whilst the files ftp up.

Well red flagright there, BUT hopefully you can get some one on one help to get through your problem. Heres another instance of finding the facts out a little late. Im not sure what to think about hosts that operate like this, and plenty seem to be doing things like this as you can tell from so many forum complaints.
    It sounds like you were never really contacted about any move, etc. That really is uncalled for! Now you are finding some info out but its an after the fact find! To top it off it was a forum posting somewhere? Sorry, not good at all.
    My advice would get prepared and get
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

That was not clear and taken out of context. The main site was hosted seperately to the client sites however the server had some serious problems with MySQL. We had ClientExec updated to undertake as well as migrating the account from a DirectAdmin based one to a cPanel format.
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

Additionally the telephone and fax providers we used, Blackbox Telecom, ceased the service overnight. The number on our contact page is staffed during office hours (UK) . We did take the time to inform our clients, via email and the client centre, of this change when made. UK law requires companies to offer a real telephone number and address, we wouldn't want to be in breech of that!
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

I'm another upset Pathfinder customer. No notice by email. No way to contact Pathfinder. Site down since at least Friday, no access to email. All remaining shreds of customer satisfaction gone.

Rod,

Have you requested a password reset to the client centre at https://www.pathfinderhost.com/secure/ ? There have been no issues or problems lately. I do notice that your domain is pointing elsewhere.

For the benefit of readers of this thread - we maintain two sites on two servers - our main one at www.pathfinderhost.com and also www.pathfinderstatus.com. We had a problem with MySQL on the main site and had to move it but throughout there was a method to contact us.
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

It seems rodmac's domain has expired or is at least pointing to a Sedo page. We did not register this domain.
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

First of all, my domain expires on 2/4/2007. Secondly, I pointed my domain away from pathfinderhost so I could at least collect mail. Thirdly, I've now pointed my domain back towards pathfinderhost (and its well and truly propagated), and again am unable to access my domain. The only thing that pathfinderhost support has been able to fix is my problem getting into the client center, and to confirm the DNS settings.

Its now 4 days since my site went down. I don't know what the problem is, when it will be fixed, or even whether someone is working on it. Its unacceptable to leave a customer in the dark like this. In the meantime, my email remains in a black hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast