Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scribbytech
    The people who buy the Heroin have a choice, compaired to someone killing another human on purpose 99% of the time the person who dies does not have the choice, Ive never heard of anyone who has killed someone asking the person they kill if they would like to be killed or not?

That does not matter at all! It doesn't matter if the people buying it have a choice, they are still selling drugs which is ILLEGAL. You may not agree with the way he was executed but if you do a crime like this then you have to know that when you get caught you are going to be tried under there laws and he obviously knew that.
      0 Not allowed!

I still rember the day Ronald Ryan was executed in Australia. I remeber it vididly and that was nearly 40 years ago. I was against capital punishment then and I am still against it.

No body has the right to take another persons life .. period.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    What if the drugs he had taken in had led to the deaths of 5 people? Then would you of supported the death penalty? (Not aimed at anyone in particular).
    They still have the choice not to take the heroin, its like smoking, it will one day lead to an early death, but do they hang the people who make & distribute cigarettes no?

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    That does not matter at all! It doesn't matter if the people buying it have a choice, they are still selling drugs which is ILLEGAL. You may not agree with the way he was executed but if you do a crime like this then you have to know that when you get caught you are going to be tried under there laws and he obviously knew that.
    The way he was executed I did not even comment on, its the fact that he was not given any mercy and did not really deserve death. & what ive allready posted::

He would of known the law, but he had to break it to gain some cash to pay off the debts of his brother, this was wrong but he did not deserve to die.

Im not saying that selling drugs should be legal or anything of the sort, but it does not deserve the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by oodie
    Having lived here for years, I appreciate the fact that I can go out at night alone without worrying about drug addict and criminals on the street. I feel that especially after each overseas trip.
    Australia (where I live) does not have the death penalty for drug traffiking, but I still feel safe going out at night and not worrying about drug addict's & criminals on the street.

But then again there may be some countrys where you do have to worry about drug addict's and criminals, but im just saying not having the death penalty for drug traffiking does not instantly make the country a haven for criminals and drug addict's.

I feel that your just going to keep objecting to what im saying so I will leave it at that.

I basicly agree with everything Yash-JH said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    Every person knows a crime is punishable. But sometimes circumstances or how the person was brought up as a child makes him view crime lightly.

Surely if a person commits a crime, he should be punished. But a chance should be given to him to put himself straight. The death penalty should be reserved for hardcore criminals who do not show sympathy for taking innocent lives. But this is a young adult who was probably misguided. Singapore, by giving him the death penalty is saying they do not care if he can reform himself to be a good person, and rather want to set him as an example so others do not commit this crime. Setting an example of a person doesn't deliver justice to the person who is going to be the example. That isn't how a justice system is suppose to work in a liberal country. It's suppose to look at ways to correct, not extinguish life.

Im not against the death penalty, but it must be reserved for those who truly do not deserve life. Is singapore saying this guy doesn't deserve life?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by scribbytech
    The way he was executed I did not even comment on, its the fact that he was not given any mercy and did not really deserve death. & what ive allready posted::

He would of known the law, but he had to break it to gain some cash to pay off the debts of his brother, this was wrong but he did not deserve to die.

Im not saying that selling drugs should be legal or anything of the sort, but it does not deserve the death penalty.
    It doesn't matter if his brother had a debt...he still tried to traffic drugs into that country, he knew the law, and he broke it so he has to live with outcome of it. He knowingly trafficked drugs. These kill, people kill when they are on drugs, I have 0 sympathy for drug dealers/traffickers. (sp?)
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    What if the drugs he had taken in had led to the deaths of 5 people? Then would you of supported the death penalty? (Not aimed at anyone in particular).
    No I wouldn't. Because he never had any intention or motive of killing. To be guilty of murder, it must be an act the person committed intentionally.

Surely consuming drugs can lead to death due to overconsumption, but please the person consuming the drugs is 200 times more guilty for using a banned subtance than any drug trafficker.

A drug trafficker does what he does for money. It's a crime, its illegal and the trafficker deserves to be punished. Someone as young as him could certainly get back on the right track after maybe a 10 or 15 year sentence. But Singapore decided that his life was the only adequate punishment.

Human trafficking is a bigger problem IMHO than Drug trafficking. The conditions these people can be transported in, against their will are appaling. None of these countries gives the death sentence for human trafficking (indonesia has been a source of some of the recent cases). At least with drug trafficking, no one is being forced to do anything and the entire system is a money-making one, where the end-consumer is a willing user of banned subtances. Human trafficking involves inflicting untold misery on the people that that are part of a human trafficking racket.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
      0 Not allowed!

And anyone who thinks the crime fit the punishment please put yourself in his boots, would you think in all honesty you deserved to die because you had 15g of heroin which you were trafficking to pay off your brothers debits.
    It was more than 15 grams. He had packs taped to his body and more in his backpack. It wasn't an accident and he can't claim that it wasn't his.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by virginia
    It was more than 15 grams. He had packs taped to his body and more in his backpack. It wasn't an accident and he can't claim that it wasn't his.
    The amount was allready stated before, I was just reading the first few posts which said 15g so I wrote that.

It wasn't an accident and he can't claim that it wasn't his.
    He didnt?

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    No I wouldn't. Because he never had any intention or motive of killing. To be guilty of murder, it must be an act the person committed intentionally.

Surely consuming drugs can lead to death due to overconsumption, but please the person consuming the drugs is 200 times more guilty for using a banned subtance than any drug trafficker.

A drug trafficker does what he does for money. It's a crime, its illegal and the trafficker deserves to be punished. Someone as young as him could certainly get back on the right track after maybe a 10 or 15 year sentence. But Singapore decided that his life was the only adequate punishment.

Human trafficking is a bigger problem IMHO than Drug trafficking. The conditions these people can be transported in, against their will are appaling. None of these countries gives the death sentence for human trafficking (indonesia has been a source of some of the recent cases). At least with drug trafficking, no one is being forced to do anything and the entire system is a money-making one, where the end-consumer is a willing user of banned subtances. Human trafficking involves inflicting untold misery on the people that that are part of a human trafficking racket.
    Totaly agree there.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17431097-2,00.html

Whilst I appreciate different country's laws, I found them very cold in that they wouldn't allow the Mother to hug her son before his death. They did allow them to touch hands through a small grill though. RIP Van
    He was a drug trafficker - he deserves a harsh punishment.
    I do think the law is too harsh in that country, but in this world - people suffer the consequences of their actions.
    He should have respected the laws of that country.
    I have 0 respect for anyone who breaks the law to such an extent.
    I think the situation does set alarm bells ringing as to the justification of the punishment, in the same way that Texan law sets my alarm bells ringing.

Most importantly, I find it worrying that Singapore is a member of the UN (21 Sep. 1965). The UN holds very little respect for me if they harbour and support these actions.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
      0 Not allowed!

Someone please enlighten me but I have heard that in Singapore when you buy chewing gum they ask to take a DNA sample of you so that if they find gum in a public place they will try and track down who was responsible for throwing that gum. I hear that throwing gum on the ground warrants a $1000+ fine. Is this true?

Killing someone is not the answer, this guy could of done so much in return. There was a poll in Australia and apparently 50% of Australians supported the hanging. I find that disgusting. I guess people would have more sympathy if a cute puppy dog was going to be hanged then a fellow human being with emotions.
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!
      0 Not allowed!

Alex Fernandez,

with 400 grams pure stuff, 26000 more ppl will suffer. prior landing in Singapore, there will be some announcement regarding death penalty to bring drugs into Singapore. That's the risk that you have to take for fast bucks.

your country isnt perfect either. invading other sovereign countries.
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by universal2001
    Someone please enlighten me but I have heard that in Singapore when you buy chewing gum they ask to take a DNA sample of you so that if they find gum in a public place they will try and track down who was responsible for throwing that gum. I hear that throwing gum on the ground warrants a $1000+ fine. Is this true?
    Fine maybe. But the DNA thing is fictitious.

We're not a communist country(i think..but the way politics are here...... ) here! Although we do have some tight rules to preserve our racial tolerance ( multi-racial society here )
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
      0 Not allowed!

Its simple,

Dont go to a place if you dont like the laws of there , and if you go there and break the law you deserve to be punished according to the laws of that country.

If it was someone from 3rd world country like somewhere in Africa hanged due to this , you wouldnt have heard anything about it . And now that its someone from Australia it hurts ? Right .

They hanged one person so as to stop other people from Drug trafficing and possibly saved people who could used the drugs . Isnt that better than killing 1000s of people to just catch 1 or 2 terrorist ? The life of those 1000 people doesnt hurt anyone ?
      0 Not allowed!

the crime is a deterrent. its to send a message to other people that if you attempt to traffic drugs through our country, or attempt to sell them to our citizens, you'll suffer very serious consequences. Whether you agree with it or not, that is the law of that country, and you have a choice - you can go to that country and not break any of their laws, and you might well enjoy yourself. you can go to teh country and break teh law, and if you get caught then you'll suffer the consequences under said countrys' law
      0 Not allowed!

Rest in peace.

It was all over the news today.
    That Play Site
    Visual.Print.Identity
    www.supremetalk.com >>Spread the Buzz
      0 Not allowed!

and yes i agree with most of you.

the law is really tight in Singapore.

and gum chewing is now allowed, only those medicated ones ( stop smoking gums) ROFL
    That Play Site
    Visual.Print.Identity
    www.supremetalk.com >>Spread the Buzz
      0 Not allowed!

You committ a crime, expect a punishement...

Being from Austrilia does not make a difference...

Sad how people can get so symbothic for a criminal...

I believe that drug dealers should be executed...

A man who commits murder only kills one person, those who drug deal not only "kill" one but hundreads..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by azizny
    You committ a crime, expect a punishement...

Being from Austrilia does not make a difference...

Sad how people can get so symbothic for a criminal...

I believe that drug dealers should be executed...

A man who commits murder only kills one person, those who drug deal not only "kill" one but hundreads..

Peace,
    For once I agree with you azizny, I have no sympathy for drug dealers... I think we should do the same thing in Canada.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by oodie
    One thing that I disagree here is that they never let his mother hug him before the execution. But again, there may be reasons behind it that I don't know yet.
    Could you imagine how heart-wrenching it would have been for the mother to have had to let go of NVT had she been allowed to hug her little drug trafficker?

Can you imagine how heart-wrenching it is for the mothers and fathers of children all around the world who don't get a chance to hold hands with their offspring before the drugs kill them, let alone hug them. Drugs which, especially in Australia, are generally brought in through Asia.

Best she be forced to keep her distance, for all involved.

Singapore is a very beautiful country. Alot of the world's most beautiful destinations have strict laws in place. So it works. The rest of the world could learn alot from countries whose harsher penalities actually serve as a deterrent to crime. Meanwhile, I'll keep visiting these beautiful countries, and respecting their own laws.
      0 Not allowed!

When in Rome....

I don't support the death penalty personally... but if you can't live by the rules a society puts in place for its people, then you shouldn't be going there in the first place... Singapore's in a peculiar situation... they're a hub for heroin and drug trafficking due to their location in Asia. Not every country is like yours, so that's all I have to say about it.
      0 Not allowed!

Amount doesnt matter if it was 15g, 100g, 500g its still the death penalty for anything above 15g

And stop the whole guilt trip about drugs killing people. Using drugs is a choice - noone forces you to buy heroin

Oh, and dont bring Iraq into this - the people here didnt support the war, there was a protest of near a million people in London. I didnt see a million people in Singapore protesting against death penalty.

One reason I dont travel to 3rd rate countries, USA, Europe & Aus is everywhere I ever wanna go - not to countries with stupid governments / laws / people / customs etc
    Last edited by Alex Fernandez; 12-02-2005 at 06:40 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

It's interesting that governments today are killing people for transporting a product that will one day be legalised, and controlled by these same governments. They're loosing massive amounts of taxation, by not getting a slice of this industry - be it from a consumer tax and from the revenue earned from the manufacturing and distribution of this product.

The Aussie government makes billions of dollars a year in cigarette taxation, and they would make that amount again in the form of taxation on "illegal" drug manufacturing and distribution.

Yes, as much as I despise the use of these "illegal" drugs (heroin, cocaine etc), they're going to have to eventually legalise and regulate its distribution and usage, if they want to control the industry. Keeping the industry underground makes it impossible to control.

Regarding the 50% of Aussies who support the death penalty in this case - ok I'll say it (not that I agree) - he's a man and he's not an "Aussie". He's Asian. If he was a blonde haired blue eyed good looking female Aussie (aka Shappell Corby), the outroar from the Aussie public (and media) would have been enormous, and the Aussie government would have been under huge pressure to intervene and stop the execution.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

how to make friends and influence people

define 1st/2nd/3rd rate countries please
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Fernandez
    . . . One reason I dont travel to 3rd rate countries, USA, Europe & Aus is everywhere I ever wanna go - not to countries with stupid governments / laws / people / customs etc
    You might want to clarify that comment. I'm not sure what you mean.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by effusionx1
    He was a drug trafficker - he deserves a harsh punishment.
    I do think the law is too harsh in that country, but in this world - people suffer the consequences of their actions.
    He should have respected the laws of that country.
    I have 0 respect for anyone who breaks the law to such an extent.
    I think the situation does set alarm bells ringing as to the justification of the punishment, in the same way that Texan law sets my alarm bells ringing.

Most importantly, I find it worrying that Singapore is a member of the UN (21 Sep. 1965). The UN holds very little respect for me if they harbour and support these actions.

Jord
    I absolutly agree. If hes going to break the law, especially with such a big drug, hes going to face the consequences. He deserved most of it, the death penalty was not a bad thing, but hanging was. In the US they inject you or electricute you, and you have to commit a serius crime. Most people who are trying to back him up probably dont see the wrong things about drugs. I dont mean see it on tv, I mean actually see someone use it, or sell it.
      0 Not allowed!

Well if you're a drug trafficker I know one place you won't be likely to peddle your wares Singapore!
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast