* Hostdepartment Web Design Review

Recently I needed some web design for one of my older web sites, so I decided to go with Hostdepartment, since that's the company that was hosting my web site at the time. I have had mixed experiences with their web design team, sometimes good and sometimes bad, but never great or horrible.

It started out bad...

First, I simply ordered the web design by writting about a two page word document (normal sized font ) and submitted it to them...and waited...and waited...and waited...and eventually got an email saying that they "Lost my record" and that they would begin the web design (about 2 weeks later (it wasn't that high of a priority for my website)). So, they said they would finish in about two business days, but it ended up lasting about a week, due to misinterpretations of my very clear word document...but eventually got done.

By the way, I had ordered a new forum design, some image modifications, and a roll-down menu.

I was satisfied with the results, and went along other things of my website (editing pages and what not), but eventually needed to edit some of the roll-down menu links, so I editted the files very carefully until I was 100% sure that it would work, and then reuploaded the files. Alls well that ends well? Nope...the javascript menu just seemed to dissapear with the slightest modifications to the javascript file...

Later, when I needed to edit the overall_header.tpl file of my phpBB forum, I just editted what I needed to edit, and BOOM the forum design for all of the forum pages dissapears...

I had to contact them to fix the problems both times...but they eventually fixed the problems and it was working nicely again.

Eventually I got fed up the dissapearing (it happened multiple times), and contacted them about it, and they basically responded with "Don't edit the files if you don't know what will happen"...

So, there are two possiblilities of what's going on:
    1. I'm really extreamly bad at editing files
    2. They made it so any modification causes the script to not work at all, thus forcing you to pay more to have them fix it. (they were telling me that fixes like this would cost money, but eventually did it for free )

So problems arised, they got fixed, then more problems, then more fixing...and so on, until everthing worked fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    So, after all those experiences, I would rate them:

7 out of 10 "Fair"

Advise: Don't get your web design done by them if you need it done quickly and need to edit the files yourself...

I hope you have enjoyed this review, because it was "fun" writing it...
    AoA Technologies
    Providing Quality Web Hosting Plans and Quality Support without costing you an Arm and a Leg, AoA Technologies is the right choice for your Hosting Needs!

Without seeing the files in question, it is difficult to say one way or another that they sabotaged things or not. But if you're proficient with JavaScript and menu systems, everything is client-side, so you'd be able to see the sabotage. I have to believe they are probably right about making edits properly. If you make a slight modification to a javascript file, and you have one tiny bit of syntax wrong, one quote missing, one character out of place, you can cause everything to fail.

In truth, you can't really sabotage client-side scripting. It's either working, or it isn't. I think they probably should have charged you to clean up whatever errors you put into the code. They were very kind to opt not to.

It's possible they didn't engineer using best practices though, and that's another matter - though it's a matter that should have been covered before they ever got the contract.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I'm with the_pm on this one...

pm, could you give some examples of best practices applied to a simple project?

pm, could you give some examples of best practices applied to a simple project?
    Well, one very basic principle which would apply to JavaScript as well as any scripting platform or programming language would be to separate out global functions and variable properly, and "modularize" your code for efficiency and to make it easier to change or expand in the future.

There's one example

If the contracted company did this, it probably would have made it easier to edit, but if there was no expectation for future customer intervention, they certainly wouldn't be obligated to take such care. I don't know...I get the feeling there was a hair too little communication from the very beginning - typical of rushed projects unfortunately. It's just one of those things that happens if you let it.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

You guys are probably right about the small syntax errors that I could have put in by accident, but I actually spent quite a lot of time trying to edit the files to match how they were before I edited (It was just some menu link things, so the proper syntax was there before).
    AoA Technologies
    Providing Quality Web Hosting Plans and Quality Support without costing you an Arm and a Leg, AoA Technologies is the right choice for your Hosting Needs!

Regarding our Web Design and Development Service in AoaTech

Hello guys,

I’m David Williams, a staff of Host Department’s Web Design and Development team.
    Regarding to the AoaTech website work, our team had completed website project as written in the contract that had been agreed by HostDepartment and AoaTech. It had ended on the date it was delivered to you.

As I can see on AoaTech.com, AoaTech have made major changes on the website’s structure, folders and javascript path which caused it to be damaged.
    A website has its own structure and folders that should not be changed in order for it to work properly. He had changed the AoaTech.com structure significantly from what we have developed based on the contract. Therefore, all of the changes and damages on AoAtech.com will not be the responsibility of Host Department Development Team.

Best Regards
    David Williams

<<signatures are to be set up in profiles >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 12-14-2005 at 04:28 PM.