Thread: MySQL Hosting

MySQL Hosting

I'm looking for a MySQL Hosting, because my Webhost only support MySQL 3x, but I need 4.1.1 and access to the MySQL configuration file.

Who knows an MySQL Hosting Provider?

Thank you ..

ateoch,

If you require access to the mysql configuration: I'm afraid you're most likely going to need to seek a dedicated solution (VPS or dedicated server).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

It's not hard to find a host with MySql 4, however finding one that gives you access to your MySql configuration file may be. May I ask why you need access to that file?
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

You should search a provider which supply your needs or go for a dedicated server

Most hosts already provide MySQL 4, but I am not sure what luck will you have with version 4.1.1 (or above) right now. This is still pretty new and hosts are not very keen on updating key software every day or two.

If you can be more specific about your need for the MySQL configuration file we might be of more help. Some features in the configuration file are system-wide while others are per-user so some hosts might do these for you.

Regards,

Sp0k0

I know that Cpanel supports MySQL4 better than Plesk, so you may want to start your search using that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by BaselineAce
    It's not hard to find a host with MySql 4, however finding one that gives you access to your MySql configuration file may be. May I ask why you need access to that file?
    I need to change:

ft_stopword_file
    ft_min_word_len

(Boolean Fulltext Search)

As far as I know these are system-wide settings and they require a MySQL restart (cannot be se tdynamically). This would be a tough one for you. If you need a prticular setting you might want to poke around and ask hosts for that otherwise I doubt that any would be very keen on changing it for you.

To my knowledge most use 3 or 4 for ft_min_word_len so if this souits you you can ask for ft_stopword_file only.

Still YMMV.

Regards,

Sp0k0

Searching brought me here.
    Are there hosts that provide database hosting alone ? Speed may be an issue but having an online MySQL account would be good for creating desktop apps that use remote database - instead of standard web-based apps.

Quote Originally Posted by sp0k0
    Most hosts already provide MySQL 4, but I am not sure what luck will you have with version 4.1.1 (or above) right now. This is still pretty new and hosts are not very keen on updating key software every day or two.

Sp0k0
    Actually we have been using 4.1.3 for a while now as it is deemed stable by cpanel & mysql and have encountered no problems whatsoever with it.

I see no other reason except idleness or paranoia why hosts refuse to upgrade, though thats just my opinion.

We are using MySQL 4.1.3 with Hsphere.... It has been very stable and working great. If you need SQL config access look at VPS.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

why dont you just use web hosting? they also have mysql hosting. am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by $_patch
    why dont you just use web hosting? they also have mysql hosting. am i right?
    There may be occasions where a desktop app (now even mobile apps) might be used instead of a web interface but still needs to access a remote database for centralized storage.

Sounds like getting a dedicated server or a VPS is the way to go.

A good host would NEVER let their customers access the mysql configs, or any other configs.
    Its a risk for all the other customers.

Just get a vps or a dedicated server, then you can change whatever you want

I don't know what your budget is, but this place used to be great for devs needed MySQL, http://www.freesql.org/
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.