Thread: Trading Links?

Trading Links?

I was wondering from those of you out there who have a web hosting business what your thoughts on trading links is? (I hope this is not considered advertising?, I am not trying to sell anything

I am with a VPS hosting business, but we thought it might be good to exchange links with other hosting companies that offer the cheaper plans ($6.95/month type stuff) Since the target market is much different considering VPS is around $20-100/month. Do you think it would be wise for the smaller-plan companies to give their customers who are looking for a server of their own to give them an option of another site (VPS) on an affiliate basis for example? That way the traffic wouldn't just disappear and you could still profit on it?

Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by writespeak; 12-01-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by privateroot
    (I hope this is not considered advertising?, I am not trying to sell anything
    It's OK now that it's had a minor edit.

Do you think it would be wise for the smaller-plan companies to give their customers who are looking for a server of their own to give them an option of another site (VPS) on an affiliate basis for example?
    Affliliate links are more than simple link exchanges, but they might be a fairer way to go for both parties involved.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Theodore Roosevelt

It's a bad idea because exchanging links drives traffic to your site, its likely that you are driving your visitors from your site and are asking them to hit your competitors's website.

IMO, exchanging links are bad for hosting companies, doesn't give a professional look.

xoxo

I would say you should only exchange links if they do not offer a service you offer. For example, if they offered Reseller accounts, and you only offered Shared accounts, thats fine. But then again, I would only exchange if I were the ONLY partner.

In my opinion, to make sales effective for both, the company who you are trying to exchange links with, should not have any other links to the same service, and should not intend to have more links.

When you link with someone who links to another 10 companies that offer shared accounts, your hitting a big web page that just exchanges links. Though you may receive loads of traffic, you may also loose your current customers, or even potentional ones.

I would be happy to exchange links with a company on those premesis I think it might help drive traffice and allow for specialized company targets.
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

if you are looking to exchange links, don't do it with other hosting sites...do it with sites that are relevant to what you do on your site, like giving information regarding web hosting etc, but not offering services. this way, visitors can find additional information off your exchange links, but still will have to remain on your site to purchase any services.
    http://www.ImBae.net - Million Dollar Site For Online Entrepreneurs
    http://www.iGoLink.com - Buy Your Link and Advertise Today