Domain Name Registration Date

I registered .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, and .us for my domain name this year (2005). Now, I'm curious as to how this would affect my company's credibility when we open for business. If I pay for the .com atleast to be registered until 2009, would that make it better? Thanks.

I don't believe it will matter. There are many companies out there who only do 1 year at a time. This won't reflect on you unless you forget to renew at the end of your term and your site goes down.

Thanks. What about the first part of my question? Does having it registered in '05 make a difference?

I would have to say no. Obviously this could depend on what you're doing. For instance, I might be reluctant to let a brand new company handle my stocks for me, but for regular sales, such as tangible items, I wouldn't care too much. Also keep in mind what kind of audience you are looking for. Most people don't know what a domain is, much less a WHOIS record. I think a majority of your customers wouldn't know if you were in business for 30 years or 30 days.

If you're looking to drive a huge web presence, such as through Google, and get your PR up, now the year matters (a little). Longer existing sites get bonus points for PR I think.

Thanks dude. That helped. I definitely need to go back and re-evaluate my market. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bazutti
    If you're looking to drive a huge web presence, such as through Google, and get your PR up, now the year matters (a little). Longer existing sites get bonus points for PR I think.
    I heard about that, how true is it?
    Domain Maven

Quote Originally Posted by dmaven
    I heard about that, how true is it?
    I don't know how true it is, but GD published in their July 2005 newsletter the following statement:

Google recently filed United States Patent Application 20050071741. As part of that application, Google made apparent its efforts to wipe out search engine spam, stating:

"Valuable (legitimate) domains are often paid for several years in advance, while doorway (illegitimate) domains rarely are used for more than a year. Therefore, the date when a domain expires in the future can be used as a factor in predicting the legitimacy of a domain and, thus, the documents associated therewith."

Domains registered for longer periods give the indication, true or not, that their owner is legitimate. Google uses a domain's length of registration when indexing and ranking a Web site for inclusion in their organic search results.

So to prove to everyone that your site is the real deal, register for more than one year and increase your chances of boosting your search ranking on Google.
    Full newsletter could be found here: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/whatsn...05.html?se=%2B

I think, like anything else 'googlish', this is never to be known for sure...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).