Help with Hosting packages for large site?

I'm working with a website that is getting about 900 people a day for traffic and we're using about 20GB/month of bandwidth. We're currently using a shared hosting package.

My question is, at this point, do you think it's better to move on to VPS or dedicated solutions?

Our website is running pretty slow at times. From a hosting perspective, what is more important for website speed: RAM, bandwidth, both, or something else?

What kind of traffic would make you stop using a shared hosting plan?

Thanks for your time guys,
    R

Both VPS and dedicated server are good choice but if I'm you i will go for a dedicated server.

RAM and CPU load high will usually lead to it.

What kind of site is it (static or dynamic, php or html, etc.) and do you use any scripts such as forums, image galleries, etc?

Do you have a control panel at all? I know that cPanel allows users to review the current cpu load and ram usage on the server and perhaps other control panels have the same feature. Chances are if your web host hasn't kicked you off the server yet, then your site isn't a big resource hog. Then again, your web host may not simply care too much about his clients and let everyone use as much ram and cpu power as they like. However, the problem probably lays in the servers connection to the internet.
    ~ Nick

Quote Originally Posted by hoopz
    I'm working with a website that is getting about 900 people a day for traffic and we're using about 20GB/month of bandwidth. We're currently using a shared hosting package.

My question is, at this point, do you think it's better to move on to VPS or dedicated solutions?

Our website is running pretty slow at times. From a hosting perspective, what is more important for website speed: RAM, bandwidth, both, or something else?
    If you are only shifting 20Gb/month, and don't expect that to increase much, I think a dedicated server would be over-kill unless your application is very CPU, RAM or disc intensive - so I'd save a bit of cash and go for a VPS for now.

It could be that the slowness of your site at times is due to the shared server you are on being very crowded/busy - you might want to look at other shared hosts (though avoid the "too good to be true" offers as you will just be dropping yourself back into a crowded server).

As a sweeping generalism, more memory gives more benefit to a web/database server than a faster CPU - but this depends very much on your application(s).

Thanks for all the great responses.

The website is running a PHP/JavaScript/MySQL e-commerce interface. You can check the website out at ride-this.com. The purpose of the website is to sell and because it's running slow, we're worried that we may be losing customers.

The code seems quite heavy, but at this point I can't be certain if it's the code or the fact that we're on a shared server.

We plan to increase our traffic over the next year, so I guess at this point a dedicated server may be overkill as mentioned.

My main concern at this point is ensuring that the website runs smoothly for everyone who surfs, and with our planned expansion and increase of traffic, I want to feel confident that the host will hold up for us. The last thing I want is to have to move twice.

I'm not so familiar with hosting so I appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks again,
    R

Under the right conditions a dedicated server is never overkill. Sure you may be hosting almost nothing on it but if the site makes a substantial amount of money. The peace of mind and control a dedicated server offers you is invaluable. A shared environment presents many risks to an operation focused on selling as you are at the mercy of the other users of the system. However, if you know nothing of server administration and are not prepared to pay for a skilled system administrator. A dedicated server can be detrimental to your business.

That's a good point, I know very little about server administration, and my understanding is that dedicated server plans would require me to manage the server. You're also right about peace of mind, but I think it's a question of VPS or Shared at this point.

How would I be able to ensure that a shared or VPS host is going to be reliable, what questions should I ask?

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

R

You mau just want to try a new host...a VPS or dedicated server would probably not be necessary at this point.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

very likely it is your bandwidth as well. try another host. What is your budget. I would not go with a dedicated server with a slow hosting company as opposed to go with a shared server with a well known company..... many times it could be the SQL backend server is slow and that would affect the queries submitted by your surfers.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet