Firefox 1.5 and Infinite Menus Problem

I use Opencubes Infinite Menus and Web Effects on my sites.
    malenski.com and southbuffalorugby.com

I just downloaded Firefox 1.5 and I'm noticing some rendering issues with Infinite Menus.

I'm pretty happy with the code from Infinite Menus its been pretty compatible with Firefox pre 1.5, IE and Opera.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Is it a firefox 1.5 not handling code correctly or is it invalid code from Infinite Menus?

According to Opencube their code is valid even though it doesn't pass any validating engine, they've told me this is due to problems in the validating engines not their code. I thought that was kind of funny.
    Malenski.com - "In Valid Code We Trust"

What're you seeing? I'm using FF1.0.7, and your menus appear fine to me...
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

Here's what I needed in a menu system. Something that worked and something that used plain html lists. First I bought P7's PopMenuMagic. If you like coding and tweaking css then this is the menu for you. I thought is stunk, and even thought it has some very good points I still think it stinks. Their support personel also have very arrogant (we did you a favor) attitudes. So I bought the unlimited license for (at the time) Infinite Menus. Then the nightmare really began. It wasn't so much as problems arising as lack of features. But (after about 4 months) they updated and some things got better and I am reasonably satisfied. Not really satisified but for 400 bucks for an unlimited license what do you want?

I've been using Infinite menus since it first came out. Make sure you are using the most recent code, I think it's 5.2.1. OpenCube seems like a company that thinks that since it looks right on paper then everybody else is wrong. But they are the only menu out there that is based on nested lists, css and (as pathetic as it is) has a visual design interface. As far as compatibility goes, ProjectSeven seems to have OpenCube beat. I've had alot of issues with FireFox and all Mozilla browsers. I was looking for something fast, easy and did what I needed it to do (long story). ProjectSeven is a real pain to set up and customize so... sigh... my menu of choice at the moment is Infinite Menus. If they would get off their behinds and bring it up to the standards of NavStudio then we may have a winner. I could go on and on but probably shouldn't so that's all I have for now. Whew (and that isn't even the tip of the iceberg, hehe).

Wade through my portfolio and see if you can tell what menu is what.

Quote Originally Posted by malenski
    I use Opencubes Infinite Menus and Web Effects on my sites.
    malenski.com and southbuffalorugby.com

I just downloaded Firefox 1.5 and I'm noticing some rendering issues with Infinite Menus.

I'm pretty happy with the code from Infinite Menus its been pretty compatible with Firefox pre 1.5, IE and Opera.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Is it a firefox 1.5 not handling code correctly or is it invalid code from Infinite Menus?

According to Opencube their code is valid even though it doesn't pass any validating engine, they've told me this is due to problems in the validating engines not their code. I thought that was kind of funny.
    Custom Website Design, Website Maintenance, WHMCS/AWBS themes.
    Custom Web Design
    Website Maintenance - Website Management - Website Updates
    Contact US

When I was checking out DHTML Menus there was also something about OpenCube that I didn't like. Two others I found to be very good, in Validation and usability wise,

http://www.milonic.com/ -and- http://software.xfx.net/

Eventually though, I decided to wait to and focus on drop-down Menus using just CSS. Maybe not as fancy but definitely easier to work with and, IMHO, more cross-Browser and Accessibility friendly.

BTW, if one puts the JS code into a linked file rather than into the HTML, many errors will disappear. And ePlanetDesign, I guess you are still working on your site as many links, from the drop-down Menu, are invalid. Your HTML BODY tag needs to be correctly positioned as well, to remove a lot of HTML Validation errors.
    • PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    • Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    • ServerAdmin Services also available

When I tried Milonic at the time there where problems with ie 5.0 and my company for some reason insists on using that with some computers. I thought I heard later they had fix that but by that time I had already gone with OpenCube.

I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111 Firefox/1.5.

ePlanetDesign - There are some sites in your portfolio that menus are screwed up with FF 1.5.

I took some screen shots to show the difference. I no longer have FF 1.0.7 so I'm comparing FF 1.5 with IE 6.0

FF 1.5 Gride Zone Screen Shot
    IE 6.0 Gride Zone Screen Shot

Not as big as a difference as displayed on my site

FF 1.5 Malenski Screen Shot
    IE 6.0 Malenski Screen Shot

And here is a screen shot from Open Cube showing how their examples aren't displayed correctly
    FF 1.5 Open Cube Example Screen Shot
    IE 6.0 Open Cube Example Screen Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    When I was checking out DHTML Menus there was also something about OpenCube that I didn't like. Two others I found to be very good, in Validation and usability wise,

http://www.milonic.com/ -and- http://software.xfx.net/

Eventually though, I decided to wait to and focus on drop-down Menus using just CSS. Maybe not as fancy but definitely easier to work with and, IMHO, more cross-Browser and Accessibility friendly.

BTW, if one puts the JS code into a linked file rather than into the HTML, many errors will disappear. And ePlanetDesign, I guess you are still working on your site as many links, from the drop-down Menu, are invalid. Your HTML BODY tag needs to be correctly positioned as well, to remove a lot of HTML Validation errors.

Yes I'm still working on it, I just threw that one up there and it's using an xfx menu and it's an awbs template. I really need to take time out and recode the thing. Just been too busy,

I'm going to have to check and fix some things in FF 1.5. Sheesh, it's always something.
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

I wrote OpenCube support, I suggest that if you own the menu then you write them too. What a mess.
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

This from OpenCube:

"Hi James,

FireFox broke away from the standards by incorrectly inheriting attributes from the parents ‘A’ tag when innerHTML was inserted within. This is a bug on their part which they will eventually fix. In the interim, a patch is fourth coming from OpenCube which we will send you as soon as it is available."

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

Http://www.opencube.com

Even their website is all screwed up under the NavStudio examples. Sheesh...
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

FYI - Here my response from OpenCube on the matter
    Greetings,

FireFox broke away from the standards by incorrectly inheriting attributes from the parents ‘A’ tag when innerHTML was inserted within. This is a bug on their part which they will eventually fix. In the interim, a patch is fourth coming from OpenCube which we will send you as soon as it is available.

Thanks for your patience!

I wrote this to OpenCube:

I truly hope this fix is going to be all within the js file. I have a bunch of these broke menus out there and would hate to have to re-code the styles and links in every single one.
    They wrote back with this:

As FireFox has accidentally broken the JavaScript insertion of innerHTML into an ‘A’ tag, we believe the fix will likely be within the JS file. We have two working methods currently in testing and as soon as the most durable and properly designed one is available, we’ll forward you a copy of the correction.

Thanks again for your patience!
    Of course it's never their fault. I will give them credit for answering support requests quickly.
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

FYI

OpenCube came out with Infinite Menus V6 looks much better now. All I had to do was to replace the js file.
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

I just downloaded and installed Infinite Menus V6. After updating my code I am more then happy to say it has fixed the FF 1.5 compatibility problems.

Its also added some functionality to FF that only existed in IE.

Props go to OpenCube for coming out with an update so quickly.

Which .js file?

Quote Originally Posted by ePlanetDesign
    OpenCube came out with Infinite Menus V6 looks much better now. All I had to do was to replace the js file.
    Which.js file did you replace? I am having the same exact issue but it seems like v6 is structured a bit differently (i.e. imenus_code.js and imenus_data.js instead of just imenus.js).

Thanks.

All you need to do is replace the script where it says Infinite Menus Source Code (Do Not Alter!) and down. At least that's what worked for me.

Hope that helps
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US

In the design pad go to file, export (to single page) and copy that last part and paste it into your imenus.js file.
    Custom Web Design
    Contact US