One Off Payments for Unlimited Hosting

Has anyone had any bad experiences with these onn-off ompanies who charge you a fee and u get unlimited hosting with unlimited traffic for life? I won an auction on ebay and it seems that everyhting is kosher. Just looking for any experiences.
      0 Not allowed!

Use the SEARCH TOOL before you post. You will quickly come to find that anyone offering you UNLIMITED anything is a SCAM.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Right, I would be very interested in hearing about anyone who has gone for offers like the above, and who has been pleased with it in the long run....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting assumption, but I haven't had any proof of that yet
      0 Not allowed!

InnovativeGlobal,

Thousands of others on these forums have.
    Unlimited is most certainly a scam.

The "unlimited" business plan is not sustainable at all without overloading either: Support, hardware or bandwidth or all 3.

Although in some cases as there is normally zero support - there's no support to overload.
    That's not necessarily a good thing though.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Unlimited Bandwidth on Ebay or anywhere is a scam! No such thing as unlimited, if you would search, you will find many users who have had a bad experience with unlimited bandwidth companies.
      0 Not allowed!

it seems that everyhting is kosher.
    If only it would not defy common sense...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by InnovativeGlobal
    Interesting assumption, but I haven't had any proof of that yet
    Any proof? How about common sense? That's typically pretty good proof.

Please show me where you can get a hard drive that offers you unlimited space.

Please show me where you can get bandwidth that offers you unlimited capacity.

Proof? It's in da puddin'.

Sirius
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

Well here is the deal, this company doesn't offer everyone unlimited hosting, they have a regular set of subscribers, and several large gaming servers are operated here. I know everyone tends to be skeptical, but before we assume why isn't anybody interested in who the company is? I have searched high and low for a bad review, and have yet to find one single negative remark. I tend to be a skeptic myself, and went into the deal thinking it would be a paid lesson, but I haven't had one problem, and was wondering if anyone else knew of the company. I'm not an affiliate I dont make any money, just wanted to know
      0 Not allowed!

Well here is the deal, this company doesn't offer everyone unlimited hosting, they have a regular set of subscribers, and several large gaming servers are operated here. I know everyone tends to be skeptical, but before we assume why isn't anybody interested in who the company is? I have searched high and low for a bad review, and have yet to find one single negative remark. I tend to be a skeptic myself, and went into the deal thinking it would be a paid lesson, but I haven't had one problem, and was wondering if anyone else knew of the company. I'm not an affiliate I dont make any money, just wanted to know
    I can't speak for everyone, but I am not interested in knowing who they are, because they are clearly lying to you. Why would you want to do business with a company who is not being honest with you?

Sirius

P.S. anyone elses SHILL-SENSOR going off?
      0 Not allowed!

Sirius,

Mine is just blaring!
    I can't wait for the recommendation we're all about to hear.

Nonetheless it's still fun.
      0 Not allowed!

I think I've been completely misunderstood, I'm not offering a reccomendation, that's not what I posted for. I am an intelligent individual as well. I took what some would consider a calculated gamble, one that if it went awry I knew I could collect the money that was spent. To be quite honest the amount paid was so insignificant it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. The seller had thousands of positive feedback ratings, and stood by their product, so I said hey why not give them a try. The marketing behind it is actually quite brilliant. You advertise a few unlimited accounts on ebay and you get scores of watchers and interested parties in your product. The advertising cost/benefits more than cover the few unlimited accounts that they are hosting. Now I realize that you all are hosting companies. i am too on the side, but that doesn't mean that this is absolutely a scam. That is flawed thinking.
      0 Not allowed!

InnovativeGlobal,

Everything reaches a breaching point.
    Can I go ahead and offer unlimited everything for some time? Yes.

In the end it will destroy any company, no matter who is in charge.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

I think I've been completely misunderstood, I'm not offering a reccomendation, that's not what I posted for. I am an intelligent individual as well. I took what some would consider a calculated gamble, one that if it went awry I knew I could collect the money that was spent. To be quite honest the amount paid was so insignificant it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. The seller had thousands of positive feedback ratings, and stood by their product, so I said hey why not give them a try. The marketing behind it is actually quite brilliant. You advertise a few unlimited accounts on ebay and you get scores of watchers and interested parties in your product. The advertising cost/benefits more than cover the few unlimited accounts that they are hosting. Now I realize that you all are hosting companies. i am too on the side, but that doesn't mean that this is absolutely a scam. That is flawed thinking.
    No, it is absolutely a scam, period, end of debate.

FACT: There is no such thing as an unlimited hard drive, or any type of hard drive that has no limits to storage capacity.

FACT: There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. There is no type of bandwidth available that is without limitations of the amount of traffic it can carry.

Spin this any way you like, you have been scammed and lied to. There is no such thing as a hosting account with unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth.

Period.

Sirius
      0 Not allowed!

If there was something like unlimited you'd be paying thousands of $'s

But mostly are are a scam just to get customers to signup,
      0 Not allowed!

InnovativeGlobal ....

Why isn't Yahoo, Google etc, paying one time fee for life and host with this company? instead of paying millions on all the infrastructure that they require?

If they really have unlimited resources then they can handle any sort of trafic, load, etc...
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

Okay everybody I hear every single one of you. I will make one more completely logical point, then I'll leave people to be angry about the subjectm since angry rude posts have emerged. When you buy a harfware fevice anf they offer you unlimited tech support for say a period of 2-3 years, does that mean you will actually use it? No because they coulfnt afford to staff the people required to back such a claim. The same principle applies they can say that because theoretically it can never be reached By not putting a cap on it, they norm their servers etc. to handle specific accounts, All of the experts here I cant believe no one knows these simple facts. Truth is Sirius wheter you believe I was lied to or not, it works for me. I am not yahoo or google so I dont know if it woulf work for them. You are unqualified to say I have been scammed. I have paid an amount I would generlly pay for half a month of service. Anf I have had uninterrupted seamless service for 7 months now. Case Closed
      0 Not allowed!

In case there are lingering doubts about unlimited hosting being possible, I submit this wonderful Ebay auction as an example of the impossible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-Web-Hosting...QQcmdZViewItem

The account comes with both "unlimited disk space" and "HUGE Hard Drives of 120 GB and 80 GB per each server. (A total of 200 GB of Hard Drive Space on Server!)" Apparently in this example unlimited is a number under 200GB

To the original poster, I don't see how this business model works.

The marketing behind it is actually quite brilliant. You advertise a few unlimited accounts on ebay and you get scores of watchers and interested parties in your product. The advertising cost/benefits more than cover the few unlimited accounts that they are hosting.
    If the host is already offering unlimited everything, why would they expect other customers to sign up and pay for fewer features?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I'm glad it works for you, but there is something you need to have clear.

IF I promised unlimited tech support for a camera i sell, i most be able to provide that 1 time or maybe 1000 times to the same customer. Maybe the statistics say that normally people will request support what time, but what if you get a customer that will really use everything you offered?

I got once an account in EBay just to test, uploaded 30GB of data, the server was 100% full, do you think they are going to be able to offer me more space if the server is full? like all said here is just common sense.

and a company that offers something they can't offer then they are liying that simple.
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com
      0 Not allowed!

InnovativeGlobal, I am not a hosting provider and I am not a 100% skeptic... here's my 2 cents:

1. If the company is widely advertising anything (esp. on their website) as Unlimited X, you are bound to encounter problems.
    2. Selectively providing "unlimited" services may be okay.

The posters are correct that it is absolutely impossible to provide anything unlimited. It is also impossible for you to use "unlimited" anything. When was the last time your web stats graphs showed "infinite" bandwidth usage?

Here's the main problem: if someone is offering unlimited bandwidth, or even a high amount for the price, there will be countless individuals like yourself that sign up. Fact. You are correct that overselling in general is based on average client usage. The problem is that if they are offering too much (I would say something well under unlimited is too much ) bandwidth, space, etc, a few people can easily consume the majority of the resources.

Here are some basic guiding principles of overselling:
    1. If you oversell too much, performance WILL be degraded or a customer WILL be disappointed when their account is suspended because another can't use their high or unlimited amount of their service.
    2. Massive overselling works better when you're attracting customers that are very high end and you are providing a substantial product over your basic package. This means that they are using "unlimited" as a way to get clients but are taking a hit in the hopes that it will be cheaper than competing directly with normal marketing methods. Take the XBox for example: Microsoft can sell it at a discount and lose money because purchases later will make up for it. If the high end plan is oversold, it will be poor service. Imagine if Microsoft's only product was the XBox, they sold it under the costs to manufacture it and they made no additional revenue -- simple economics says they're not going to last.

I have no idea what company you're getting the offer from and I have not ever purchased from an unlimited provider. I've purchased $2 hosting and I've purchased from $8 providers. The fact is, when they oversold their plans, there was always a noticeable impact on the quality. The $2 provider is always going to have a slow server unless they take a major hit to try to get people to upgrdade to a more prominent product.

Try simple economics... look at the website of the provider. Find out what they offer. See if they are subsidizing the unlimited package with something more prominent. Remember that they have to make money somehow, and someone will try to utilize the service to the maximum. On a technicality, they *are* lying to you because they really do not have unlimited resources, but it can be virtually unlimited.

To end the post... my wager: There will be a noticeable lack of quality (be it extra services, cpu, download speeds, etc) if you utilize it beyond their average customer usage.

Good luck either way!
      0 Not allowed!

InnovativeGlobal,

I don't know why, but I sense that you have some financial ties to the company you are trying so hard to defend. It seems you are looking to somehow justify what they offer.

Lets say hypothetically that this company has 5 servers with 50 people on each server. That's 250 customers who made a one time payment for hosting.

Let's say each server costs $200 per month.
    200 x 5 = $1000.00 per month in expenses. On top of that you have the expense of providing support to 250 clients (I will let you figure out the cost of this on your own)

Total fees for the server alone come to $12,000 per year.

Now lets say the one-time payment is $59.95 for life.

250 x $59.95 = $14987.50

That leaves $2987.50 which is not even enough to pay one support tech for a year.

So the first year this hypothetical company would be in negative numbers. How sustainable is that?

If you are so confident about this company, then I will put you to the following challenge:

Upload a 100MB file, and post the link here. Leave the file up for one month, or until your company cancels you (whichever comes first).
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

You are incorrect no financial ties what so ever, not 1 penny. As I said in previous post I thought I'd go out on a limb. The company is a uk based hoster and subsidize w/ hosting game servers and clans. Doom, etc. I agree with the few of you all who have used your noodle and realize that it is possible that it is not a scam and realize they are over selling. The ebay example posted here is not the company i went through. I just want anybody who wants to research this further check out rrhosting.com, no affiliate link. My own company is spiderwirehosting.com . I am not interested in selling their product for them check my original post. For the dissenters you are correct unlimited is a literal impossibility, but without giving me a cap it virtually is unlimited, think about what I said and let it soak in. Without the added comment that quality is lost(I'm sure it is) the fact still remains that I have no limit on what I can post. I'll tell you what I'll switch all of my hosted sites there and post them and then we will see what happens1. I'm up for the experiment. Again for those who think I have some "financial interest" why would I be hosting with other companies as well? My main sites are hosted through Lonex. I'm just glad that there are a few people out there who know who to consider things out of the box. Virtual realities can coexist guys and gals.
      0 Not allowed!

My last comment sums up what I had to say... I hope it makes sense and doesnt seem too biased. You have to understand, though, that "astroturfing" is very common on message boards and there is going to be skepticism toward any post claiming a service is absolutely wonderful when the total post count is 3.

Funny, someone can register an account and flame the crap out of a provider and it is believable but not the other way around. I kind of like it, cynicism is fun
      0 Not allowed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&category=194

Example auction of said host. $8.59 USD for lifetime hosting. I'm not seeing the "thousands" of positive feedback ratings that were promised regarding this hoster, nor am I seeing just a "few" of these deals available. Unless 45 is now consider a few....

@HostRefugee-Vince: I liked how you built out the pricing assuming $60 setup. Want to update for this price?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

To clarify both of the past 2 responses. Cynicism is great,we all are guilty of it at one time or another it's just that I'm being attacked as if i am the hosting provider. Never claimed to be. Second, I never said they were fabulous I just said they worked for me. Just plain jane work. My original post was asking if anyone else had experiences with the concept. I would never "astroturf" i have no need or desire to, I'm doing just fine. For the ebay auction poster. I didnot buy directly from that seller it must have been an affiliate seller I purchased from. i know I'm new to this forum, but I have been around the industry for about 5 years now, my main business is domaining so I'm just spreading my wings a little. I never meant to fan the proverbial fire, but don't treat me like some 15 year old who just discovered this industry I am far too advanced for that. Thanks for the feedback.
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds good... guess you've been around a lot longer than I have (of course in different areas). It's good that you're not 15 as well, seems most of those asking about starting a business are Don't be put off, though... hope you keep posting and I'll look forward to all future flame wars *err*...
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

I just saw the response about google and yahoo.i can't believe that a question like that was proposed. The answer is simple, while i'm not saying they could, the fact remains that they operate under propietary technologies, ones that they don't want anyone to know about. That is the answer to your question. it has nothing to do with the service.
      0 Not allowed!

rrhosting.com/geeklog/staticpages/index.php?page=whterms

UNLIMITED USE POLICY
    High bandwidth usage: RRHosting offers an unlimited use policy by maintaining very large ratios of bandwidth per customer. In rare cases, RRHosting may find a customer to be using server resources to such an extent that he or she may jeopardize server performance and resources for other customers. In such instances, RRHosting reserves the right to impose the High Resource User Policy for the consideration of all customers.

HIGH RESOURCE USER POLICY
    Resources are defined as bandwidth and/or processor utilization.

RRHosting may implement the following policy to its sole discretion:

When a website is found to be monopolising the resources available RRHosting reserves the right to suspend that site immediately. This policy is only implemented in extreme circumstances and is intended to prevent the misuse of our servers. Customers may be offered an option whereby RRHosting continues hosting the website for an additional fee.
    I don't think you work for or with the host. But this idea has been discussed to death on WHT. Do a search as Sirius first suggested. You'll find plenty of upset folks with experience with this "business" model. Back in 1997-1998 a couple of local ISPs tried this same business model, selling unlimited dialup for life for $200 or so. The model worked until new signups dried up, and the companies closed within a year of opening. I just don't see how the same model would work for web hosting.

I don't see that rrhosting.com has an affiliate program.
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

Thanks for your research, maybe it could become more viable in some peoples eyes with a little more information.
      0 Not allowed!

I remember those dial-up unlimited offers. There was a whole 1 company here in the UK that offered it, "unlimited dial-up forever only 50". At the time I was only 11 but I still jumped on the offer

Ran out to PC world & bought myself a 36.6k modem & signed up. Got a years free unlimited net outta it before they disappeared and BT just said the number was useless. No word from them beforehand of course.

TBH though, 50 for a years dial-up is still pretty good here, people still charge 14.99/mo for unlimited dial.
    Xurial.net
      0 Not allowed!

Hosting

I see what you mean, but I'm sure there are more reasons the dial-up company disappeared. They virtually all have
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for your research, maybe it could become more viable in some peoples eyes with a little more information.
    InnovativeGlobal, The issue of unlimited bandwidth has been brought up on WHT by far to many at this point. This is a dead issue, proven time and time again such does not exist and is well beyond overselling even. You can not sell something that doesn't exist right? Well I hope you clearly can see this much by now.
      0 Not allowed!

Moderators? Shouldn't this thread be locked now? Noodle, noodle nooooooodle...

Numaria.com For peace of mind +44 800 075 8187 +1 800 985 8187
    Shared Hosting Reseller VPS Dedicated Servers SSL Domain Names
      0 Not allowed!

Please Lock this Thread

Mods please lock this thread, this is beating a dead horse
      0 Not allowed!

Mods please lock this thread, this is beating a dead horse
    Very true, some people can not understand that unlimited bandwidth/diskspace is just a marketing gimmick.

Companies who offer unlimited have failed time after time. There is plenty of threads at Web Hosting Talk highlighting their demise. Even when it has been proven over and over, some people still will not listen.

Name 1 company who has been in existence longer than 2 years that offers unlimited everything for a one-time payment and maybe......just maybe you will convince me otherwise. Until then, you are correct.. There is no sense in beating a dead horse, especially one that has been proven so many times.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions
      0 Not allowed!

I expect everything will be kossher until you try to use a lot of resources.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net
      0 Not allowed!

Mods please lock this thread
    Your wish is my command.

I'm sure all will be clear for anyone who takes the time to read this thread.
      0 Not allowed!