i have been thinking about getting a dot eu

but i am unsure because i dont live within the eu although i really want one. has anyone had experience in similar situations. i dont know how anal the registrars are about accurate information in the whois.

:euflag:

Quote Originally Posted by makeadot
    but i am unsure because i dont live within the eu although i really want one. has anyone had experience in similar situations. i dont know how anal the registrars are about accurate information in the whois.

Unless you are a public body or own a trademark you are stuck until February 2006 even then you will need a registered company name until the registry opens up for real in April 2006
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by makeadot

It's not the registrars that make the rules, it's the registry (in consultation with the European Union). And if you're thinking about registering a domain with a false address - forget it.

dohh, thanks for the info.

They are doing pre-registrations on December 7th (I think)
    Domain Maven

I posted this information in the .eu thread that has now dropped onto the second page of threads.
    This is basically the information that 123-reg.co.uk/Pipex sent me with regards .eu domains.
    I have a few on pre-order with them (have done for about 3 years now) and they wanted to know at which stage to put my application forwards.
    Unfortunately due to the rules it will be phase 3.

Phase 1 Sunrise - 7th December 2005 to 6th February 2006

Applications can only be submitted which fit the following criteria

Public Bodies as defined by Member States of the EU

. The full name of a public body
    . The acronym by which a public body is commonly known
    . If applicable the territory which is governed by a public body
    . Registered national trademarks and registered (EU) trademarks

Submission fee 50.00 GBP (non refundable) plus 15.00 GBP registration fee for one year.

Phase 2 Sunrise - 7th February 2006 to 6th April 2006

Applications can only be submitted which fit the following criteria

Public Bodies, Registered national or Community trademarks, Other rights protected under national law

. Company names
    . Business identifiers
    . Distinctive titles of protected literary and artistic work
    . Unregistered trademarks
    . Trade names

Submission fee 80.00 GBP (non refundable) plus 15.00 GBP registration fee for one year.

General Availability - 7th April 2006

Post general availability, all registrants must meet one of the following criteria:

. Have a registered office, central administration or principal place of business within the European Community
    . Be an established organization within the European Community
    . Reside within the European Community.

No Submission fee, registration fee 15.00 GBP for one year.

If you require any further information please check out the FAQs contained in the Guide to Pre-Registration page in your 123-reg control panel (link to http://www.123-reg.co.uk/prereg.shtml).

Best wishes

The 123-reg Team
    [email protected]

All prices quoted do not include VAT.

So for the Sunrise periods you need official paperwork.
    Even when the domains become generally available there are still rules and regulations - see above.
    How strictly these are kept to of course will be interesting.