Speed Test from FDCservers and Surpass Hosting

I have two 100MB test files and I was wondering if you guys could help me test out the speed of these two hosts. Please post what kind of connection you have along with the results. Both of there accounts have 100mbit connections so they should burst fairly high. If anyone out there can "wget" from their 100mbit server I would appreciated it. Here are the two links

Surpass Hosting: h*ttp://warcraft.gotdns.com/test100MB.zip

FDCServers: h*ttp://fasttech.be/test100MB.zip

(Note - replace "*" with "t" I don't have link posting privileges yet)

Thanks for your help guys
    -Mark

I attempted these files from our server at the planet and this is the results.

Surpass:average of about 1.3M/s
    FDCServers: average of 500k/s

It looks to me that Surpass Hosting was alot faster. At least at the time of this test.

Yeah I agree with that and it confirms what I have been getting. FDCservers I guess is still being oversold. The FDCservers file should be able to burst to at least 30-40mbps, I think 500kbps from an unmetered 100mbps connections is a little low. I have been testing it for a while now and I haven't been able to get anything higher than 7-8 mbps.

-Mark

Surpass: 1.5MB/s
    FDC: 210KB/s

a 100mbps connection would only be able to transfer files at a max speed of 12.5 MB/s
    ~ Nick

800KBps from surpass hosting on my 10Mbit connection (but then again they are... two hops from my server. Same datacentre.)

400KBps from FDCServers.

[
    quote=neb1211]Surpass: 1.5MB/s
    FDC: 210KB/s

a 100mbps connection would only be able to transfer files at a max speed of 12.5 MB/s[/quote]

Yeah I know 12.5MB/s ~ 100mbps,

so.........

30-40mbps would be ~3.75-5.0MB/s

500KB/s is only 4mbps, a little slow for a 100mbps connection right? I know it is shared, but if all I'm getting is 4mbps max, then I might as well get a cheaper plan (5mbps unmetered). Right? At those speeds it looks like I will only be able to move ~1500GB per month. The TOS and AUP clearly state I would be allowed burst up to 100mbps as long as I stay within a range of 3000-5000 GB per month without being capped at 10mbps. Well, hell I'm already not being able to burst past 5 mbps so what am I paying for? Anyways I am just using this month as a test to see if FDCservers deal was worth it, I still have a few weeks left, so we'll see.

By the way, Thanks guys for helping me test this,

-Mark

O you were talking about bits? I figured you were talking about bytes since it was transfer speed. Sorry for the confusion.
    ~ Nick

Yeah it can get confusing, why doesn’t everyone just pick one or they other and use it for everything and be done with it, lol. I usually try to distinguish between the two like this:

Bytes:

KB
    MB
    GB

bits:

kb
    mb
    gb

I don't know if it is correct, but I do capitals for Bytes and lowercase for bits.

-Mark

From EV1 100 Mbit server

Surpass Hosting: 1.67M/s

FDCServers: 285.75K/s

From Germany (Telia)

Surpass Hosting: 555.38K/s

FDCServers: 195.12K/s

From Germany (DFN)

Surpass Hosting: 135.61K/s

FDCServers: 102.77K/s

Surpass: 1.7mbps
    FDC: About 550kbps

From Chicago 100mbit

Surpass: 1.5mbps
    FDC: 480kbps

From Texas 100mbit (at theplanet)

From Ashburn, VA (EQX IBX)

Surpass --> just under 2048KBytes/s
    FDC --> approx. 150KByte/s

Surpass seems to be much faster than FDC . . .

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by elix
    From Ashburn, VA (EQX IBX)
    Quote Originally Posted by elix

Surpass --> just under 2048KBytes/s
    FDC --> approx. 150KByte/s

Surpass seems to be much faster than FDC . . .

Thanks,

Yeah I agree, too bad I only have 100GB monthly bandwidth though, lol. I could increase it though. Their bandwidth at Surpass is much higher quality I am finding out, but also more expensive than FDC. I just bought the FDC account to help some people out by hosting their large files, but it seems FDC can't handle the load. Any suggestions where I can get about 3500-5000 GB monthly bandwidth for around $100 a month. I would also like it to be able to burst to 30-40mbps at times if I need it. I know that for $100 per month there is not much out there to fill my needs, but all the server will be doing is hosting a few videos (200-400MB range) to take the load off of other sites. I myself will take the files off the server if it looks like I will be exceeding 5000GB. So I don't need to pay for a managed server, just need SSH and I'll be fine.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

-Mark

try Hivelo City (hivelocity.net)

however its bit difficult to get 3 Tb plus in only $100.( I am talking about quality servicec )

FDC servers use cogent as their main carrier, which is a lower quality bandwidth and can have problems peering with ISPs. Surpass tend to use Time warner as their main carrier, and do have multiple providors such as level3.

Simple, if you want quality bandwidth go with Surpass Hosting. If you are prepared to use lower quality bandwidth to cut costs, use FDC.