Sudden CGI scripts failure

We have a large volume site which generates lots of pages dynamically. It uses Perl LWP module for crawling internal contents.

From today, it returns 500 server error saying this:
    500 Can't connect to the domain.name:80(bad hostname ' domain.com')

What do you think has gone wrong ?

The scripts work fine when asked to crawl other external domains. Looks like some internal DNS error. But can a server not find its own domain name from its DNS server ?

I would be grateful for any lead.

Thanks

If you try doing the command "host domain.com" from the command line does it work? It could be something strange with the local DNS

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I don't have shell access to the server. I will write a CGI script to test for this ?

I am almost certain that the server doesn't resolve the domain name. How do I resolve this ?

My domain registrar details show that the normal DNS servers are ok. They appear to be up. Someone might have changed the entries there ?
    May be the sysadmin of the servers ?

Ok. Here is what the command returns: connection timed out; no servers could be reached

What do I do ?

has your domain expired?
    Jim Lundeen
    Edgar Technologies

Professional Small Business IT Management
    http://edgar-tech.com

No. I always book for 5 years. My host has finally sorted this problem in about 48 hours. The trouble is I expected this DNS issue to have a quick fire solution.

Thanks for all replies.