Thread: Bandwidth Meter

Bandwidth Meter

Hello,

I'm looking for some sort of bandwidth meter to watch our dedicated server customers.

I know there are so many out there for individual servers, bandmin, vstats and iftop to name a few, but I'd like to find one that we can put on a server, but we can have it setup to log the bandwidth on a network switch or a Cisco router? As for Cisco, we have two main routers on our network a 3620 and a 2100 series.

I think we might have on part of our network a switch that can monitor incoming and outgoing per port, but it cannot be logged into remotely.

I'm looking for graphs when customers request them, excel sheets for customers, etc., etc. I've seen other companies provide these.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Cline Communications, Corp.
    [email protected]

What kind of switch is it? You can set up MRTG graphing on the switch if it supports SNMP polling.

I like RTG, there's also MRTG, CACTI and quite a few others, all of which will provide graphs and poll the data from the router/switch via SNMP.
    James Lumby

I am not sure at the moment the name of the switch. I know for a fact it offers SNMP. Is that SNMP Polling?

RTG, MRTG, Cacti, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
    Thanks,

[email protected]

Thanks,

[email protected]

Try to setup the snmp community string on the switch.
    After that for mrtg you can do..

./cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /dir/to/output/htmlfiles' \
    --global 'RunAsDaemon: Yes' \
    --global 'Options[_]: bits,growright' \
    --output /etc/mrtg.cfg \
    [email protected]

Then simply..
    ./mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg --logging /var/log/mrtg.log &

You can use indexmaker as well, edit the output configuration files as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ClineCOM
    I am not sure at the moment the name of the switch. I know for a fact it offers SNMP. Is that SNMP Polling?
    RTG, MRTG, Cacti, what would you guys recommend?
    Thanks!
    I like the output from HotSaNIC (http://hotsanic.sourceforge.net/, sample output from a relatively lightly loaded server: http://216.66.18.91/stats) though the install isn't painless (there was a decent install tutorial on WHT a while back) and the project has not been updated for some time. If you run a 2.6.x kernel, I recommend getting the "latest" snapshot verstion (http://hotsanic.sourceforge.net/snapshot/) rather than the slightly older version mentioned in most tutorials.

It isn't using SNMP (it just records what the kernel logs going over the network interface), and has the advantage of makeing pretty graphs of many other data items that could be useful.

That HotSaNIC looks like something to be installed on individual servers, is it not?

I want to monitor our dedicated server customers without installing anything on their servers in specific.
    Thanks,

[email protected]

Try cacti, we have it setup on our switch's (10+) and on a few managed server's.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by ClineCOM
    That HotSaNIC looks like something to be installed on individual servers, is it not?
    I want to monitor our dedicated server customers without installing anything on their servers in specific.
    Ah, sorry, I misread your post there.

Yes, HotSaNIC is a tool for individual machines primarily. I believe it can be used to chart results from other machines (or routers) obtained via SNMP or similar but not without some jiggery-pokery you can probably be doing without!

That is a bad idea ClineCOM.
    If I am not mistaken, traffic such as DDOS that can be filterd at the firewall or any traffic that hits iptables and gets denied on the machine will not be graphed.
    SNMP does not hurt really hurt the switch performance and you are not installing anything on the switch.
    You install it on one machine which sends snmp requests to the switch which tells it how much data is going through each port.
    All you do is configure a simple parameter on the switch (SNMP Community String)

Yes, Kevin, I think I will go with what you gave me. It looks like it will be the best solution.

Thanks!
    Thanks,

[email protected]

Cacti is nice - 365main offer it.

Cline any SNMP graphing program will work, I suggest you look at RTG/MRTG/Cacti/HotSanic demo graphs and decide on which to use.
    Some will be straight forward on setup, while others will be more difficult as usual.
    But sometimes the best solutions are not the easiest. GL

We're going to go with RTG. I'll be spending a little bit of time re-organizing ports, labeling cables, and setting up some configurations on our switch & router. It sounds like it will work perfect!

Thanks for all the comments!
    Thanks,

[email protected]

Etherwan Switch

Anyone have an Etherwan switch? I am looking to enable that SNMP on my Etherwan Xpresso 2224S. Any recommendations on how implement some of these features, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Thanks,

[email protected]

What do most of you hosts use to monitor webhosting clients on your servers individually? I'm curious as to how to set limits, and when those limits are reached, automatically disable that client, in linux of course.

I think a lot of folks will use some user control panels. Such as CPanel, Plesk, Webmin, etc...
    Thanks,

[email protected]

So administrators just mainly use control panels to monitor their customers?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, it gives you the ability to control your customers; this can assure no one individual customer consumes more resources than they are allotted.
    Thanks,

[email protected]

I've found that Serverstats (webmasterpro.de/~ddanier/serverstats/) in combination with rrdtool works wonders.

Another vote for cacti, great software.
    Ryan Dubois
    Director of Sales
    Hostbusters Web Solutions
    www.thehostbusters.com