Suggestions for 100mbps

Hi, I need some suggestions on a 100mbps server. First of all, it will be used for file hosting only, so it's basicly just apache running.

What company do you recommend?
    As of now I plan to go with Hi Velocity, but I'm open other offers. I'm looking to spend a max of $1400/mo, doesn't have to be fully managed but it's a great plus. And it obviously has to be a serious company, fast reboots, hardware replacement and setup.

What specs do you recommend?
    Here's what I had in mind:
    Dual Xeon 3.0 HT
    2GB Ram
    6x300GB IDE HDD, RAID5

I'm not sure about the HD, I know IDE is bad, but SCSI is way too expensive. I need about 800GB of usable disk space, so what's the best way to go?
    Also, I wonder if a Xeon is necessary for what I'll use? Do you think that dual P4 or maybe dual Opteron would hold it? What about the RAM?

[edit]
    What about OS? I'm currently using freeBSD on a 50mbps server, I heard it's the best OS for file hosting. What OS should I go with?
    [/edit]

Thanks in advance

depends what size files your hosting - if its loads of small files a dual cpu may not be needed

Quote Originally Posted by NWSTech
    depends what size files your hosting - if its loads of small files a dual cpu may not be needed
    It's up to 100mb, but the average is 25mb.

OrangeFiber.com i'd recommand you to

fast, stable, and reasonable price (below average market price actually) , I've been with them for almost 3 months now and I'm super happy with them

awesome 24/7 support on instant messengers

definitely should give them a try

Quote Originally Posted by neoenvision
    OrangeFiber.com i'd recommand you to

fast, stable, and reasonable price (below average market price actually) , I've been with them for almost 3 months now and I'm super happy with them

awesome 24/7 support on instant messengers

definitely should give them a try
    I have a low-end server with the, but I don't trust them enough to get a 100mbps.
    What about the specs, any suggestions?

why didn't you trust orangefiber ? They offer you a reasonable price and 24/7 support, every ticket responsed less than 15 mins. I would recommended them.
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

i can't find a single problem with them seriously, amoung 5 companies i used (including famous ServerMatrix), OrangeFiber is the best i've ever got, i would trust them with a 1gbps, lol

If you want a good dependable network (Not Cogent only, and not single homed) then I would suggest raising your price a little bit. FreeBSD is a great choice for the OS, no ands, if or buts about it. It's definately my favorite OS. Also, do you know for sure that you'll need a full 100 Mb/s right away? If not, you may think about getting a lower commit on a better quality bandwidth that is burstable and billed on a 95th percentile rate. As to the specs of the server, a dual opteron would probably be my choice of machine. As to how you could accomplish your 800 GB of usable space, you can get a custom setup utilizing WD's 400 GB SATA's in a RAID 5 setup which should work well for you. We've done this for other customers and they haven't had any complaints on the drives yet, of course, they are somewhat fairly new, therefore they certainly aren't cheap drives. Of course, this is my personal opinion, but I hope it helps a little.
    James Lumby

Quote Originally Posted by lumbyjj
    If you want a good dependable network (Not Cogent only, and not single homed) then I would suggest raising your price a little bit. FreeBSD is a great choice for the OS, no ands, if or buts about it. It's definately my favorite OS. Also, do you know for sure that you'll need a full 100 Mb/s right away? If not, you may think about getting a lower commit on a better quality bandwidth that is burstable and billed on a 95th percentile rate. As to the specs of the server, a dual opteron would probably be my choice of machine. As to how you could accomplish your 800 GB of usable space, you can get a custom setup utilizing WD's 400 GB SATA's in a RAID 5 setup which should work well for you. We've done this for other customers and they haven't had any complaints on the drives yet, of course, they are somewhat fairly new, therefore they certainly aren't cheap drives. Of course, this is my personal opinion, but I hope it helps a little.
    thanks for the tips. I do need 100mbps right away, but for now I'll have to stick with low quality bandwidth.

Dreaz, I sort of put HiVelocity and OrangeFiber in the same category. They are "decent," but their support and networks can be lacking at times. For lower-end stuff, they may be pretty good choices though.

I've had great experiences with InfoRelay/100MbpsServers.com. Contact Rusty500 on this board.

I've gotten some great deals from him lately, and they've got several bandwidth options at prices that rival the Cogent-only networks. I'm not sure if they can meet your price, but they may be able to, or at least come close.

They are also in Equinix, which is definitely a good place to be.

btw, you definatly wont have to raise the price if you want multihomed quality bandwith..

you can get multihomed 100mbits for around 1000-1100 a month...

just dont go with a providers with 1 transit..

for instance, we have multiple carriers, and that doesnt mean our prices are suddenly multiplied by 10
    Quality Metered/Unmetered Servers in the Netherlands
    Offering custom solutions in an extreme quality network!
    Find out why we are a lifetime experience and contact us!

I highly doubt you can get the server you want with the specification you need.

You may be able to get 100mbps unmetered low-end server with the budget you specified, but definitely not dual Xeon with 300+ gb of disk space.

well, yea ok, the dedicated specs might top it up a bit.. but not tons..

i only now noticed he wanted such a heavy machine
    Quality Metered/Unmetered Servers in the Netherlands
    Offering custom solutions in an extreme quality network!
    Find out why we are a lifetime experience and contact us!

http://host-us.net/dedicated.html

I would suggest to try
    http://host-us.net/dedicated.html

they got now decent level3 based unmetered 100mbit servers for around 600$.

try listen this http://83.98.155.60:9000/
    this streaming from there DC.

zero buffers so far I Listen to this second day now.

I may just be a jerk, donkey (Thinking of another term), but why would anyone sell a product for less than they are paying. Level 3 is definately NOT selling 100 Mb/s for $600/Mo, that's less than Cogent has ever sold it, and they are about the cheapest out there. I don't know why anyone would expect to have a reliable dedicated connection for less than the datacenter is paying for it.

World Industries: Are you a part of BestHost or EuroAccess? Do you actually control the network you are on, or are you a reseller/customer of the datacenter?
    James Lumby

Hi,
    thanks for the inputs you all.

I'm aware that at this price I'll get cogent and single-homed only, but that is ok to me, I understand the quality is not the same but that is what I'm willing to spend to get a decent ROI, at least for now.

I went with HiVelocity afterall since I already have a couple of servers with them, but I'll probably need more servers pretty soon and I might consider other companies you all suggested.

Thanks again