How many slots can this server host?

Hello, I wanted to know how many slots would I be able to host on this computer.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT CPU
    800mhz FSB
    1 GB PC3200 DDR Ram
    120 GB HD Serial ATA
    2,000+ GB

If it's like most 1u cases, you have one, maybe two, slots available.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

What kind of slots are you asking about?
    I get the feeling of a gameserver or such, please be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu
    If it's like most 1u cases, you have one, maybe two, slots available.
    You sarcastic person.. Haha, If you talking about game server slots, depending on game around 100-150 game server slots.

I am just going to be hosting Counter Strike 1.6 servers. With sys_ticrate set at 1000.

CS 1.6 doesn't run as well on linux as CS 1.5 did, others say windows still does.
    And their is no purpose in a ticrate above 100, if you want to waste your cpu cycles then go ahead.
    With that said, those specs sould run a basic 1.6 at 1-3% cpu per slot.
    The issue is when plugins are added via metamod additions.
    If you run a lot of plugins you could be asking for 5-6% cpu per slot.

I wouldn't suggest hosting over 60 slots. If you're hosting private clan servers, I would stick with 3-5 servers for the best performance all together. You have to consider ALL servers full at certain times and it could get ugly if you're overselling.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

I agree with the 60 slots, please consider map changes etc as well. Overselling is no good with game servers.

Thank you for your feedback. It helped me out very much. I am running 2 servers on the machine currently, both 20 slots each. They were both full a few minutes ago and I saw a drop in fps on both servers. Is there a way I can fix this, I heard there are programs that can fix this problem. If anyone knows what I can do to make the servers fps stable, please post.

Thank you.

What operating system?

What mods are running?

Total slots of 40 should run easily on that box.

Ticrate?

Nic speed?

Would need some of that info and more to fully help you.

60 slots is highly conservative for that box in my opinion. Yes 60 will run fine but I would be surprised if you couldn't go 100 on that box without problems if its properly tuned. Now if your running some crazy ticrate of 1000 then your just wasting cpu cycles for nothing and you can probably run only a few slots. Any reason why you think you need ticrate 1000?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

It's my first time hosting games. I set the sys_ticrate to 1000 because I did not know what to set. My friends told me that the more server side fps, the better. I don't know another way of maximizing the server fps other then putting in sys_ticrate 1000. If you know any other way, please tell me how. I am running deathmatch on one server, which I know is a memory hog. The other server is just running amx mod and metamod, both of the servers I am hosting are very popular. I really want to fix the fps problem, but I don't know how to improve them without using the sys_ticrate command, without it, it only shows 82 server side fps.

I am using http://www.calhost.com, it's the $125 dollar plan.

Thank you.

Linux/BSD/Windows?

Windows 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by TDK-Kevin
    CS 1.6 doesn't run as well on linux as CS 1.5 did, others say windows still does.
    And their is no purpose in a ticrate above 100, if you want to waste your cpu cycles then go ahead.
    With Source, there is no point as the ticrate is capped at 100, but in CS1.6, the ticrate max is 1000.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

33ticrate is default. 66 ticrate is "league quality" and 100 ticrate is what the best of the best use.

bear that in mind ...

I am having a problem, when I set the ticrate to 100. The server fps stay at 82, I know there are companies that offer 500+ server side fps. That is the question I was asking, if someone has expierence with it. Any information would help me out very much.

Quote Originally Posted by guyellis1988
    33ticrate is default. 66 ticrate is "league quality" and 100 ticrate is what the best of the best use.

bear that in mind ...
    Actually no team out there wants to scrimmage on a 66 tick server, they're choppy. Anything under 100 tick just doesn't feel right.

And for this server...

Let me give you my input since I am used to hosting servers with sys_ticrate 1000 aka 1000fps. On a dual Xeon 2.66ghz with these settings one of these servers with 10 users connected uses around 18-25% TOTAL CPU usage and about 150MB of ram. So good luck running more than 30 slots at 1000 ticrate with that server.
    Last edited by dhAndrew; 11-29-2005 at 11:37 AM.
    Devoted Host
    Quality Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    http://devotedhost.net/
    MegaBlog!

Yeah, I am looking for help. I just want 500+ server fps. I don't know what other command or program that would change the server side fps. The only method I know is setting sys_ticrate at 1000. But when I do, I notice that the servers start lagging, I can only set it on one server without having any problems. If you have experience with using other programs or commands which can maximize the server side fps without using that much computer power.

Quote Originally Posted by guyellis1988

bear that in mind ...
    For source, yes. For 1.6, no.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Just set sys_tickrate to 500 the same way that you set it to 1000. Also make sure you are using a version of linux with a high-resolution timer such as CentOS4 with the 2.6 kernel. If you use a 2.4 kernel you will not be able to get any higher than 100 fps.

For that box on 500 fps I would really recommend no more than 2 12 slot servers.

Also, to maintain a true 500fps I would set the tickrate to 550 and the fps_max to 500

Or, errr, use windows.
    It works better for gaming hosting hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    Or, errr, use windows.
    It works better for gaming hosting hands down.
    Hello, I have said 3 times that I am using Windows 2003.

Sorry to bother everyone. Here is the problem - I am running 2 Counter Strike servers on a CalPop machine. I just wanted to know anyone knew a way of "tweaking" the server. Currently I am running 2 servers on a 3.0ghz machines with 1gig of ram. One of the server has 20 slots, which is always full, and the other server is not so popular. But the deathmatch server gets a packet loss(the popular one). If anyone knows of a way or a configuration, please help me.