New hosting company?

I currently own and operate a hosting company, but i am looking into a new venture for it...
    I got a new colo server and I cant decide 100% what to do with it, should I code my own control panel for it and use it for free hosting, or should i do cpanel/whm hosting with cheap reseller hosting?

What would bring in the most people and money in your experience?
    Tyler Schnaidt
    wnDesigns.net
    1-888-359-4822
    Hosting Design Promotion

I think having your own control panel will only help retain customers rather than bring them in. That is -- if it's written reliably and provides something better than WHM, etc.

But, the reason you pay for those is because they're a bit more reliable and handle quite a bit for you. They're also providing administration tasks that are more geared toward beginners. That being said, I think advertising that you provide CPanel gives you a tiny advantage but I doubt that your control panel will have much an effect on retaining customers in the end, since it only does so much.

The main part that i was looking at is that cpanel cant hold many users, only a few hundred where mine, once finished can hold arround 32,000 people for each letter of the alphabet. Obviously too many to have on one server but it can hold more people that cpanel. And as a free host people dont get all the features of cpanel anyways.
    Tyler Schnaidt
    wnDesigns.net
    1-888-359-4822
    Hosting Design Promotion

Isn't the few hundred users only a recommended limit?

If most of your customers only use a few Mb a month you're probably not going to have problems putting more than a few hundred users on there.

I personally wouldn't regardless as you need account for customers sites becomming more popular thus using more data transfer and adding to server load.

I'm not sure whether I'm correct about CPanel though, there may well be an imposed limit, I don't know as I don't use it.

If you don't like someone of the features of cpanel, what about using another control panel there are lots of good ones out there to use.

Sorry this is off the subject... I know of cpanel, but I have not heard of many other control panel options out there? are there any good ones?

Did a quick search and saw: Plesk, Ensim, Hostopia, Sphera

Not sure about Hostopia or Sphere so they might be proprietary. There are also free ones like this one (although I can't recommend this, it is not widely used!):
    http://www.hostingsoftware.net/

I think someone who posts on WHT also has an open source panel that they make available...

If you have thought of a way to make money with a free hosting solution, I would choose that route. Not only could it be a fun business, but it can also be quite lucrative. Perhaps you could put Google AdSense ads in a frame on top of each web page? Just a thought....

Programming your own cpanel is not a good idea. It will take years to get almost every secure holes fixed. But if your planing to make a simple one then it won't be a problem. I mean for example: FTP manager ( Add users; Edit users, Delete users ), mysql manager ( Add db's, Edit db's Del db's ) and so on.

plesk, helm, hsphere, webmin, hosting controller, direct admin, interworx those are all control panels.

I agree with mycroftx If you are willing to offer FREE HOSTING you should write your own script. Keep in mind security is main concern.
    I personally know there is few people on the forum successfully do biz with in-house hosting script.

Cheers,
    Beruska
    Flash Live & VoD Streaming solutions 4 All.
    RTMP, HTML5, RTSP