Best way to stream videos?

Hi, I was just wondering what the best way to stream videos was (with bandwidth in mind).

I only know of a couple options:

1. Have it open in a player on your browser, like WMP.
    2. Have it as a download like, so they can choose to save to disk or open with program.

Will one way use less bandwidth then the other?

Thanks

I usually convert the video in flash 8 then do the download. Seems to me it cuts the video down in size, but really keeps quality high.

I dont think you can do a true stream unless your on a server that supports that otherwise you are just HTTP streaming (I think)

I would think that both use the same amount, with the wmp using a little more.
    My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com

Quote Originally Posted by saukwebsolutions
    I usually convert the video in flash 8 then do the download. Seems to me it cuts the video down in size, but really keeps quality high.

I dont think you can do a true stream unless your on a server that supports that otherwise you are just HTTP streaming (I think)

I would think that both use the same amount, with the wmp using a little more.
    Alright, thanks.

Anyone else know about the bandwidth usage?

Not sure if this will help but i had a file that i had streaming from my site awhile ago and i used this to help me along as the best way to stream while saving bandwidth.
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/st.../overview.html

yeah I used that as well
    My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com

Quote Originally Posted by IPsecure
    Not sure if this will help but i had a file that i had streaming from my site awhile ago and i used this to help me along as the best way to stream while saving bandwidth.
    http://www.mediacollege.com/video/st.../overview.html
    That was going to be my next question, thanks for the great link .