Question Ability to use SSH and set up a proxy server???

Are there any reseller accounts that would allow someone to use SSH and set up a proxy server??? Just curious since I would like to have a USA based connection to use when I am overseas.

I would be using an ssh forwarding program to send all of my requests through that reseller system as if I was sitting in the usa browsing, etc.

PS - I don't know how to use linux too well....

Quote Originally Posted by talkhostrunner
    Are there any reseller accounts that would allow someone to use SSH and set up a proxy server??? Just curious since I would like to have a USA based connection to use when I am overseas.
    I would be using an ssh forwarding program to send all of my requests through that reseller system as if I was sitting in the usa browsing, etc.
    Most shared/reseller accounts explicily forbid using their services for proxying like this, though if you get a VPS or dedicted server you are likely to be able to do what-ever you want in this regard (assuming your activity doesn't break any other part of the provider's ToS/AUP).

You could do it on any host that give SSH access, but if they find you are doing this and don't like it, you'll be thrown off rather quickly.

You would definately need a vps. If your intentions are honorable and for your own personal use as you described, I am sure no one would have a problem with it.

I would definately ask the administrators before purchasing any account.