* Server Requirement for Webhosting

Hi All,

I want to get into this highly competitive business. I will be using a 3.4GHz Pentium machine with about 4GB RAM and 3TB of Raid 5 storage and tripple redundant load sharing power supplies. I will have an unmetered dedicated connection in a data center. My question is , since it is a complex dynamic as to the traffic and storage used, practically, how many small sites (mostly static content and unpopular home user / small business sites) can be hosted without seeing any performance impact? I am assuming that on an average 25MB web space will be used by each site and not more than 100 hits on an average per site ( much on the higher side but just in case, there are some who have some audio / video content or files to download etc..). Is it safe to assume that my high end machine will support at least 1000 small sites or I need to have still different / multiple machines to meet my business objective? I will also have another machine located at geographically located far away for hourly backup.

Sincerely appreciate any feedback.

Very best to all

It really is best not to put all your eggs in once basket, you might regret this later.

Also, it is highly recommended unless you have a decent amount of capital to start small, and then work your way up. It might take a long while to get customers regardless how much money you put into advertising. You could get away with the same results for the first few months probably with a lower-spectrum server.

I agree with spike 100%
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

Start small with a low end dedicated then work your way up. Initially you will have less customers and then it will expand expotentially.
    Serverlogix.com - ★★ Managed VPS / Budget Servers / Colocation ★★
    Facilities : Atlanta, Buffalo and Las Vegas
    Web : http://www.serverlogix.comContact Us

Quote Originally Posted by computernet
    Is it safe to assume that my high end machine will support at least 1000 small sites or I need to have still different / multiple machines to meet my business objective? I will also have another machine located at geographically located far away for hourly backup.

Sincerely appreciate any feedback.

Very best to all
    Spreading your services out over several machines is always a good idea. If you tried to host 1000 sites, mail services, dns, mysql, and the control panel all from one box, it might not work out to well, especially if you have a busy mail server. Also consider that if you have all services on one box, and it goes down, your whole operation goes down.