Cisco 2924 not keeping stats on 2 interfaces

OK, so one of my Cisco 2924 switches (WS-C2924-XL) stopped keeping interface statistics on only two interfaces yesterday at the same time. I have tried clear counters, clear interface, and doing a shut no shut. The latter two did something interesting... after performing either of those two commands, the interface statistics increment by 3 packets (and some small number of bytes too), but do not continue to count traffic.

Anyone encountered this before ? Any thoughts on how to remedy this ? Is there a command I can try that I haven't thought of yet ?

I am keeping graphs of bandwidth utilization for all ports on the switch using Cacti, collecting them via snmp. This is how I noticed that the interfaces stopped statistics at the same time... the graphs went to zero at the same time. I have confirmed this problem via the command line on the switch itself.

I have not tried reloading the whole switch, it's got 23 production servers on it... and they are even busy today. I'd rather not have to reload if not needed.

Thanks,
    Mike

I have this very same switch.

My question for you is this: Do the ports still transmit data at full duplex and 100 mbps? If so, then your IOS might have been damaged.

Thanks.
    Jakiao

The ports are set to Auto/Auto but I just realized that when I do:

sh int FastEthernet 0/21

It shows FastEthernet0/22 is down, line protocol is down.

The server on this interface is definitely working just fine. This is the case with one other interface on this switch. Both have worked in the past, and both stopped at the same time, no known event of any kind that may have started this (checked firewall and IDS logs too).

Sounds like there is something going on with your IOS. Do you have any service agreements with Cisco, or was this purchased third-party?
    Jakiao

Quote Originally Posted by M5Host
    The ports are set to Auto/Auto but I just realized that when I do:

sh int FastEthernet 0/21

It shows FastEthernet0/22 is down, line protocol is down.

The server on this interface is definitely working just fine. This is the case with one other interface on this switch. Both have worked in the past, and both stopped at the same time, no known event of any kind that may have started this (checked firewall and IDS logs too).

Ugghh.... I mean FastEthernet 0/21 is down, line protocol is down. Apparently my fingers are fat today.

Reboot Fixed it

I rebooted the switch and the problem went away. downtime was 2 minutes for the people on the switch.

Thakn you guys for your thoughts and ideas.