Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hosting Recommendation - Need solid webmail & reliability

My requirements are actually pretty simple, but I've spent the last few days combing sites trying to narrow down my choices. I haven't had much luck.

I mainly need a host for e-mail, 90% of which will be accessed via the web. There will be about 75 users. It needs to be accessible via SSL, too, and reliability is key.
    Some type of shared addressbook would be nice, as well as a calendar function, but that's something that I can probably do through Squirrel Mail with themes and plugins.

Web traffic and storage will be minimal... I need maybe 200MB storage and bandwidth will be 5GB per month tops. So, to boil it all down:

SSL-accessible Webmail (w/ a good webmail client)
    100 e-mail accounts
    200MB storage
    5GB bandwidth
    High reliability

Around $20/month??

Thanks all! --Shawn

The host that I have now is great having nothing bad to say about that them have had them for a year now they just started blocking some ports that I use for game but they have what you want and are cheap. If you ever have any Problems they will answer support tickets within a few mins. check them out at siteground.com

I think that if you spend $20/month for hosting like that, then you are paying way to much! There are definately much cheaper hosts that fit all of your needs!
    Need C Class Diversity For Your SEO Campaigns?

Get SEO Hosting From Arctic Hosting

You should just get a Microsoft exchange 2003 server but that'd cost a lot more.

My Suggestion: get a VPS and install your own mail software, you will be doing everything yourself, but it would be very reliable since all you're doing is hosting mail on that server, you can also use any webmail client you want instead of what the host provides you with.
    SwiftHost.net - Premium Service, Quality, Benefits.
    We have been providing shared hosting since 2002
    Unique Customer Oriented Policies like 24 Hours Guaranteed Resolution
    www.swifthost.net

I think you should just get a very good shared host that has good webmail!
    Need C Class Diversity For Your SEO Campaigns?

Get SEO Hosting From Arctic Hosting

Just reviews the hosting companies and then select anyone.
    + Sukha
    + Shared Hosting - 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed
    + 24x7x365 Technical Support - Cheap, Reliable and Affordable Hosting Plans
    + http://www.hostingconcept.net

If you get at least a vps, you may want to take a look at

http://www.zimbra.com/

Simply an excellent exchange alternative and has all the functionality you require.

You should be able to get a good vps solution for your budget...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I really wonder if the OP needs a VPS for those very modest needs...
    And a VPS would cost way more than $20 per month anyway IMHO.

I suggest getting a basic shared account with some host that has a good reputation for reliability, plus offers SSL-accessible webmail (ask the prospective host about that).

My 2 cents...
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I suggest getting a basic shared account with some host that has a good reputation for reliability, plus offers SSL-accessible webmail (ask the prospective host about that).
    Id agree with that - however, if they really want to get into group functionality, shared calenders, address books, etc - rather then looking at exchange, there are alternatives

If webmail alone will suffice, then certainly, lots of shared accounts will suffice
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I think people have been looking at budget hosts too long... From what I gather from the OP, he wanted high quality mail services for 75 users for $20/month (total)?

I guess it depends how well you want to define "high quality"...

I think people have been looking at budget hosts too long... From what I gather from the OP, he wanted high quality mail services for 75 users for $20/month (total)?

I guess it depends how well you want to define "high quality"...
    LOL - good point

But, if you stick with a quality, small VPS, and an open source solution like zimbra - it is possible (or at least close to that budget)

If you're speaking high availability, managed exchange servers, etc - then certainly, the costs will be significantly higher
    www.cartika.com

I did not like Zimbra much personally--the UI was very strange. And the big thing, there are no READMEs or installation instructions included with the source download, so I had no idea how to install it. I'm not fond of companies calling things "open source" that aren't usuable.

If you've the money, the best webmail client I've seen (better than GMail included, IMHO) is @Mail. It is extremely expensive, however.

And the big thing, there are no READMEs or installation instructions included with the source download, so I had no idea how to install it. I'm not fond of companies calling things "open source" that aren't usuable.
    http://zimbra.com/products/documentation.html
    www.cartika.com

I'd recommend checking into CartikaHosting.com for your requirements - Andrew and crew really are on the ball with their servers. I don't think I've ever seen a time when their servers (mail or otherwise) were down.

Well if he would shell out $250+ for @mail, then I suggest he look at Microsoft Exchange because even though I'm not a big microsoft fan, Exchange is an amazing piece of software built by Microsoft. There's nothing like it.

And you can get a decent VPS for just email needs around $20/mo, let me know if you decide to go that route, there's some companies I'd definitely recommend.
    www.swifthost.net

Quote Originally Posted by brucebeh
    And you can get a decent VPS for just email needs around $20/mo, let me know if you decide to go that route, there's some companies I'd definitely recommend.
    Bruce -

Go ahead with the recommendations. I'm willing to take a look at that route if it's comparable in price. Thanks.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

If its simply mail - you should also take a very close look at...

www.hyperoffice.com

Simply an outstanding exchange alternative - will cost you more then $20/month (especially for that many users) - but, will be cheaper then exchange..

having said this - you cant go wrong with zimbra either - so, hopefully you can find some decent VPS solutions in your price range....
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by sp7326
    Bruce -

Go ahead with the recommendations. I'm willing to take a look at that route if it's comparable in price. Thanks.

Shawn
    For VPS, I would recommend...

X1Services.com - http://www.x1services.com

They were able to give me a custom plan with the following specs that should well exceed your needs.

1GB of Space
    150GB Bandwidth
    High Reliability as long as you don't crash the server yourself
    Basically Unlimited Number of Accounts
    NO Control Panel
    Choice of, Fedora Core 2, Cent OS 3.5 or Red Hat (i think)

Cost: $14.99/mo, if you need more space, I'm sure you can add a extra few bucks for more space.

Email Darin about it and mention brucebeh for the custom plan to make things easier
    www.swifthost.net

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting
    Hi Shawn,

If its simply mail - you should also take a very close look at...

Simply an outstanding exchange alternative - will cost you more then $20/month (especially for that many users) - but, will be cheaper then exchange..
    Thanks... Hyperoffice sure looks attractive, and I'm quite sure it would fit the bill. As you said, though, for 100 users it's $500/month, which exceeds what I'm able to pay. Some day, maybe!

Thanks again.

Shawn,

There is another product out there similar to HyperOffice called (Exchange like web based program). The company that makes the product is DeskNow, but I know there are hosting companies out there that use it for webmail hosting.

Also, it would be pretty easy to setup and use in house. Wasn't sure if that was a consideration, but if it was, thought I'd toss it out there.

Brian
    Brian Shrift
    www.AdvancedWebmail.net
    Business Hosting Services

Hey shawn, Let us know how it all goes, I'm curious myself to see what would actually have the features you requested
    www.swifthost.net

Thanks... Hyperoffice sure looks attractive, and I'm quite sure it would fit the bill. As you said, though, for 100 users it's $500/month, which exceeds what I'm able to pay. Some day, maybe!
    Hi SP and fair enough. Believe it or not, Hyperoffice is cheaper then a reliable hosted Exchange solution.

Again, you do have alternatives, and Zimbra is a great on. I would avoid "web mail" apps as I dont think they can give you the collaboration features you will want once you get going....
    www.cartika.com

Kerio

You may also want to check out Kerio Mail Server. I've been using it for a while, and it works quite well--they have a great web interface, and it supports calendars, address books, public folders, etc. It's not free, but it's cheaper than exchange would be.

Also, their administration tool can be used on any Mac or Windows machine, making it easy to configure the server.

Please feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions about it.

Hrm, blah, 3+ days later for me to get back to WHT...

No one's explicitly said it, but I think it's apparent: with your budget, you're best bet is to go with a VPS and working with some OSS webmail or collaboration system, managing it yourself or finding someone to do it for you. Besides the plans mentioned here, be sure to check WHT's offer's forum.

My recommendation is wait a few months. H-sphere and other panel distrubutors will be coming out with Exchange2003 hosting.... You can switch then.... in the event you can wait.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast