Competitive pricing

Hello, I'm thinking about reopening my doors to hosting, after designing multiple websites and pointing them towards godaddy, thought maybe I'd host them myself and get an extra piece of the pie.

My question is, how does one like godaddy go about with their pricing? Do they oversell there servers? I was thinking about renting a few cheaper servers from a Savvis seller, for around $90 each. Now that comes with an 80gb hd. So allow around 75gb of files. Godaddy hosts about 5gb acounts from $4. 75/5=15, 15*4=60

How could one like me, who is forced to rent, be able to compete without overselling?

Thanks,
    Ryan

The moment you try to compete on price, you might as well call it quits. There will always be someone cheaper than you. Try to differentiate your business by other means. Competeing on price alone is not the answer.

Don't compete on price - they'll almost always have you beat (although they wildly oversell). You're better off competing on customer service. Just being there for your customers via phone, IM, and ways that show that you really do care.

Cheers,
    Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

As everyone above me said, dont compete to other people prices, especially the big guys. Set your own prices to the lowest possible yet still making the profit you want to make. You have to make your business worth the extra money. Provide outstanding support. Be friendly, make people feel like they are talking to a real life friendly person, not some commision based sales person or support rep. If you design a site for someone there is a high chance they will go with you for the hosting (if they are happy with design). Discount hosting when you design a site. Be creative, make yourself better than the rest, not just by price.

Hmm ok. Iím currently only 14 so I still have school which interferes some with the support, but I can go on the computer at around lunch time (and they donít have msn blocked ), and during my normal free periods.

I understand what your saying, and I want to offer quality hosting without overselling.

Is it possible for larger guys to stack as many people on a server as possible, and then when someone needs more space they move them over to an open server? Like still have the space available but where if they request the space then they can be moved over to a free server for it.

I dont know if I'm getting this but I think by stack you mean bad load management? They dont just throw as many people onto a server as they can. They put as much as they can without losing performance. If a person is offer x GB space they get all the space, they have full use of that space. They dont put people that have 5 gb space on a server that only has 3 GB left.

You should reconsider getting into hosting and ask yourself if you really have the time and dedication required. Its not easy money and simply getting "an extra peice of the pie".

If you just want to host your design clients then consider getting a reseller account of a vps.

Just a heads up because i went into hosting with that sort of mentality and had to give myself a severe kick up the ***
    Aquinox Hosting Solutions - UK Shared Hosting - Providing extensive support above and beyond the service we provide.

Web presence management in partnership with Mando Studios.

Infernus is absolutelly correct, you should think long and hard before you get into this. If you just want to get some money from hosting clients that you design for, I suggest you work out a deal with a good webhositng company that you get some of they money for signing people up to them.

I've done it before, I’m embarrassed to say i worked with Kevin Mah of Website united, so I know about the whole over sale stuff on our end but I didn't know what the competition was doing.

I really enjoy doing this stuff. I’m not in it for money really, my goal with the server would be just to be able to have it self-managed financially without me having to put much extra in each month.

And antonym66, that’s what I was referring about by overselling. I know companies do do that, just don't know how popular it is.

What I was recommending is fitting as many people as possible on a server, and when someone needed more transfer them to a server with more. This isn't necessarily just space, but BW, speed, etc.

Youre name isnt alex barton by any chance? do you happen to know him?
    Aquinox Hosting Solutions - UK Shared Hosting - Providing extensive support above and beyond the service we provide.

No, but I knew who alex was. I nolonger have contact with anyone except 2 other employees that quit with me when we were fed up with his crap.
    I was in charge of the gaming stuff, targetlocked. Although I did have access to all the servers and i did design a few small things for kevin.

To this day I never received a single direct complaint, all were to kevin about his stuff.
    The gaming 1800 number rang my house and cellular phone, if there was a problem I was in the game server in about 15 minutes trying to help them out.

I also was involved in the development of an auto-install script, that kevin stole the code and then shut the project down.

Jesus, was that whole company ran by what must have been 13 year olds?

What has this industry come too ?!

Kevin was 13 at the time. I never had met kevin, I lived in a different time zone than him. And truthfully all kevin did was boss people around on MSN and "manage" the income/server payment.

Most of the server techies were around 19, and he tricked them into believing he was 22 (Don’t remember the exact number).

Please dont start ranting about my age.

What really disgusted me was the way he managed his closure, when he abruptly quit he transferred everyone to madrooster, which he claimed would match the price. And then basically he closed all of his instant messenger accounts, email accounts, and other forms of contact. I managed to call the 1800 which he had not canceled, dial in the gaming department, and then get through to his direct line from there. So I was able to talk to him for about 5 minutes, when he abruptly said (This is what I remember, might not be a direct quotation), "Some things just don't go right. That’s the real world," I replied, "But what about your customers, some company could have closed down because of your decision," in which he promptly replied, "Who cares, I don’t have to deal with them anymore."
    Last edited by neoific; 11-25-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Getting back on topic... You can alwasy transfer them but just remember, that means downtime. You shouldnt have to move them unless they upgrade their hosting package and if they upgrade to more BW, space, etc. then dowtime is something they should be prepared for.

Good point. This right now was just an idea. Another flaw is different IP addresses for FTP, it would get confusing after a while being flung around.

Im still debating about this, I will probably buy this in early december so I still have some time to debate about it all.

I wasnt making personal attacks, so sorry if it came across that way.
    It just amazes me sometimes.

I know, but I have been flamed and mistakenly banned before because of my association with him so I didn't want it to start back up.
    And I dont hold grudges

I wish I could get an internship at my local datacenter... www.worldspice.net

Anyone else have any recommendations? I have thought about a VPS once, still get that shell account and the same BW in most places. Any recommendations for VPS at high-quality datacenter in Dallas or another central town?

If you are looking for a VPS, you might want to check Servint. I have been with them and they are really the best. Their Support is especially great.
    Revo.in :: MyRevo.com
    Revolutionary Web Host, Programmer & Web Consultant
    Our Priorities - Client Satisfaction :: Quality Service :: Creative Growth ::

steadfastnetworks.com offers VPS but I'm not sure if they are in the right location for you.
    Devoted Host
    Quality Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    http://devotedhost.net/
    MegaBlog!