transfer from pc to laptop?

Hi,
    I went away to college without transferring my stuff from my computer at home. Now I am back for thanksgiving and I want to transfer my files onto my laptop (i got a new laptop that was shipped to college). What is the most efficient way to transfer data? Can I use a USB cable and just hook the laptop up to the pc and transfer like that? I don't even know if that would work...

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Ummm, do you have a router or a Hub? you can set up a network and move the files you want...
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

no that wouldnt work the pc is now at my dads office

Crossover cable's may work, and like wbpro said, with a simple network with a router/hub you can transfer large amounts of data.

is there any other way to do it besides over the network?

Quote Originally Posted by zerosix
    is there any other way to do it besides over the network?
    A cross-over ethernet cable directly connecting the two PC's is one way. A USB data transfer cable is another or a laplink cable. If there isn't too much data you can always copy it to a thumb drive to move it or burn it to a CD if the PC has a burner.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Just hope that both computers have USB 2, or you'll get 12Mbps, max.
    Thing is, even if you use USB, do you have a male to male USB cable handy?
    Just yoink the network cable out of his computer, put a cable between yours and his (if you have a modern ethernet card it may even not need a crossover cable) and use that.

My personal favorite, pull the hard drive out of your laptop and stick it into one of the bad boys:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...264&CatId=1204

Connect it to the USB port of the computer you want files from, copy/paste, remove drive and put back in laptop
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Yes, it all depends on how much data you need to transfer. Burning to CD (or better still DVD) would be the most time and cost effective way for a few gigs. Or if they are non-media documents (very unlikely though, where's your music and videos? ), you may even upload them to a remote server ...
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.