What Is The Maximum Number of Files Allowed In Spry, Servint and other VPS ?

Is there a limit in the number of files allowed in Virtuozzo based VPS?

My current Westhost allows only 10% of the size of the diskspace, that is if your plan is 6GB you are only allowed to have about 600,000 files to be created.

Is there any VPS out there that does not set the limit to the number of files to be created? I am afraid that if I use the VPS to resell web hosting I will not have the freedom to resell even if the diskspace is not being used if I myself am reaching the file limit set by the VPS provider for my own web sites hosted on the VPS.

Your input is much appreciated as currently I have Spry and Servint on my mind. If there are any other VPS that is better out there I am open to it.

Sure, you can find within your own VPS there.

Do "cat /proc/user_beancounters" , and look at the variable numfile

That should be the number of file limit in your VPS, this is on the VZ platform.

Have fun.
    Susy Reyes
    http://www.myvpshost.com - Your #1 VPS Solution

Have you managed to use up that quota? Most VPSs won't reach that number of files. If and when you do, I am sure your host can increase that limit for you.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by koushibasaki
    If there are any other VPS that is better out there I am open to it.
    I just sign for Webintellects Linux VPS Plan 1 (http://www.webintellects.com/solutio...alvpsplans.htm) with 15 GB of space. In Plesk I can see the following:

Code:
    Resource     Capacity Total   Used   Available 
    Disk Space    3.2%   15.00 Gb   490.81 Mb   14.52 Gb 
    Disk Inodes   0.31%    15,728,640   48,150   15,680,490
    Are disk inodes what you are looking for? (I'm kind of a newbie in this).

Thats not it, but if you want the true limit of your number of file limit, run this:

cat /proc/user_beancounters|grep numfile

Should give you your answer there.

Thanks.
    Susy Reyes

Quote Originally Posted by MyVPSHost-Susy
    Thats not it, but if you want the true limit of your number of file limit, run this:

cat /proc/user_beancounters|grep numfile

Should give you your answer there.

Thanks.
    Hmm, this just can't be right:
    [
    Code:
    root@admin root]# cat /proc/user_beancounters|grep numfile
                numfile             524        526       1600       1600          0
    So I'm allowed to have 1600 files? One thousand six hundred files? Even the worst free webhosting service have a higher limit. I' m confused...

Thats the limit of open-files, which I believe will affect number of files as well since its opened initally on bootup for quota.

That number is low usually I see it around 60k or so, it may need to be tweaked.
    Susy Reyes

WebIntellects support replied:
    Hello.

You can store as many files as space allows. Maybe we are missing the
    question. The number of open files is limited to 1600.
    Sorry for going too much off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVPSHost-Susy
    Thats the limit of open-files, which I believe will affect number of files as well since its opened initally on bootup for quota.

That number is low usually I see it around 60k or so, it may need to be tweaked.
    And where do you "usually" see numfile being set 60,000? 60,000 open files on a basic VPS to start?

Also, I am pretty sure 1600 is not set in stone.
    Last edited by BeDifferentSolutions; 11-24-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

Was looking through a VZ node here on the example VZ conf files that it had preloaded once VZ is installed.

But looking at previous configs, it is set below 1600 as I see here.

And of coarse it isn't set on stone, its configurable by the administrator to their choice set.
    Susy Reyes

The numfile setting specifically refers to the number of open files that you can have on a VPS at any given time. What you are looking for is the number of diskinodes.

If anyone ever has any specific questions about our beancounter values please feel free to contact us directly. I have included our values below:

VPS Level 100 numfile 1455 inodes 125000
    VPS Level 200 numfile 5820 inodes 500000
    VPS Level 300 numfile 11640 inodes 750000
    VPS Level 400 numfile 11640 inodes 750000

Regards,

Spry
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

What are these limitation actually for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprydotcom
    The numfile setting specifically refers to the number of open files that you can have on a VPS at any given time. What you are looking for is the number of diskinodes.

If anyone ever has any specific questions about our beancounter values please feel free to contact us directly. I have included our values below:

VPS Level 100 numfile 1455 inodes 125000
    VPS Level 200 numfile 5820 inodes 500000
    VPS Level 300 numfile 11640 inodes 750000
    VPS Level 400 numfile 11640 inodes 750000

Regards,

Spry

I am interested in your VPS Level 200. Could you verify that my undestanding of your reply is correct?

numfile = 5820 of concurrent files that can be opened at the same time am I right? Does that mean the server theoritically could have 5820 users opening different files at the same time?

So inodes is the number of different files that I could create (i.e. with the extensions of .jpeg, .gif, .htm. .php. .cgi, .pl, etc) , am I right? If what I understood is correct then in my opinion for a 10GB offered by Spry for the plan is not to my expectation as my current host is offering 1 million files for that kind of size.

Anyway, I will still put Spry under my consideration if I could not find other VPS that suits my budget. Thank you very much for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by koushibasaki
    If what I understood is correct then in my opinion for a 10GB offered by Spry for the plan is not to my expectation as my current host is offering 1 million files for that kind of size.
    The question is if you need place for one million files? My host allows me 15 million (there is no limit, so that is a theoretical border) but I will never need more then max 50 000. So for me it doesn't matter if they offer 15 million or 150 thousand.

You are correct in that numfile is the maximum number of open files allowed on your server. However it does not mean that you can have that number of concurrent users. The reason for this can be best seen by examining how Apache functions upon startup, and when someone connects.

Upon startup Apache will use one of the available file handles to open it's configuration file. It then uses file handles to open connections to log files defined for each domain defined in the configuration file. It also uses file handles to load in modules as well as for the socket for port 80. Therefore when Apache starts, it will use at minimum 4 (one each for the config file and socket, and 2 for the access and error logs) and potentially hundreds. Don't worry, as many of them are released.

When a client connects, multiple file handles are used to place entries in the log files as well as access the html pages, images, and mysql. Because of this, the numfile value does not directly reflect on the number of users that can access your server simultaneously.

As to the inodes, they do represent a limit to the number of files that can be placed on your server, however they do not have a 1:1 correspondence. If you have a large number of small files, you will use up your inodes before your diskspace. The corollary is true as well, you can use up your disk space with a few very large files before you run out of inodes. The values we submitted were set as a reasonable base value for clients as they are finite on a system, just like disk space
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed