Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should We Collect Our Thoughts And Email ICANN...

...about what we think of their settlement with VeriSign?

The public comment period ends in December 4. If we want ICANN to know what
    many people think about what they're doing, now's the time to do so before it's
    too darn late.

I don't know ICANN will give a hoot, anyway. But we'll surely let them know that
    people aren't as stupid and ignorant about these things as the past few years.

Email [email protected] for those who want to send their thoughts
    anyway. You can read the thread here.

Icann will read the public comments and use them to heat up their fireplace in the winter. They do not care
    Domain Maven

Also send you comments to your congressman and senator if in the US. You will find a letter already created on the links below.

http://cfit.info/

http://www.cfit.info/lobby.html

What's going on exactly? Is the whole verisign thing coming back or something?

There is a good chance this may go through. I strongly encourage others to post their opinions via

http://forum.icann.org/lists/settlem...il2.html#00000
    Domain Maven

Some associates of mine are actually preparing a lawsuit to stop this as we speak.

They are not the only ones. I hear there are atleast two(lawsuits) in the works so this will not be as easy for them to do as it sounds.

The folks at ICANN should have a nice surprise waiting for them at their upcoming Vancouver meeting.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

I know a number of people in the general counsel of different registrars and this is the top thing on nearly everyones radar lately
    Domain Maven

So I understand, registrars pay 6 and it may go up to 9 by 2010? You are only talking about 3.00. Why get so upset?

Some people have thousands of domains. $3 isn't a lot but when you have to pay $90k/yr instead of $60k/yr, it is.

A .com is $6 + $.25 to ICANN.. so registrars get them for $6.25, most end users/resellers get them for $6.85 or so.

The settlement agreement allows Verisign to increase the price of .com domain names to every Registrar by 7% every year. Currently Verisign charges all Registrars $6 for every domain name. The new settlement agreement however allows them to increase prices to all of us without any cost justification. They can simply increase the price by 7% EACH year. Any increase in price would mean all Registrars would have to increase their prices to you.

The new settlement agreement also doubles the ICANN fees charged to Registrars. Currently Registrars pay 25 cents per domain name to ICANN. The new agreement will make that 50 cents. This again means all Registrars will further increase what they charge all of you for dotCom Domain Names.

The new settlement agreement has a perpetual presumptive renewal clause. This means that Verisign will permanently hold on to the dotCom Registry. There will never be any competitive bid for it, except in a very remote circumstance. Verisign now gets the rights to a perpetual monopoly. This means that they are free to do whatever they want with dotCom, without fear of competition. Prices therefore will never reduce.

For more info:
    http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements...agreements.htm

The part with regards to pricing is in Section 7.3:
    http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements...nt-22sep05.pdf

So yeah, I would say to make your thoughts known wherever you think it is applicable.
    Last edited by Website Rob; 11-26-2005 at 02:41 AM.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

10 years, doubled domain prices, and thats what the registrars have to pay!!!!!!!!

We really to make our opinions about this known everywhere and anywhere, hosts, the anyone who resells, and buys domains needs to worry about this.

If the REGISTRARS have to pay $12 in 10 years, just imagine what they will charge us!

I agree with tucows position ( and also respect them as a company), however I also realize that tucows/denic was one of the companies that bidded for .net control and lost (maybe some sour grapes?)
    Domain Maven

Perhaps or a well drafted promise.

Great comment, everyone should read this...

http://forum.icann.org/lists/settlem.../msg00057.html

Hmm... eyh eyh, domain will cost 10$! Oh my good! We'LL bancrupt, what our families gonna eat, how we ganna live!! aAaA!
    I dont know... for me its a bit rediculous novadays prices... almost 0.99... interesting what prices we'll gonna have after 10 years. 0.00$? Companies like 1and1 will offer domains with hosting account...today you can get bunch of coupons with 50% disscount :/ From one side i agree with price rising... we have subdomains!
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

Quote Originally Posted by e-view
    Hmm... eyh eyh, domain will cost 10$! Oh my good! We'LL bancrupt, what our families gonna eat, how we ganna live!! aAaA!
    I dont know... for me its a bit rediculous novadays prices... almost 0.99... interesting what prices we'll gonna have after 10 years. 0.00$? Companies like 1and1 will offer domains with hosting account...today you can get bunch of coupons with 50% disscount :/ From one side i agree with price rising... we have subdomains!

Perhaps you should read up on the topic and you will find it's not just about a price hike.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBaHost
    Perhaps you should read up on the topic and you will find it's not just about a price hike.
    And i was talking only about the price...
    Radijas internete - fm.lt - online radio stations, 400 best world radio station to listen with one click! !

Hmm... eyh eyh, domain will cost 10$! Oh my good! We'LL bancrupt, what our families gonna eat, how we ganna live!!

If spending $10.00 on a domain name is preventing your family from eating I would suggest you buy a loaf of bread and milk and skip the domain name.

Domain Maven

Thats the main point.. you'll feel nothing :/

The thing that bugged me is that Verisign's contract to manage the .com registry
    was extended. That's a stark contrast to their being "forced" to bid for .net.

Let's just hope they (icann) is wearing body armour for the meeting coming up
    Domain Maven

Well here's a copy of the first lawsuit being filed for those of you that are

interested http://wadnd.com/Complaint(ver4).pdf
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    Well here's a copy of the first lawsuit being filed for those of you that are

interested http://wadnd.com/Complaint(ver4).pdf
    That should help keep costs down. Who do they think pays for the litigation costs? Registrars and Registrants. Not ICANN.

From the ICANN budget:

Litigation

Significant litigation expenses have exacerbated the current resource shortfall. During the current fiscal year, litigation expenses and associated outside services agreements will exceed the budgeted amount. ICANN is closely and economically managing litigation through a combination of ICANN staff work and judicious use of outside counsel.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Stargate.com
    That should help keep costs down. Who do they think pays for the litigation costs? Registrars and Registrants. Not ICANN.

From the ICANN budget:

Litigation

Significant litigation expenses have exacerbated the current resource shortfall. During the current fiscal year, litigation expenses and associated outside services agreements will exceed the budgeted amount. ICANN is closely and economically managing litigation through a combination of ICANN staff work and judicious use of outside counsel.

-Tom

I assume you prefer the alternative?

Why not simply allow them to do whatever they wish and NOT be held accountable for simply handing over hundreds of millions of dollars to versign with absolutely no justification.

Sorry, if that increases your dues a bit but it's going to happen either way in either situation. My guess is you'll be paying less supporting the right cause.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

I assume you prefer the alternative?

Why not simply allow them to do whatever they wish and NOT be held accountable for simply handing over hundreds of millions of dollars to versign with absolutely no justification.

Sorry, if that increases your dues a bit but it's going to happen either way in either situation. My guess is you'll be paying less supporting the right cause.
    Yes. I do support the agreement.

It doesn't increase my dues, it increases costs to the Registrants. ICANN fees are passed on to the Registrants. Registrars are just a means of collecting the fees for ICANN.

-Tom

Since we are just talking about the price increase and not the other parts of the argument, I am curious as to why you think it's ok for them to raise the prices? There is no added service in mind.

You may think this price hike has little effect on you, which it most likely does. It will have very little effect on me personally as well, does that stop me from disagreeing with the proposed settlement? Of course it doesn't.

Now lets assume that you are a large domain name trader and make a living off of it (yes there are people that do that and do it well). Lets assume you have a small portfolio of 10,000 domains. Currently you most likely pay somewhere around $70,000.00 yearly for those domains. With this proposed hike you could be taking about $30,000.00 increase in what you have to pay easily. That person may not be able to put food on the table now.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Yes. I do support the agreement.

It doesn't increase my dues, it increases costs to the Registrants. ICANN fees are passed on to the Registrants. Registrars are just a means of collecting the fees for ICANN.

-Tom
    So having your clients eventually pay double than what they do now is ok with you as long as you have justification to charge them that? i.e you are being forced by the registry.

I guess that sure beats the extra .$25 ICANN may charge you, if that.

The only reason ICANN is folding to verisign now is because the lawsuit that versign was holding over them. The truth is, if there was open bidding for the handling of the registry, people would be paying LESS per domain than they do now.
    Last edited by enetwork; 11-28-2005 at 11:32 PM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

So having your clients eventually pay double than what they do now is ok with you as long as you have justification to charge them that? i.e you are being forced by the registry.

I guess that sure beats the extra .$25 ICANN may charge you, if that.

The only reason ICANN is folding to verisign now is because the lawsuit that versign was holding over them. The truth is, if there was open bidding for the handling of the registry, people would be paying LESS per domain than they do now.
    This has nothing to do with how you or I justify a pricing model. There are clearly those Registrars who have chosen to take a loss on each domain, and those who decide to make a profit. Regardless what a Registries cost is, there will always be healthy competition and different pricing structures amongst Registrars.

Paying less does not always mean better. I am a firm believer in strong infrastructure, quality support staff and innovative services from a Registry. I deal with Registries on a daily basis and those items, in my opinion, do not come without a cost.

-Tom

This has nothing to do with how you or I justify a pricing model. There are clearly those Registrars who have chosen to take a loss on each domain, and those who decide to make a profit. Regardless what a Registries cost is, there will always be healthy competition and different pricing structures amongst Registrars.

Paying less does not always mean better. I am a firm believer in strong infrastructure, quality support staff and innovative services from a Registry. I deal with Registries on a daily basis and those items, in my opinion, do not come without a cost.

-Tom
    Can you list the added innovative services Verisign has provided you in the past? Was SiteFinder one of those? Or how about WLS/CLS? Those two are real innovative to Verisigns pocketbook not strengthening infrastructure. Also it would seem to me that with the increase of money needed to be accredited would stiffle competition aswell as increase prices even more. Some of those with bargin prices with slim profit margins might decide it's not worth continuing.
    Last edited by WannaBaHost; 11-29-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Also if you can explain to me why it is that it took them so long to change over to rapid updating of the DNS when others were doing it for quite some time before. You would think being the "old timers" and making more money than the others they would be way ahead of the field in "innovation" not way behind. Think it could be there wasn't really any motivation to do so?
    Last edited by WannaBaHost; 11-29-2005 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBaHost
    Also if you can explain to me why it is that it took them so long to change over to rapid updating of the DNS when others were doing it for quite some time before. You would think being the "old timers" and making more money than the others they would be way ahead of the field in "innovation" not way behind. Think it could be there wasn't really any motivation to do so?
    This is because verisign would prefer to milk the cash cow than spend any money on improvements which further lends to the question What do they intend to do with the increase?
    Domain Maven

And another......

The Coalition for ICANN Transparency Inc. (CFIT) filed suit today against VeriSign, Inc. and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) seeking various judicial rulings and an injunction relating to the new .net and proposed .com Registry Agreements. The complaint was filed in U.S. District Court in San Jose, Calif. and will likely dominate the discussion when ICANN convenes later this week in Vancouver, Nov. 30 – Dec. 4.

http://www.cfit.info/press2.html

Get ready to ante up those legal fees.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

There are too many focused on the the minor issue of the Verisign/ICANN settlement. Verisign appears to be on a campaign to exploit this and get this deal signed and alot of posts being made in favor of it with similar wordings today. Whether you are for or against please let your voice be heard at [email protected] .

http://forum.icann.org/lists/settlement-comments/

Weigh your thoughts on all of the real issues and more that you may have.

WildcardDNS/SiteFinder
    WLS/CLS/Expired domain monopoly
    Perpetual presumptive renewal clause
    $200M R&D commitment disappears
    Traffic data sales
    ICANN fee doubles
    7% a year increase

And so it begins... Prime time media coverage now.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/29/tech...reut/index.htm

Also, you can read in the article above how ICANN basically handed Verisign this agreement on the terms that they drop their pending lawsuit against them

Does this sound like a non-biased decision to you?
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Icann and verisign are quite experienced in litigation. I think only the real heavyweights (Godaddy, Netsol etc) will get Icann's/Verisigns attention
    Domain Maven

Finally an article focusing on the real issues rather than just the 7% increase.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051129/icann...uits.html?.v=3

The meeting in vancouver is two days so far, anyone hear anything?
    Domain Maven

Round 1 goes to ICANN, grrrr....

http://www.icann.org/announcements/a...nt-30nov05.htm

A US Federal Judge has ruled in ICANN’s favor and denied an application for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against ICANN sought by industry group CFIT in the US District Court, Northern District of California.

The application for a TRO was an attempt to block the proposed settlement of a long-standing dispute between ICANN and VeriSign.

ICANN continues to seek comment from the public and its various stakeholder groups on the proposed settlement during this week’s ICANN meetings taking place in Vancouver, Canada.

Figured that was going to happen
    Domain Maven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast