Thread: php or jsp?

php or jsp?

does anybody know a good source that investigated this issue before?
    which is better, php or jsp?

Better for what?

I tire of these endless 'language x versus y' posts. They are silly and pointless. If you dont know enough about either platform you have no business asking such pointless questions.

If on the other hand you did know about both platforms, then you would not be here asking the question.

Anyway, since I am feeling charitable, I will bite. I am guessing you are either a complete newb to programming and have somehow concluded that you need to learn php or java (completely ignoring many other equally sensible choices), or have a project that you want hired out and you need to know what platform to have it coded in.

If its the latter, you arent ready to hire someone...
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Better in what way?

In order for anyone here to help you, you will need to list out what you want to make or have made. (Type of site, what you want it to do in general etc).

I've played around with both... jsp mostly at its very beginning stages. here are my thoughts:

jsp is hell because java is hell. it's hell to compile, it's hell to deploy and it's hell to write because of it's hellish error messages... oh yeah.. hellish containers like tomcat. other than that jsp is a pretty powerful language since it's based off of java and it's highly capable. fast as hell too.

php is nice. they just started really getting into object oriented kinda stuff, but it works just fine. there's a lot more community support out there and it's really easy to use. no hellish errors, no compiling, easy to write, almost just as capable webwise for most anything you want to do... actually in many ways its more capable.

there arent as many tutorials on how to use MVC with php since a lot of phper's aren't real mvc kind of people, nor are all of them OO people.

i ported all my products from jsp to php with no problem. coding is almost basically the same if you halfway know what you're doing and php is just easier to deal with.

if i had the choice id always go php.

but honestly i learned how to program on java/jsp/servlets and it really gave me a great foundation for all my knowledge and made me a much better programmer overall i think. it was hell, but as much as i say that it was entirely worth it and i wouldn't do it over a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by ioda006
    but honestly i learned how to program on java/jsp/servlets and it really gave me a great foundation for all my knowledge and made me a much better programmer overall i think. it was hell, but as much as i say that it was entirely worth it and i wouldn't do it over a different way.
    I would like to add that the same principle applies to PHP too. PHP was the first ever programming language I learnt. It helps me to understand the concept of (web) programming. Maybe it's not that good at OO yet, but once you understand the fundamental, it's easy to pickup the rest.
    DevOps!

I started with Perl, with which the similarity to PHP led me to learn it. Therefore, I try to do most everything in PHP. So if I were to have an "overall" better language (for those who don't belive in overall best languages, bear with me, I don't either), I would choose PHP.

I learnt C++ first, then PHP, then Java/JSP. I must say that although JSP does have its advantages its a bit of pain to use and its best use is a large scale enterprise environment where you have a large number of users working on the same project, and need to split up your project into mutiple tiers. If you want to do small projects, or learn a language I would go with PHP.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers