Masters of Their Domains - who do they register with?

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/arti...132510,00.html

Today, Schwartz owns about 5,000 names, with less than a third falling into the “adult” category. He’s the industry’s biggest promoter, preaching the power of domains to anyone who will listen and bringing domainers together with moneymen and execs from the likes of Google (GOOG) and Yahoo (YHOO). He sports a $65,000 Rolex on his left wrist, a $32,000 diamond bracelet on his right, and is astounded that he -- a community college dropout -- is living like a king in a waterfront house in Boca Rato

i just like to know who did he register with with 5,000 names even with his own reseller account...that's a lot of money.

people like ultsearch and buydomains had/has 200,000 - 500,000 domains and many others too.

its not about quantity, its about quality
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Quantity vs Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Bashar
    people like ultsearch and buydomains had/has 200,000 - 500,000 domains and many others too.

its not about quantity, its about quality
    If you're a millionnaire you can afford to buy thousands of names, park them, generate ad revenue, and wait for a buyer to show up.

I can't afford quality neither because even thisdomainistoolongandirrevalenttogeneratetraffic.ws is selling for $60.

The market is currently bloated and it will burst. That's where the money is going to be made. Position yourself to be there to gather as many names as possible.

In the meanwhile I have decided to develop my domain names and generate traffic and value for resale.

Bashar's right. Quality is where it's at. If a domain's only making a dollar a month, it's barely paying for itself. The problem is figuring out which domains are monetizable. I'm surprised that some of my single word domains don't do well at all, while odd two-word phrases make actual bankable profit.

As far as the market being bloated and it's inevitable burst goes, I'm not so sure. If you're really wanting to be 'in the game' if/when the time comes, you're going to need really deep pockets. Because even if there is a shake-out, the quality domains will still have value to more than one person, and the deepest pockets always win those sorts of battles.

The market is currently bloated and it will burst. That's where the money is going to be made. Position yourself to be there to gather as many names as possible.
    I disagree. I'm new to the game, but as I understand it the bubble burst around 1999/2000 and it's still recovering. Domain names are a bit like real estate. Only 1 person can own the same unique piece of property at one time. There is a finite number of quality domains available at a finite number of tld's. It's going to become harder and harder to get top quality names, and consequently the only way is up.

In the meanwhile I have decided to develop my domain names and generate traffic and value for resale.
    I think this is a very sensible decision. How long do you take developing a domain before launch? How many pages do you start with? How do you monetize them? Sell products? Affiliates? Adsense?

This article about domainers makes me wonder: Are all the good names gone? Is it too late?

What I mean is: Is there still money to be made for people that's not started or is it too late to start now? Or could you still come up with good names that no one thought of yet?

Or is the only way these days to buy expired names in auctions or buy directly from those who are selling domain names?

Let's put it this way: most of the good names are taken, but a very creative, alert,
    and dedicated person can surely grab at least one, especially if it's overlooked.

Seems like this old thread got resurrected If you follow the link in the first message now you don't get to any news about Scwartz anymore. But what I did find interesting on the new page was mentioning of NBCOlympics.com traffic soaring. Looks like a clear case of cybersquatting to me

davezan: Ok, thanks for the answer. I'll just have to be creative then

I guess the business of buying existing domain names and snatch expiring ones is growing as more and more good domain names been taken.

stu2: Yeah, I resurrected it because I read it recently. Here's a working link for the Master of their Domains article:

http-cant-link-because-of-newbie-rules://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/12/01/8364591/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    http://www.business2.com/b2/web/arti...132510,00.html

Today, Schwartz owns about 5,000 names, with less than a third falling into the “adult” category. He’s the industry’s biggest promoter, preaching the power of domains to anyone who will listen and bringing domainers together with moneymen and execs from the likes of Google (GOOG) and Yahoo (YHOO). He sports a $65,000 Rolex on his left wrist, a $32,000 diamond bracelet on his right, and is astounded that he -- a community college dropout -- is living like a king in a waterfront house in Boca Rato

i just like to know who did he register with with 5,000 names even with his own reseller account...that's a lot of money.

He initially paid $100 for most of the good domains back when Network Solutions was the only game in town.

I do also know he also purchased several in the thousands of dollars range back in the mid 90's. Good foresight on his part.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Quote Originally Posted by enetwork
    I do also know he also purchased several in the thousands of dollars range back in the mid 90's. Good foresight on his part.
    Isn't this the chap calling himself the "Domain King"?

He claims to have this incredible foresight, but he only snagged a handful of truly fantastic domains. If he was the first person on the planet to have this foresight (which he claimed he was) then he would have secured hundreds and hundreds of truly fantastic domains, instead of just a handful.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Isn't this the chap calling himself the "Domain King"?

He claims to have this incredible foresight, but he only snagged a handful of truly fantastic domains. If he was the first person on the planet to have this foresight (which he claimed he was) then he would have secured hundreds and hundreds of truly fantastic domains, instead of just a handful.
    Yes, that is him. I don't think he claims himself as the first rather one of several pioneers.

I think at the time it was more an issue of money. $100 per domain isn't cheap for someone starting a new business venture.

Once he did gain enough funds he headed straight for the aftermarket and started buying domains from people for thousands that are now worth millions.

BTW I was at that conference and in that hummer they mention towards the end of that artcle ;-) .
    Last edited by enetwork; 02-15-2006 at 11:26 AM.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

. . . Once he did gain enough funds he headed straight for the aftermarket and started buying domains from people for thousands that are now worth millions.
    I've seen the list of domains that are his best, and I think men.com was the only one that would/has fetched $1.3M. I'd like to know where all these other million dollar domains are. He doesn't list them.

Yes, that is him. I don't think he claims himself as the first rather one of several pioneers.
    From this article -
    In hindsight it is amazing that everyone else missed what Schwartz saw. Schwartz said, “I think it was just too simple. It’s like not seeing the forest for the trees. When I think that I competed with 6 billion other people that had the same opportunity, at the same time and they all missed it...well that gives me fuel to do even more. It is the ultimate satisfaction!”
    He's claiming he's the only one who saw it. That's how I read that paragraph.

I've seen the list of domains that are his best, and I think men.com was the only one that would/has fetched $1.3M. I'd like to know where all these other million dollar domains are. He doesn't list them.
    Most of his most valuable domains are adult and I'd rather not mention them here. He also owns domains such as Candy.com, Property.com, Properties.com and many more.

He makes atleast 7 figures a year in revenues from the type-in traffic his domains receieve. That without him lifting a finger. There is no disputing the man is successful in his business.

I'm not here to speak for him nor do I represent him any way. Just telling you my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

From this article -

He's claiming he's the only one who saw it. That's how I read that paragraph.
    Knowing the guy and when he speaks in these terms, he is referring to "they" as corporate America.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Schwartz reportedly paid $700,000 for property.com, so he didn't buy them all for $100.

As for whether or not decent names are available, a lot of the current action seems to be around grabbing domains related to news events and new celebrities. Remember the "popesquatting" excitement last year? It's not for everyone, for sure, and some of these may encounter UDRP challenges.
    RichM
    Game Server Hosting Guide
    Premier Directory of Game Server Providers

He was pretty ahead of time. I think he stated to have made over 25 Million from names
    Domain Maven

. . . He makes atleast 7 figures a year in revenues from the type-in traffic his domains receieve. That without him lifting a finger. There is no disputing the man is successful in his business.
    Oh yeah, he has some fantastic domains, but my point is if he was the first to see this opportunity (as he claimed he was), he'd have more and better domains. There were probably hundreds of other folks out there who had registered domains, for example, sex.com, cars.com, boats.com, houses.com etc etc etc.

By the time he latched onto this, many others had already gone before him, and secured the truly fantastic domains. He probably would have been in that first group though, but just not the very first person like he claims.