Switching registrars

I want to jump from Network Solutions to another registrar before my domain expires next month. Any caveats?

No trouble

Simply make sure your contact info is correct, especially the Email address, then start the xfer by going to the new registrar and asking for an xfer, you will get an Email (in most cases, it has a link and numbers to enter) then wait for 5 or 6 days thats all there is 2 it.

There is a list on the ICANN website of there "Lets call it Tier 1" registrars, make sure you check there to make sure no middle man is cheating you !

I never had problems, but to make sure that no lawyer or something is around, I can not guarentee anything
    ---------------------------------------
    Image Hosting
    Web Hosting

I switched from N.S. several years ago, since managing my domain there was like being in North Korea.
    Right, you just choose a well-reputed registrar (I use Dotster - not the cheapest one, I know...) and do as above ^ ^ ^
    Best of Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I have switched all the domains I personally own to namecheap.com. In all, I transferred 12 domains with no problems whatsoever.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Before initiating the transfer, ensure the domain does not have a Registrar-Lock on it... If it does, you must sign into the domain account at Network Solutions, and clear their "Domain Protect" setting. This requires an eMail Confirmation from the domain holder.

Be prepared... If mishandled, it can easily consume a couple of weeks to complete, if misqueues occur along the way. They {Network Solutions} seem to try and make it difficult to leave... If the domain expires before the transfer is complete, it will fail!
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

Yea, i forgot to mention the lock, By the way, if there is less than 1 week to the expiery, i guess the safest way is to renew for 1 year at netsol and then transfer (you will get an extra year over the domain....)
    ---------------------------------------
    Image Hosting
    Web Hosting

And as silly as it sounds, make sure the email address listed on the domain is current and accessible to you. I've run into several clients in the past that have closed accounts prior to updating their name and it becomes a nightmare. Faxing proof of identity to registrars, etc.

It should be a really painless process though. Good luck.
    Matt Toback .:|:. Ubersmith
    Infrastructure Automation, Billing, & Helpdesk Software
    http://www.ubersmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by rrdega
    Before initiating the transfer, ensure the domain does not have a Registrar-Lock on it...
    Oh no. It's locked and I have yet to find a menu on the network systems page to unlock it.

The only account I have access to at Network Solutions has no more domains in it, { All transferred away now... }, so I cannot see the page with the options any longer... But I believe there is a link in there called "Domain Protect," or something like that... Go through there.

It does not result in an instantaneous clearing of the Registrar-Lock, however. By initiating the removal of Domain Protect, an eMail will be sent to the eMail Address of the Registrant for confirmation. So patience is due... Network Solutions is not known for their rapid responses...
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

Thanks, rrdega. It was the unprotect field.

I'm a NameCheap Customer it's got a simple transfer process you can start it on the front page under "Transfer Domains to Namecheap".
    Read Tabloids - Warning Experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomguy01
    I'm a NameCheap Customer it's got a simple transfer process you can start it on the front page under "Transfer Domains to Namecheap".
    That is how most transfers are handled. You still need to follow the basics though and the domain must still be unlocked before you can transfer it.

Transfer in progress with Network Systems being professional as usual. In the old days, I wouldn't have minded paying more for their service, but got to cut costs, even if only 20 bucks.

Re: domain locks. Is it common for a domain registration name to get hijacked?