AITdomains accidentally deletes 500 .org names

For those interested

November 11, 2005 -- Public Information Registry (pir.org) said on Monday that it was not at fault for a recent incident between itself and AITdomains's (aitdomains.com) registrar system, which resulted in a large number of .org domains being deleted and placed in redemption.

PIR is the operator of the .org registry. AITdomains is the domain name division of Web hosting provider AIT (ait.com).

David Maher, senior vice president of law and policy for Public Information Registry, said the "unfortunate incident" stemmed from a malfunction at AIT. "We have firm evidence the delete commands came from AIT," says Maher.

Maher says the deleted domains, estimated to number around 500, are back online after being down for approximately four days.

Maher said the two companies have agreed to work together and are willing to enter neutral arbitration if necessary.

AIT said last week that it had begun an investigation of the incident in conjunction with ICANN.

http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/1...n_Deletion.cfm
    Domain Maven

Correct my math if I'm wrong, but the Registry charges $80 redemption fee per
    domain name, isn't it? Because if that's so, then $80 x 500 = $40,000.00.

That's a lot of dough to pay for a mistake. Whew!

I thought the same thing, I think AIT is trying to not have to pay by saying it is a PIR mistake
    Domain Maven

Perhaps it's more about diluting a possible PR nightmare (company reputation) than just that $40k. Who knows.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

You might be correct. One has to wonder how 500 .org names got deleted in the first place?
    Domain Maven

Quote Originally Posted by dmaven
    You might be correct. One has to wonder how 500 .org names got deleted in the first place?
    AIT's admin fell asleep on the delete key hehe..
    Read Tabloids - Warning Experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomguy01
    AIT's admin fell asleep on the delete key hehe..
    If that's true, his/her head's next.

Quote Originally Posted by davezan
    If that's true, his/her head's next.
    I would be thinking their fingers would be chopped

Domain Maven

any news how it happened?

someone it was security hole and a hacker deleted em?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi